Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Black Friday Absentee, I lust for freedom?

by acoxon1274 / November 24, 2006 5:06 AM PST

I have not fought the crowds and sale madness of Black Friday for the last 10 years. I most often find what I want on the web. Then I dig up all the info I can on the item before making the purchase. I usually end up at a membership store such as SAM?s or online store for the best price. I always enjoy a good yard sale even though my friends almost have to drag me.

There is always a good time to be had shopping with friends and family and getting that special deal always leaves you with a good feeling but with so many options available why fight the crowds and madness? Some friends of mine plan for Black Friday as if it were a battle in an unending war. They meet weeks in advance to plan the day, who shops where, and what to buy, and how many at what price. Once the day starts, they call in when they have made their purchases for the group and see that all other purchases have occurred as planned and then report on any other items they find on sale. If you fail to get the items you were assigned to buy you will be dubbed unreliable and left out of the group or your role will be demoted/re-assigned to getting coffee and manning the phone for the call in center or taking care of the kids while others do the real shopping. They even have spies, store clerks who tell them where the items will be in the store and may even hold an item back till it can be picked up. It?s like an episode of ?Disparate Housewives? only much more real. Everybody has their role to play and when it?s over they have a de-briefing. They then plan for follow up purchases for missed items and start setting up for the after Xmas sales.

The only reason I have not been inducted is I don?t live in the area anymore. I still get calls for technical last minute advice. In years past, this has lead to me assembling a bicycle and putting together a ping pong table on Xmas eve. I know it?s the season but it seems more like freedom lost than fun times for all. I raise my glass and toast the brave that go forth. I like my new role as a Black Friday absentee who lusts for freedom from the crowds and sale madness.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Black Friday Absentee, I lust for freedom?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Black Friday Absentee, I lust for freedom?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Entrepreneur
by Angeline Booher / November 25, 2006 3:20 AM PST

There is a fellow here who will put together children's swing sets, furniture, bicycles, etc,

I had him do a put-together computer desk for me several years ago. He arrived with a toolbox containing every screw, nut, bolt, washer, fastener, etc. one could imagine. Just in case any were missing.

I wish that service had been available when our children were small. Putting stuff together for Santa wasn't exactly predictable of fun. Happy

I haven't been to a mall in several years. Internet shopping is my way!

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Mother wasn't very good at putting something together
by Diana Forum moderator / November 25, 2006 6:40 AM PST
In reply to: Entrepreneur

From the time I was about 9 or 10, she just wrapped the box and let me put it together. Much easier.

I was the one that would take things apart to see how they worked and I had better remember how to put them back together because we couldn't afford to just get another one.

Diana

Collapse -
When "pocket" transistor radios first came out....
by Angeline Booher / November 25, 2006 7:29 AM PST

.... they were quite expensive. So I bought one for my husband at a pawn shop for Christmas.

One day when my toddler daughter was unusually quiet, I found her sitting on the bed, All of those parts surrounded her, and the little (larger than they were later) transistors were lined up like soldiers.

No way to put 'em back together, not even for a toddler. Happy

(I like your Mom's style !) Happy

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
(NT) Love it! Sounds like a Kodak moment. :-)
by Steven Haninger / November 25, 2006 7:45 AM PST
Collapse -
the person I want to know
by WOODS-HICK / November 25, 2006 8:17 AM PST
In reply to: Entrepreneur

is anyone that can put back an item into the original box for a return. the ultimate entrepreneur could put back one of those desks that comes in a 2" box and weighs 80lbs. I know that is a reason I keep what I assemble unless any disfigurement is visible without strategic placement of desktop accessories.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?