Computer Help forum

General discussion

Black screen Dell Dimension E310

by hmatthewcooper / May 27, 2007 3:11 AM PDT

I recently disabled my plug-in video card and enabled my onboard video card. I rebooted and went to the setup (f2) screen and selected my onboard card as the default startup video adapter. While I was there I changed the harddrive performance settings from bypass to performance if that has any relevancy here. I rebooted again and now it's a total black screen. no video signal at all, not even the boot up screen. When I turn the computer off or on sometimes I'm able to hear chimes. Does anybody know how I can re-enable one of my video cards with a black screen? does anybody have any informed advice for me? PLEASE HELP!?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Black screen Dell Dimension E310
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Black screen Dell Dimension E310
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Too
by hmatthewcooper / May 27, 2007 3:14 AM PDT

oh yeah I'm running windows xp

Collapse -
Tried Rebooting In Safe Mode ??
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 27, 2007 3:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Too

...and making the changes while in Safe Mode?
How To Start In 'Safe Mode'

If it starts in Safe Mode, revisit Device Manager and make sure only one card is enabled and shows that it is working properly.

If normal Safe Mode won't load, try rebooting, press the F8 key once per second till a selection screen loads.. Use the "up/down" arrow keys to select "Enable VGA Mode", then press the "Enter" key..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
thanks
by hmatthewcooper / May 27, 2007 3:22 AM PDT

thanks for the advice but I have no screen to select any options on. ANybody know how many times to hit the arrow keys and whatnot?

Collapse -
You Don't See Anything During POST?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 27, 2007 8:01 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

That sounds more like a monitor issue.. During the initial stages of the boot, can you access the BIOS by pressing the appropriate F key? Even if the video card is incorrect, you should be able to see the F8 options.. If there is nothing on the screen at all, it might be a bad monitor.. Have you tried swapping in a known good monitor?

I would also try physically removing the plug-in card from the PCI/AGP slot to see if it will cause the onboard video to take over.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
the simplest of things
by hmatthewcooper / May 27, 2007 12:00 PM PDT

The monitor cable was still attached to my plug-in video adapter and I had succeeded in switching to my onboard chipset...so....I had to plug the cord into the onboard card...

whoops...

Thanks for all the help everyone,

C

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.