General discussion

Black Friday casualties?

by Steven Haninger / November 24, 2011 7:18 PM PST
Angry customer uses pepper spray

Here's the quote I love the most

"It's a good move to try to get shoppers to spend sooner, before they
run out of money," says Burt Flickinger, III, president of retail
consultancy Strategic Resource Group.

Say what? Spending it sooner keeps you from running out sooner??? Sounds like this guy went to the same business school as some of our legislators. Happy
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Black Friday casualties?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Black Friday casualties?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
huh?
by James Denison / November 25, 2011 12:26 AM PST

I think he means since they will spend it anyway for the holiday, it's better for the stores which attract them first, before they've spent it all somewhere else.

The best black friday event I did was over a decade ago when I and my family waited outside a store and managed to snag 3 of the limited number of Microtek scanners at $10 each. One was for us, two were for gifts to extended family. I'll admit I was a bit attached to it for memory sake, but it ended up at Salvation Army this year, especially as I realized not only was it just sitting but that we'd never use it anymore. Max scan resolution was 300dpi as I recall. There were some other good deals, but that's the one I remembered most over the years.

It was about 8 years ago I quit doing it because it had become too popular. The deals became less so and the number of deal items per store more limited. For the first few years there weren't that many who would show up early enough in line, now they camp out starting the day before. Also they'd not yet had police stopping the increasing number of door crashers.

Door crashers are those who show up in the last hour or half hour before opening, stand nonchalantly off at the side like they are waiting for someone in line, but not interested in entering the store, but then suddenly rush the side of the line at the door, pushing through into the melee, creating dangerous situation for those who waited properly in line for hours before.

My oldest kids have done it a few times since then, (not this year) but even they admit it was never as much fun as that first time when we scored big.

Collapse -
Sounds like the excuse for speeding
by Diana Forum moderator / November 25, 2011 12:28 AM PST

He wanted to get home in a hurry before he ran out of gas. Devil

Diana

Collapse -
Front running Christmas
by James Denison / November 25, 2011 4:04 AM PST
Here's 22 reasons civilization seems to be losing.

Could front running Christmas shopping advertisements and decorations ahead of Thanksgiving have anything to do in helping people forget about all they have to be thankful for, instead of everything they are angry about?
Collapse -
my favorite quote of the day
by James Denison / November 25, 2011 4:26 AM PST
Collapse -
"that continues and will continue"
by James Denison / November 25, 2011 4:36 AM PST

at 2:55

Washed up news anchor promoted to Bureau Chief having to do cover on Thanksgiving weekend.

I had a good LOL time listening to it though.

Collapse -
It could also mean....
by Josh K / November 28, 2011 1:44 AM PST

....getting them to impulse buy before they fritter the money away on things like food and rent.

Collapse -
ROFL!
by James Denison / November 28, 2011 1:55 AM PST
In reply to: It could also mean....

I like that one.

Collapse -
Taking money from those who can least afford to part with it
by Steven Haninger / November 28, 2011 2:42 AM PST
In reply to: It could also mean....

I can't help but notice that these brawls only happen at certain stores and not the ones that cater to the better heeled. I can't say with authority but I wonder if these aren't also the same folks who line up at the lottery ticket windows. There was a time when I worked a church BINGO hall. We knew to make sure we fully staffed on the first night after the entitlement checks went out. The size of the crowd grew and they could be meaner and more demanding of us than usual. They were eager to spend their checks with the hope of taking away more than they came in with. I didn't care to see these folks do this to themselves but it was their money. If our operation didn't exist, they'd do the same somewhere else. Our church got out of the BINGO business a few years back which is probably a good thing. It was a lesson in the behavior of a unique culture. To those who'd gripe about always walking away poorer, I'd tell them that BINGO is not a good career choice.

Collapse -
I think it takes a certain mind set....
by Josh K / November 28, 2011 3:00 AM PST

.....to line up at midnight - or camp out for days, even missing Thanksgiving - in the first place. There's no "deal" that would get me to do that. And the "better heeled" don't really look for those kinds of blowout sales anyway.

Collapse -
or teens
by James Denison / November 28, 2011 6:03 AM PST

Who want to do something different, exciting, and aren't allowed unless Mom & Dad are along. A few years and the thrill of it wears off for them, or they are old enough to drive there themselves. I'm glad we did it with the older 2 a few times, it also gave us a chance to talk with them about human nature both good and bad and how nothing was so important to get into a fight over. I think it was an eye opening experience for them in mid teen years.

Collapse -
Did we see this one yet?
by James Denison / November 28, 2011 7:14 AM PST

Shop till you drop? Shop while others drop?

Target customers step over dying man to shop.

A Black Friday shopper who collapsed while shopping at a Target store in West Virginia went almost unnoticed as customers continued to hunt for bargain deals.

Walter Vance, the 61-year-old pharmacist, who reportedly suffered from a prior heart condition, later died in hospital, reports MSNBC.

Witnesses say some shoppers ignored and even walked over the man's body as they continued to shop, reports the New York Daily News.

Friends and co-workers saddened to learn of his death, expressed outrage over the way he was treated by shoppers.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.