The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Bit torrent Lost / Studio 60

by rollingp / November 20, 2006 1:57 AM PST

A friend of mine Wink is a huge lost fan and could not wait for season 3 to air here in the UK and so has downloaded season 3 using bit torrent. He also torrented Studio 60 (big Aaron Sorkin fan aka West Wing) as this will not be available to the UK until 2007.

Is my friend stupid for doing this. Its illegal right!! Will he be getting a knock on his door from the police saying "your nicked" ?

Advice greatly welcomed.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bit torrent Lost / Studio 60
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bit torrent Lost / Studio 60
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Advice
by kellenjb / November 20, 2006 2:52 AM PST

I think people are scared to answer. Yes it is illegal. No one can say if he will get a knock on his door or not. It would be like saying "If I speed will I get pulled over?" Well you might not, but then again you might. Except in his case you have no way to look around your shoulder to see if there are any police around.

I think your own ethics will answer the question. Is it OK to do something that is illegal if you don't think you will get caught?

Collapse -
I don't know either, but . . .
by beelissa / November 20, 2006 7:21 AM PST

. . . it just seems to me that if they're going to go after anyone, they should first go after people who are mass-producing and selling DVDs with the shows on them, and second after people in the US who are downloading them illegally, and then go after those in other countries. After all, your friend has what I would think is a legitimate beef, not being able to watch it where he lives.

Though, you know, NBC has Studio 60 streaming on their site(for free, with commercials). The entire episode is available for the week after it airs. I've watched most of the season so far that way -- but I have no way to know if it's available in the UK. It's broken down into 5 or 6 parts and there's a commercial at the beginning of each part. It seems to take less time to watch that way than even fast-forwarding thru the commercials on the DVR, though that might be my imagination.

Collapse -
your Friends lucky
by cookingglen / November 20, 2006 7:40 AM PST

Your friend is lucky i cant find anything past episode 6! why cant channel 4 screen now? they screened series 2 straight (or sooner) after the first series due to popular demand i would buy it if i could but I'm not aloud till after it's shown that's not fair! especially in this technical age surely there is no reason not to release globally over the Internet say?

Collapse -
Works both ways..
by Wilf_Brim / November 20, 2006 10:26 AM PST

Don't feel too bad about it. There are lots of my friends (not me, of course) who BT episodes of the new Dr. Who. Not only are we a year or more behind, but the episodes we get on SciFi are cut to accommodate commercials.

One could always take the tack that since the content industry assumes that we are all criminals then we shouldn't feel too bad about acting like one, now and again.

Collapse -
By now, you know it's illegal....
by ktreb / November 20, 2006 10:58 AM PST

But here's my take on it:

If you have anything to lose, such as money, a home, a steady stream of income, then maybe you shouldn't do it.

If the RIAA goes after you, you can either pay to settle out of court (which seems to be what most people do) or pay a lawyer loads of money to fight it in court. Of course, that's only IF they go after you. Chances are, they won't. But you never know when your number will come up.

Collapse -
Outside US?
by Martin1st / November 20, 2006 5:20 PM PST

Ok, how is the deal with RIAA and outside US? I didn't think they could sue anyone outside US.
Where I live the laws about digital copyright have been so much back and forth that it's bizare. At one point the suggested law would be that you couldn't evan copy from a CD to an MP3 player but you could make as many copies as the CD itself as long as the data didn't change format.
So you see how it is....
The police have stated that they won't be going after anyone in the near future due to the current state of the laws.

Collapse -
Warner Bros email
by rollingp / November 20, 2006 3:20 PM PST

So I can bit-torrent Studio 60 ?????

Sent: 21 November 2006 00:58
Subject: RE: Legal

Hello,

We have an arrangement with Bit-torrent and it is legal for you to download our properties on their website.

Thank you,
Warner Bros. Online Customer Service

Collapse -
Warner Bros email
by mystifedical / November 20, 2006 5:05 PM PST
In reply to: Warner Bros email
Collapse -
excellent
by cookingglen / November 21, 2006 9:29 AM PST
In reply to: Warner Bros email

wow so is lost a warner bros creation?

Collapse -
Free LOST on network website
by nooccar / November 29, 2006 9:35 AM PST

If we can go and watch LOST on the network website for FREE as soon as it airs on television, then I don't see any reason why one couldn't download the vid. What's the difference if I watch on my laptop online at home or on the subway to work on my iPod?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.