Computer Help forum

Question

Black screen and no internet

by Ellagonavalon / October 6, 2013 9:51 AM PDT

Hi, came home last night and my laptop was working. Put it to sleep (closed the case) and went to bed.

At 9am it suddenly started playing music from a youtube tab, even though it was on Sleep mode. openedthe laptop but it was just a black screen with a cursor. So I powered it down and went to sleep. again.

Woke up, and tried to use my laptop but again, there was the black screen and cursor.

Following advice I'd read, I booted into safe mode successfully. Then, ran malware bytes which didn't fix it, tried updating my graphics drivers but they are already up to date says Windows, disabled all services and programs & reatarted which did not help either.

But now, I am not even getting internet in Safe Mode with Networking now, after disabling the services I believe. I've tried renabling them all and restarting to no effect.

System restore does not work as well, for wjen I try to use it I get an error saying: system restore does not appearing to be functioning properly on this system.

A volume shadow copy service encountered an unexpected error. Checl the application log for more information. (0x80042302)"

So right now I have no idea what to do, any help woild be appeciated please

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Black screen and no internet
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Black screen and no internet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
If you have Norton or Kapersky
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 6, 2013 11:49 AM PDT

They know why system restore does not work.

My question to those companies is why not alert the user/owner you did this?
Bob

Collapse -
Help please
by Ellagonavalon / October 6, 2013 7:22 PM PDT

No, I only use AVG and Windows defender.

Collapse -
Then you are going to have to try
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 6, 2013 7:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Help please

You may want to try Ubuntu in it's Live Mode (boot off the CD/DVD but not install) to see if there is any other issue but as presented I can't find make and model so I can't check for prior issues such as we see in the HP dv6000's.
Bob

Collapse -
I don't have ubuntu
by Ellagonavalon / October 6, 2013 8:44 PM PDT

My laptop is a Lenovo Z570 with Windows 7 installed if that is any help :S

Collapse -
But you can download it ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 6, 2013 8:48 PM PDT
In reply to: I don't have ubuntu

and burn it to CD/DVD. That's free.

Kees

Collapse -
It's a tool many techs use. Free too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 6, 2013 9:38 PM PDT
In reply to: I don't have ubuntu

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!