Computer Help forum

General discussion

black screen problem

by DJRemix666 / November 1, 2011 2:51 AM PDT

hi, i recently installed a fresh install of windows 7 home premium 64bit in my computer and all worked fine until i restarted the computer and nothing came up on the screen even the bios screen and i tried to plug another screen and it does the same and i tried replacing the video card with a spear one i had and nothing happened too so i tried to remove completely the video card and plug the screen on the onboard one and nothing happen too. anyone have an idea ? thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: black screen problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: black screen problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No BIOS screen means the machine needs repairs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2011 2:56 AM PDT
In reply to: black screen problem

You can try the generic resets (unplug the power, hold the power button for 60 seconds, release and test.) But it's not Windows since the BIOS does not rely on Windows to work.
Bob

Collapse -
nothing
by DJRemix666 / November 1, 2011 3:55 AM PDT

thanks for your help but nothing happened too

Collapse -
It was worth a try.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2011 3:59 AM PDT
In reply to: nothing

But consider the details given so far. No make, model, if the fans spin, etc.

It could be the old story about the owner who installed a high powered video card and blew out the power supply. But without make, model, STORY and more we are left with not much to try.
Bob

Collapse -
ok
by DJRemix666 / November 1, 2011 4:30 AM PDT
In reply to: It was worth a try.

well its a acer aspire m5641 with a Intel Pentium Dual Core E2220 of 2.20 Ghz and 4GB ram 2x2GB and 2 harddrive one of 500GB and another one of 250GB both are SATA and a video card of 512 MB its a NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT and i have a 650W Power Supply. ohh and i have a card reader and 2 dvd writer

Collapse -
Those 8800's are dropping like flies.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2011 4:36 AM PDT
In reply to: ok

And taking out power supplies along the way.

Use a Voltmeter and measure each leg.

Again, you left out a detail such as the FANS DON"T SPIN UP.

Finally, since the power hungry video card is optional, why not try the original PSU?
Bob

Collapse -
well
by DJRemix666 / November 1, 2011 4:54 AM PDT

well all the fans are spinning cpu fan are spinning and psu fans are spinning but one of the fan of the psu making noice but i dont think its gonna affect the power and i did removed the video card to replace it with a spear one i have its a NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS and nothing happened so i tried without a video card in the PCI-E Slot and plug the screen direclty to the onboard integrated video card and nothing happened too and i tried another screen nothing happened too so its not the psu , not the video card and not the screen i think its something with the mother board or the bios or maybe just a pci card or ram what you think ?

Collapse -
Think about it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2011 5:26 AM PDT
In reply to: well

I noted how 8800s are dropping like flies and taking out the PSUs. You have a blank screen, a noisy PSU and have not tried (a) measuring the PSU legs for the proper voltages and (b) have not swapped in the original PSU for a test (without the power hungry video cards.)

At this rate I fear you may lose the machine or visit a repair counter.
BOb

Collapse -
by DJRemix666 / November 1, 2011 5:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Think about it.

i tried removing rams and the motherboard is doing continious beeps so the motherboard is fine i did the same with pci cards and etc but now i noticed something when i power on the computer with all components in the computer the POST is doing 2 short beeps thats mean POST has failed, caused by a failure of one of the hardware tests so im going to try hardware one by one and after that im going to test psu voltage if its not a hardware ill let you know

Collapse -
Beeps.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2011 6:10 AM PDT
In reply to: ...

This is the first post I read about beeps. Those beeps are proper if the RAM is removed.
Bob

Collapse -
by DJRemix666 / November 1, 2011 6:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Beeps.

i pluged the original psu and removed the video card and its still doing the 2 short beeps and unpluged the second hard drive and the second dvd writer and removed the pci network card and its still doing the 2 short beeps Sad

Collapse -
by DJRemix666 / November 1, 2011 7:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Beeps.

now i tried to unplug the first hdd and the first dvd writer and plug second hdd and dvd writer back and nothing happened i tried to unplug the card reader nothing happened and i tried both of rams one by one and nothing happened too Sad

Collapse -
No beeps is not good.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2011 7:29 AM PDT

But when you see a machine keel over when HDD or dvd writers are plugged in, the old IDE machines did that when there was a cable, drive fault or it was plugged in wrong.

It's a clue but the details are so slim here.
Bob

Collapse -
by DJRemix666 / November 1, 2011 8:02 AM PDT
In reply to: No beeps is not good.

every hardware i remove to test its still doing the 2 short beeps now im really worrying about if its my mother board

Collapse -
Removing RAM will give lots of beeps.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2011 8:15 AM PDT
In reply to: black screen problem

Removing the HDD should be less beeps and we should see video unless the PSU has failed. This is why I use a Volt Meter.

Sorry but a Volt Meter is basic gear when doing PC repairs. Do you have one?
Bob

Collapse -
by DJRemix666 / November 1, 2011 8:23 AM PDT

no i dont have one but i removed the 650w psu and replaced it with the original one and removed the video card and removed the second hdd and second dvd writer its all components that didnt came with my computer so i tried with the components i had with the computer only and its still doing the 2 short beeps everything i do its always 2 short beeps except when i remove all the ram its doing a long beep

Collapse -
Stop doing that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2011 9:10 AM PDT

Removing the RAM is going to give it troubles. And you may damage the RAM or sockets by fiddling with that.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?