Computer Help forum

Question

Bizarre rapid tabbing problem without touching keyboard

by chaoticthings / May 27, 2015 10:20 AM PDT

I am not even sure where to post this because it is such a bizarre problem, and since I am not sure it is a hardware problem, I am posting it here since I am running Windows 8.1.

For two days now my computer has been going haywire. I ran Windows Defender and Spybot - no serious issues, no viruses. I rebooted, did a hard boot. Still the same issue. The only way I can describe this issue is by saying it's like someone is constantly and rapidly clicking Tab on my keyboard - without me touching anything. My cursor will not stay in one place. This starts and stops throughout the day, usually every hour or two for maybe 30 minutes at a time. So it does stop eventually but not for long. I am unable to use my computer at all when it is happening because it keeps tabbing from where I need my cursor to be, so I can't type anything. I can't install anything. I can't open anything. It just keeps tabbing all over the screen and doesn't stop. I've tried hitting numerous keys like Shift, Ctrl, etc. but nothing stops it from moving.

The day this started, Bell (telecomm company here in Canada) came and installed a Fibe box and a wireless access point/receiver for my internet and cable (looks like this: http://www.arrisi.com/products/_images/hd/vap2500.jpg), which are on my computer desk. They said the wireless receiver needs to be two feet or more away from the Fibe box at all times, and it has been. I still have no idea if this was actually caused by either Bell device, but it was a weird coincidence it happened the same day of the installation.

Because I have a wireless keyboard, I thought maybe the receiver was interfering with the keyboard wireless signal. So I moved both boxes further away. Same issue. I then disconnected the wireless keyboard and used a wired one - same issue. I even popped the tab keys off the wireless keyboard to ensure nothing was making it stick. My mouse is wireless and runs on batteries. I can't see it being a mouse issue but perhaps someone can enlighten me.

This is rendering my PC unusable and I am in the process of job hunting right now, so I need to get this solved ASAP. I'd be grateful for any insight or suggestions people may have. Please let me know if you need any further details.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bizarre rapid tabbing problem without touching keyboard
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bizarre rapid tabbing problem without touching keyboard
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Try resetting your browser.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2015 10:24 AM PDT

Or using another browser.

Collapse -
Resetting browser
by chaoticthings / May 27, 2015 10:37 AM PDT

Thanks for the response. I have tried switching browsers and unfortunately it is happening in all of them. The issue isn't isolated to one browser. Sad

Collapse -
That's scary
by itsdigger / May 27, 2015 10:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Resetting browser

I wonder if someone isn't remotely accessing the computer and messing with you.
Does it happen using something else like a word doc. ? Is it only when you're on the internet ?

I'm no Tech so excuse me if these questions are out of line
Digger

Collapse -
I did do a virus scan
by chaoticthings / May 27, 2015 10:50 AM PDT
In reply to: That's scary

It's not doing any harm; it's just annoying and renders the computer unusable. I ran scans and nothing came up in terms of viruses, spyware, etc. At first I did think it was some sort of virus but now it seems more like signal interference of some kind. It doesn't seem to be something malicious. It happens no matter what is on the screen, yes, internet-related or not (including a Word doc). It just keeps tabbing all over the screen no matter what I have open.

Collapse -
I mean
by itsdigger / May 27, 2015 11:01 AM PDT
In reply to: I did do a virus scan

does it happen with the internet disconnected too ?

Digger

Collapse -
Time to scan with Grif.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2015 10:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Resetting browser
Collapse -
Does it do it in Safe Mode with Networking?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2015 10:56 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?