Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Black Screen

by Doug Allen / May 1, 2004 9:14 AM PDT

I have a problem where i will be working away at my pc and for some reason the screen just goes black. The PC doesn?t reboot or crash and is still running, but the only way to fix the screen is by hitting the re-set button. On rebooting no error message comes up, the problem is especially bad when i try and play a game (Command and Conquer Generals) the pc will load the game and as soon as game is about to play, the screen will go black (also happens with other games) I have run several different memory tests and all show no problem. I have had a couple of error reports after crashes saying that i have bad memory sector and need to run the test, but its a no show. Does any one have any ideas, could it be a driver conflict, there is a D bracket with 4 diagnostic LEDs on the pc but I?m not sure how that works, Any help appreciated. The pc is operating on xp with 512 mb ram and an onboard G force 2 graphics card, could it be the onboard Graphics, all drivers are up to date

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Black Screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Black Screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Black Screen
by Merl Priester / May 1, 2004 6:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Black Screen

When this machine goes black, detach the monitor and connect a different monitor.
I have had several LCD screens with this behavior that I had to return for repairs.
It is a possiblility.

Collapse -
Re: Black Screen
by Rollo / May 1, 2004 8:49 PM PDT

It goes without saying really, you must get the latest graphics card drivers (v56.72) and make sure you're using the latest AGP patch for your motherboard, and ensure you're using the latest version of DirectX. I occasionally get the same thing happen with my nVidia FX5200, but the system comes back up after less than a second and Windows doesn't crash. The situation certainly improved after I installed DirectX v9.0b. I consider it is something to do with a timing and/or frequency mismatch that only occurs every so many cycles when a certain set of other factors occur simultaneously. No, I have found a fix, though as I said, it happens less now I'm using the latest drivers. My graphics card is an AGPx8, though the slot it's in is only AGPx4 capable, I think this a contributory factor in my case. Regards

Collapse -
Re:Black Screen (the hardware angle)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 1, 2004 11:39 PM PDT

While many will tackle the software drivers and such, when I see this, I may remove the case cover and ask if it gets better or same to sniff out a heat issue.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Black Screen
by Rollo / May 2, 2004 12:04 AM PDT

Have you run DXDIAG, it may give some clues. You say "the black screen" happens especially when running games, which sort of implies the game(s) may be selecting a graphics card display mode, or refresh rate for your monitor, that neither actually supports. Though when it happens and you're not running a game this doesn't apply, damn! Regards

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!