Samsung forum

Alert

Black Circles on Samsung 52in LCD TV

TV only 2 years old. No physical damage was done to it. One day we turned it on and noticed large black circles down the left and right of the screen. We also found a series of lines going thru the middle of the screen. I will post pictures. We have an extended warranty but they refuse to honor because they claim we did something to it ourselves. I realize this is a rare anomaly but Samsung needs to step up to the plate. We know there was no damage done to it physically. We will never buy a Samsung again or trust Brandsmart to honor their extended warranties.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Black Circles on Samsung 52in LCD TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Black Circles on Samsung 52in LCD TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Here are the pictures!

In reply to: Here are the pictures!

Cyndi423,

Collapse -
Found another link that may explain the anomaly

In reply to: Here are the pictures!

Hi HDTech, the link you gave me did not provide an explanation. However I did find this on another site. Can you confirm this may be the cause of the Black Circle Issue? If so, wouldn't this be covered under an extended warranty? Thank you for any help you can provide. Wink

http://www.fixya.com/support/t358706-black_circles_both_sides_ov_tv

black circles on both sides ov tv

Solutions (1) This fault is referred to as an East-West pin-cushion fault. Depending on the make and model, it can mean that some capacitor(s) have failed (dried-out) or a single medium power transistor or both in the pin-cushion correction circuit have failed. In any event it isn't a very big problem to fix. A competent technician nearby ought to sort it out quickly. Also, if you area tech then please post additional information on the make and model and you'll get more technical data. Good luck.

Collapse -
Found another link that may explain the anomaly

In reply to: Found another link that may explain the anomaly

Cyndi423 -

Collapse -
So 2 years is really all we can expect from a Samsung LCD TV

Basically you said that as long as it made 2 years, you "stepped up to the plate" and delivered? That's alot of money for people to shell out every 2 years. I have reviewed Consumer Affairs, BBB, Tech Sites and the one sad fact I can come up with is that your TV's last about 2 years then have a myriad of issues. Two of which I have Sad I did bring it up to the extended warranty people and they defered to Samsung. In fact, the repair man didn't even get close to the TV, he took one step in the home looked across 2 rooms at the TV and proclaimed it was finger damage. Of course we knew it wasn't. The whole reason I came here was for some technical assistance so I could make my case to the Ext Warranty people but sadly the only people who will acknowledge these issues are the ones you have previously replied to with "I have no idea what causes that" in other threads which have since been deleted and/or closed. I can certainly understand the frustration your customers are displaying all over the place. Please search for Samsung TV's on the Consumer Affairs site. Here are just a few: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2011/08/samsung-tvs-tops-in-sales-and-complaints.html and http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2010/07/samsung_tv.html I have been a long and loyal customer who enjoyed your products and now I am extremely upset by the way Samsung and Brandsmart have ignored customer service and Quality (after reading hundreds of complaints). I reached out to you, to the support thread you gave me, to the facebook site you gave me and all I get in return is "We don't know what could possible cause that". There are 4 things that I asked you to rule out for me so I can get the warranty people to take us seriously:

1) This fault is referred to as an East-West pin-cushion fault. It can mean that some capacitor(s) have failed (dried-out) or a single medium power transistor or both in the pin-cushion correction circuit have failed.

2) The frame of the TV is warped or worn which will cause the circle like spots around the edges.

3) Sounds like the plastic piece in front of the display is warped and pressing into the panel.

4) Bad TAB bonds to the LCD panel itself.(horizontal lines in middle of TV)itself.

Collapse -
Pin cushion is a well known TV repair area but

And this is a big one. It was something of a CRT or projection system issue. This is an LCD and not the same thing. Same visual effect but to claim it's the east west is something of a stretch.

Good luck with your warranty issue. Why didn't they perform the work?
Bob

Collapse -
Sadly no, they refuse to even open the TV and look.

In reply to: Black Circles on Samsung 52in LCD TV

They didn't perform the work because they don't really work to assist customers, basically they are like the insurance department who tries to find a way NOT to cover your claim. They never got close to the TV, they just blamed it on finger damage. That is the entire reason I reached out on this site, to get a technical arguement for them to return without costing me $69. It's a scam, they proclaim that the customer did the damage and if you want a 2nd opinion they will charge you $69 to tell you the same thing. I appreciate that you ruled out the East-West idea... here are 3 more that tech sites and customers have identified. In the case of the Bad Tab Bonds, users actually reported that replacing them resolved the horizontal line issues and that a warped front can cause the Black Circles (I believe they said crystal leaks or something). My head is spinning right now from all the things I have read and honestly I am heartbroken. I can't afford to replace an expensive TV like this. The problem is getting worse. I would appreciate any help you can provide. I am convinced that Samsung and Brandsmart are not going to be helpful at this point.

2) The frame of the TV is warped or worn which will cause the circle like spots around the edges.

3) Sounds like the plastic piece in front of the display is warped and pressing into the panel.

4) Bad TAB bonds to the LCD panel itself.(horizontal lines in middle of TV).itself.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!