Windows 7 forum

General discussion

black screen after upgrade to win7

by seyiisq / September 1, 2012 10:17 PM PDT

I recently upgrade my vista Os to win7. But the win7 hangs at screen logo. I tried booting to known good configuration I was able to get to the desktop after many attempt, then I end up with a black screen. I did a cold restart I ended up with a black screen at logo screen and when boot again with known good configuration I was able to get to desktop then black screen again.
Pls can anyone help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: black screen after upgrade to win7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: black screen after upgrade to win7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry, not yet.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 1, 2012 11:44 PM PDT

I have an Acer Aspire laptop that does that. Fix? We had to go back to Vista. Make and model matters.
Bob

Collapse -
Do you have...
by tonyron227 / September 1, 2012 11:50 PM PDT

Do you have an external monitor hooked up to your pc? If so, unplug it even though it may not be on. This is what my problem was the first time. Or, you can just turn on that second monitor and it will show your desktop...

Collapse -
no external monitor attached
by seyiisq / September 2, 2012 2:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Do you have...

I do not have external monitor attached. Could this be a driver or device issue.
I am using ibm T43, 1gb ram, and the graphic card is mobile radeon X300.
Pls can anyone advice

Collapse -
I see drivers at link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 2, 2012 2:27 AM PDT
Collapse -
didn't realise
by seyiisq / September 5, 2012 7:16 AM PDT
In reply to: I see drivers at link.

my expectation was that win7 will have the driver which should install automatically install for me during the upgrade.
Pls what do you advice me to do. Does this mean that I will be stuck with vista?
Please advice

Collapse -
Sorry but nothing has changed since early Windows.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 5, 2012 7:43 AM PDT
In reply to: didn't realise
Collapse -
win7 Ultimate
by seyiisq / September 5, 2012 9:25 AM PDT

Thanks for your help, I am using win7 Ultimate

Collapse -
And there is 32 and 64 bit versions.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 5, 2012 9:33 AM PDT
In reply to: win7 Ultimate

I supplied the starter link, and leave it to you to go down the right path. Driver hunts are something Windows owners are going to get good at unless they have it done at a shop.
Bob

Collapse -
Here is a link ...
by Edward ODaniel / September 5, 2012 10:11 AM PDT
In reply to: win7 Ultimate

for legacy drivers for the Radeon X300 which will work with Windows 7 32 Bit
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Legacy/Pages/radeonaiw_vista32.aspx

Read the bold NOTE at the top of the page

here is the link for the legacy drivers for the Radeon X300 that will work with 64 bit Windows 7
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Legacy/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx

Again read the NOTE in bold text at the top of the page.

Once you have the proper legacy drivers they should install but if not here is a link to several installation routes to try:
http://de-drivers.blogspot.com/2012/02/ati-radeon-x300-windows-7-driver.html

You would probably be happier staying with Vista on that laptop.

Collapse -
Thanks for that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 5, 2012 10:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Here is a link ...

It's a shame I couldn't find out which version they were trying. There is that other motherboard chipset driver but in this case it may not be required.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?