Desktops forum

General discussion

Black screen after XP logo

by TheWebWorks / November 9, 2005 7:23 PM PST

Just went to turn my system on this morning, and it will not boot! It has been running great, and I have added no new software or hardware for awhile. When I turn on the computer, the XP logo splashes up, then I get a message about Windows not starting correctly. However, I am not able to use my keyboard (USB) at all to select an option. On the front of my computer (Dell Dimension 2400), there is a green light that keeps flashing to the right of the power button. Any suggestions on what I could try? Thanks! L.T.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Black screen after XP logo
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Black screen after XP logo
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A couple of things..
by jackintucson / November 10, 2005 3:43 AM PST

Bring it up in safe mode and run your anti-everything apps. You do run them don't you? If that should fail to fix your problem, pull out the CD that came with the system and do a repair. Let us know.

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
can't even get to safe mode
by TheWebWorks / November 10, 2005 4:21 AM PST
In reply to: A couple of things..

Jack, thanks for the suggestion. I wish I could get to safe mode! I get the screen that asks me if I want to restart in safe mode, but I have no keyboard or mouse function which would enable me to get there. I now have a ps2 mouse hooked up instead of my USB one, and it still does not help.

When I get the message about Windows having an error and it gives me the options of how I want to start it up, the countdown at the bottom expires and it tries to start normally. Then, the screen goes black. The computer power does stay on, but the green light next to the power flashes.

Do I need a new hard drive? This computer is only about a year old. I really, really need those documents back. Here's yet another lesson of why I should have backed everything up last week when I thought about it!!!

Thanks for taking time to offer a suggestion. I'd love to read any other ideas. I'm open to try them!

Collapse -
hard drive?
by jackintucson / November 10, 2005 6:45 AM PST

I don't think the hard drive is the problem...yet. The fact that you get the Windows "welcome" screen tells me it's working...at least a little. I guess the warranty is out of the question? You didn't say whether or not you had the "restore" CDs. That would be my next suggestion. You could also take that HD and put it in another system just to make sure it's OK. Put it in the secondary IDE port tho, so it doesn't try to boot. You might take the cover off and dust it out real good. At least it'll be clean. Wink The key is going to be that restore CD that should have come with the machine, unless you built it. Let us know.

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
Problem Solved - Update
by TheWebWorks / November 13, 2005 11:29 PM PST
In reply to: hard drive?

I ended up calling the Dell tech. line to see if someone could help me there. I have had less than stellar tech. service from them over the years, but my call today was fantastic. I spoke with someone who actually spoke proper English, and he knew what he was doing. He walked me through about 4 steps which he said would reset my keyboard in the bios. That worked, and I am up and running again. I am so glad that I didn't have to spend hours and $$$ trying to solve this issue.

Thanks for the help and suggestions!

Collapse -
FOUR STEPS TO SOLVE PROBLEM
by Avgenackis / December 21, 2005 3:36 AM PST

What were the four (4) steps in solving the problem?

Thanks.

Collapse -
Solution
by icepop4who / November 11, 2005 7:08 AM PST

I have a few suggestions:

1. Remove any extra RAM you installed. If not, switch your ram to a different slot because the motherboard may have trouble reconize it. remember to discharge yourself on a metal surface before touching chips.

2. Get a recovery CD, and run it.

3. Press and hold F2 or F8 during powerup and enter the BIOS setup screen. look for the USB connections selection under Hardware (depend on your BIOS) and enable all USB ports. If your keyboard do not work, replace it with a PS/2 connector keyboard, or get an adapter.

4. Don't buy DELL again. I recommend eMachines for value-PCs.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?