Question

Black screen upon log on

My toshiba laptop screen is blank when I log on. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Black screen upon log on
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Black screen upon log on
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Next, try safe mode.
- Collapse -
Safe mode

Can start it in safe mode but I don't know how to fix it.

- Collapse -
Sorry but we have to be very specific.

The machine started normally but you claim you could not log in without a black screen. So it's a sure bet that you can start in SAFE MODE but can you log in. These are two very different areas or procedures (starting Windows versus logging in.)

So once you can boot and log in using Safe Mode you can use System Restore to a date it worked.
Bob

- Collapse -
Safe mode

It's showing a black screen in safe mode... Ugh. It will let me log on as guest but I do not know my administer password to restore.

- Collapse -
Will boot

My computer will boot and I can log in under guest and works normally but I don't have access to admistrator. When I log myself the screen is black with an A in the upper right hand corn (my antivirus saying my computer is perfect health). Even when I try to log on via safe mode, the screen is the same.

- Collapse -
That sounds like a CORRUPT PROFILE.

But you bring up a new question. Why don't you have access to the administrator? If it's a password issue we can reset it in about 5 minutes for FREE using NTPASSWD (see google on how to create the boot CD and use it.)

Google this -> Corrupt Profile Windows 7

It does happen and what I'm a little surprised at is Microsoft has never offered a cure for this. That is, they have us copy over the stuff in that account then delete the old account. Very odd. Seems to me that someone is not listening at that company.
Bob

- Collapse -
Thanks

I haven't gotten there yet, but it looks like its going to work. I'll let you know.

You've been a tremendous help!

- Collapse -
Thanks for helping yourself out.

The terminology gets some upset at times so good to find folk that are willing to keep trying until we can find our footing and make some headway.
Bob

CNET Forums