General discussion

black screen after upgrade to win7

I recently upgrade my vista Os to win7. But the win7 hangs at screen logo. I tried booting to known good configuration I was able to get to the desktop after many attempt, then I end up with a black screen. I did a cold restart I ended up with a black screen at logo screen and when boot again with known good configuration I was able to get to desktop then black screen again.
Pls can anyone help.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: black screen after upgrade to win7
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: black screen after upgrade to win7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Sorry, not yet.

I have an Acer Aspire laptop that does that. Fix? We had to go back to Vista. Make and model matters.
Bob

- Collapse -
Do you have...

Do you have an external monitor hooked up to your pc? If so, unplug it even though it may not be on. This is what my problem was the first time. Or, you can just turn on that second monitor and it will show your desktop...

- Collapse -
no external monitor attached

I do not have external monitor attached. Could this be a driver or device issue.
I am using ibm T43, 1gb ram, and the graphic card is mobile radeon X300.
Pls can anyone advice

- Collapse -
I see drivers at link.
- Collapse -
didn't realise

my expectation was that win7 will have the driver which should install automatically install for me during the upgrade.
Pls what do you advice me to do. Does this mean that I will be stuck with vista?
Please advice

- Collapse -
Sorry but nothing has changed since early Windows.
- Collapse -
win7 Ultimate

Thanks for your help, I am using win7 Ultimate

- Collapse -
And there is 32 and 64 bit versions.

I supplied the starter link, and leave it to you to go down the right path. Driver hunts are something Windows owners are going to get good at unless they have it done at a shop.
Bob

- Collapse -
Here is a link ...

for legacy drivers for the Radeon X300 which will work with Windows 7 32 Bit
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Legacy/Pages/radeonaiw_vista32.aspx

Read the bold NOTE at the top of the page

here is the link for the legacy drivers for the Radeon X300 that will work with 64 bit Windows 7
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Legacy/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx

Again read the NOTE in bold text at the top of the page.

Once you have the proper legacy drivers they should install but if not here is a link to several installation routes to try:
http://de-drivers.blogspot.com/2012/02/ati-radeon-x300-windows-7-driver.html

You would probably be happier staying with Vista on that laptop.

- Collapse -
Thanks for that.

It's a shame I couldn't find out which version they were trying. There is that other motherboard chipset driver but in this case it may not be required.
Bob

CNET Forums