Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Alert

BITDEFENDER - Crippled my PC in Rescue Mode

by shotcaller6c / April 18, 2014 2:36 PM PDT

BITDEFENDER rescue mode has hijacked my PC for 3 weeks. My message to BITDEFENDER after numerous tries to correct what their product has done to my PC WENT LIKE THIS: This whole deal has cost me money (Lack of data productivity at 250 a day) and inconvenience; Now I have paid Dell $129; they want to install a new motherboard. I have also been told that I'm about to loose all my data; incur a additional cost for my MS . This is not right and I plan on placing this experience on YOUTUBE also showing your program taking over unless you can come up with a better resolution or Comp me for my troubles. Please reply ASAP.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BITDEFENDER - Crippled my PC in Rescue Mode
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BITDEFENDER - Crippled my PC in Rescue Mode
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sadly true. And why we backup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 19, 2014 1:42 AM PDT

I'm guessing here this is your first PC disaster. That's where most folk learn about backup.

Also, there are new folk just getting into PCs that are amazed how fragile the system is. That is, there is no company selling a Windows PC that assures us that we can't blow it up with apps, malware or such.

-> To recover your PC, save all your files and such TWICE or more then restore it to the factory install, restore your apps, then your files and if there is no hardware issue it will work again.
Bob

Collapse -
Great Advice
by shotcaller6c / April 19, 2014 1:56 AM PDT

That was a nice pull up, but I have a question... BITDEFENDER sent me a solution Cry :
Hello Michael,

Thank you for allowing us to connect again remotely to your PC.

Please follow carefully all the step below.

1) Restart the computer stuck in Rescue Mode and press the [F12] key to enter BIOS.

2) In BIOS, go to Boot tab in upper menu and press again the [F9] key to load the default settings.

3) Then, while still in BIOS, on the Boot tab, take a look at the entry next to 1st Boot device. If it does not say 'Windows Boot Manager' and it is still '[UEFI] Bitdefender Rescue Mode', replace the entry with this path: \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi
(This is where the problem lies)
Press the [F10] key to save the modification and exit.

IMPORTANT: if you do not know how to do that, please contact DELL support in order to provide you with a method to change the path of the 1st Boot device in BIOS with \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi. You can forward them this message so that they know what you are trying to do.

4) After the PC restarts, you should be able to enter Windows.

5) After entering Windows, locate this file on your Desktop: fix-uefi-bcd

6) Right click on the file "fix-uefi-bcd" and from the menu select "Run as Administrator". A black window with a list of commands appears. Wait a few minutes to run the script and follow the instructions written in the black command prompt window.

DELL could not help; I understand what needs to hap[pen, but can't insrt (\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi) in the BOOT sevction. Is there a way to do this sequence? Thanks!

Collapse -
Sorry
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 19, 2014 2:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Great Advice

But you claim you know what needs to happen so again, this appears to be where the Windows PC is showing its age. That is, why would consumers need to know EFI anything?

If Dell and Bitdefender can't fix it, I'd have to see the machine to diagnose it. In some cases I'll slip in a new blank HDD to do a restore to the factory condition as a test to see if the machine is fine. That would determine my next move.

-> I hope you see where PCs are not consumer friendly at times. This is one of those times.
Bob

Collapse -
solution2bitdefender
by rumc2280 / July 31, 2014 2:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry

I had the same problem with bitdefender rescue. I tried and could not insert \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi. I did however find out how to fix the problem. I first had to make a usb flash drive boot drive. I used my laptop with windows 8.1. (the computer with the bitdefender rescue mode problems is my all in one desktop windows 8). The laptop windows recovery usb flash drive requested 16 GB of data. I unchecked the box at the bottom of the window and it did a basic boot drive with about 500 MB. Plug the usb flash drive into the bitdefender rescue stuck computer. Now start the computer (the one stuck on bitdefender rescue) at the DELL emblem I pressed F12. Next use the arrow key to highlight other options and press enter. Now use arrow keys and highlight BOOT, scroll down to one of the BOOT DEVICES that says UEFI:BITDEFENDER R and press enter. Highlight USB FLASH DRIVE and press enter. Scroll to Bitdefender press enter and highlight DISABLED and press enter. Now I pressed F10 to save and exit. Next I followed the instructions from http://www.fixedbyvonnie.com/2013/12/how-to-repair-the-efi-bootloader-in-windows-8/#.U9r6INF8PIU. I hope this helps.

Collapse -
Neat info !
by itsdigger / July 31, 2014 3:09 PM PDT
In reply to: solution2bitdefender

Good tutorial too ,

Digger

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.