Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Black ! on top of yellow ? in Device Manager

Hi I hope someone can help.

On startup the "found new hardware wizard" pops up. In device manager there is a yellow? in front of "other devices" and under that a black! on top of yellow? in front of "network controller". When I right click "properties" the message is "This device is not configured correctly (Code 1)" Also this has co-incided with the disappearance of my "Wireless Network" icon from my task bar and from my network connections (which I had up until 1 week ago). Intel(R) ProWireless 3945ABG Network Connection. Is this problem related and why did the icon disappear? Where did it go? Where did the driver go (if that is the problem)?

The only thing I did at about the same time that this issue came up was to un-install "PC Connectivity Solution" and the "Nokia Connectivity Cable Driver" from Add or Remove Programs. Did this cause the problem. Also downloaded from Microsoft a "FixIt 50052" workaround file as I had problems with my wireless mouse not working properly.

When I tried to use "system restore", could not restore to any dates (and I tried a few dates). I have Avira as my antivirus programme, which I had installed 4 days before this problem.

Ok, so, from reading other posts, I guess I need to re-install the driver for the wireless network? Is this correct. Just want to make sure so that I do not stuff up my computer with more problems. Or could someone suggest something else that I could do. I am still scratching my head wondering what the heck happened.

I have a Toshiba Satellite A100 PSAA8A notebook. Intel Centrino. Is approx. 4 years old. OP is Windows XP Professional version 2002 SP3. Genuine Intel(R) CPU. T1300 @1.66GHz, 1.66GHz. 504mb of RAM.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Black ! on top of yellow ? in Device Manager
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Black ! on top of yellow ? in Device Manager
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tell a little more.

In reply to: Black ! on top of yellow ? in Device Manager

XP Pro is not what I found supplied with this model. Too many times I find someone that installed XP Pro and didn't develop an install plan. Let's read this link to learn that installing XP is not as simple as we like -> http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7587_102-0.html?threadID=271360#2699006

Yes, that's for some HP but the install plan is similar to same for almost all machines.

Over in our networking forum we have long posts about wifi card issues. I no longer repair such things. I disable the internal and slip in a replacement.

If the OS needs reinstalling we do that too.
Bob

Collapse -
tell a little more?

In reply to: Tell a little more.

Hi. I got the system info from right clicking "my properties" on "my computer". This is how I bought laptop. Have not installed anything. Only whatever comes through Windows Update. Is this what you meant. Do I have to look elsewhere for system info?

Collapse -
That's a good story.

In reply to: tell a little more?

It points to problems you inherited from the prior owner. Start fresh with a clean install of the OS and drivers from the recovery media. This clears up issues like this unless the hardware has failed.
Bob

Collapse -
I am telling the truth, I bought new from store, not lying

In reply to: That's a good story.

I do not feel confident in installing OS again with disc. Would not know how to anyway. I just thought the solution would be simple to "fix" in where my "wireless network" disappeared to. I had it for 4 years and then just last week I lost it. I will look into downloading driver from manufacturer, that might work.

Thank you.

Collapse -
At 4 years, we are doing something else.

In reply to: I am telling the truth, I bought new from store, not lying

When I get a failed wifi in a 4 year old laptop we'll give it "one good try" with drivers, system restore and if they'll pay, a wipe and fresh OS install. But at 4 years old most of the time I find the wifi card is dead. We no longer replace those but remove the card. Then we go get the usual under 10 DOLLAR WPNT511 PC-CARD and install that to send them on their way. I've seen folk spend months trying to solve your issue. As most of us don't want to re-load an OS and with the recurring issue with wifi cards on old laptops I no longer do much else than slip in the 10 buck solution and send them on their way.
Bob

Collapse -
taken note

In reply to: At 4 years, we are doing something else.

Ok. I have taken note of your suggestions. A cheap "card" sounds good to me if all else fails.

Thank you again.

Collapse -
Next time.

In reply to: Black ! on top of yellow ? in Device Manager

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.