Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

BIT*.TMP files

Every time I go online 6 files(BIT6.TMP/ BIT1.TMP/ BIT190.TMP/ BIT 307.TMP/ BITD.TMP and BIT3.TMP) of exactly 10.582 kb are created in my Temp folder and updated every couple of minutes. Anybody with bright ideas about these files? Maybe some internet optimizer programm I installed?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BIT*.TMP files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BIT*.TMP files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Or Automatic Updates downloading an update?

In reply to: BIT*.TMP files

Hint.

Collapse -
not the case

In reply to: Or Automatic Updates downloading an update?

I always disconnect automatic updates(antispyware, antivirus, windows, firewalls etc). Although it's possible that some software is updating withpout knowing it, it's rather improbable.

Collapse -
Share...

In reply to: not the case

Share the output of this command:

TASKLIST /SVC

Bob

Collapse -
sorry

In reply to: Share...

sorry, don't understand what you're talking about. There seems no "SVC" command on my pc. How do I do this?
Thanks for the trouble I'm causing, but these bit.tmp files are driving me mad.

Collapse -
It's a command line command.

In reply to: sorry

Here's more.

Press start, run, type in CMD and press enter.

Now type in the command as supplied to reveal what's up and share it here. To copy from that box, just highlight what the output is and press enter. It's now in the clipboard for you to paste in your reply.

Bob

Collapse -
tasklist

In reply to: It's a command line command.

Thanks, Bob, for your infinite patience.

C:\Documents and Settings\Nosotros todos>tasklist/svc

Nombre de imagen PID Servicios
========================= ====== =============================================
System Idle Process 0 N/D
System 4 N/D
smss.exe 412 N/D
csrss.exe 468 N/D
winlogon.exe 492 N/D
services.exe 536 Eventlog, PlugPlay
lsass.exe 548 PolicyAgent, ProtectedStorage, SamSs
svchost.exe 704 DcomLaunch, TermService
svchost.exe 768 RpcSs
svchost.exe 804 AudioSrv, BITS, Browser, CryptSvc, Dhcp,
dmserver, ERSvc, EventSystem,
FastUserSwitchingCompatibility, helpsvc,
lanmanserver, lanmanworkstation, Netman,
Nla, RasMan, Schedule, seclogon, SENS,
SharedAccess, ShellHWDetection, srservice,
TapiSrv, Themes, TrkWks, W32Time, winmgmt,
wscsvc, wuauserv, WZCSVC
svchost.exe 852 Dnscache
svchost.exe 876 LmHosts, RemoteRegistry, SSDPSRV, WebClient
spoolsv.exe 1040 Spooler
NPROTECT.EXE 1180 NProtectService
Pavsrv51.exe 1216 PAVSRV
Avengine.exe 1236 N/D
NOPDB.EXE 1316 Speed Disk service
svchost.exe 1332 stisvc
wdfmgr.exe 1364 UMWdf
Fast.exe 1444 InteractiveLogon
alg.exe 1920 ALG
wscntfy.exe 1960 N/D
explorer.exe 2008 N/D
TaskSwitch.exe 336 N/D
Fast.exe 428 N/D
Fast.exe 440 N/D
realsched.exe 444 N/D
ctfmon.exe 472 N/D
msmsgs.exe 660 N/D
sb32mon.exe 2096 N/D
eMule.exe 2180 N/D
StayAlive.exe 2192 N/D
firefox.exe 2552 N/D
wmiprvse.exe 2900 N/D
taskmgr.exe 2948 N/D
cmd.exe 2968 N/D
tasklist.exe 2984 N/D

Collapse -
See "BITS"?

In reply to: tasklist

There's your background downloader. It's part of the Microsoft automatic updater.

It's not turned off according to what's running.

Bob

Collapse -
Microsoft automatic updater turned off

In reply to: See "BITS"?

I've got my microsoft automatic updater turned off, so how is it possible that it's working, this "background downloader"? When I turn it off it should be off. How do I turn it off? How do I turn this svchost.ex PID 804 off without affecting other processes?

Andr

Collapse -
It's "part of", not is, the whole enchilada.

In reply to: Microsoft automatic updater turned off

Collapse -
tricky

In reply to: It's "part of", not is, the whole enchilada.

OK Bob,

I'll try your suggestion tomorrow.

Thanks,
Andr

Collapse -
windows media player

Bob,

after running "services.msc" I stopped all services that got something to do with "automatic updates", without any success.
After consulting sveral pages on "10.582 kb" files, programmes as Windows Media Player(installed) and Roxio(not installed) and the word "music" are mentioned. I disabled all references about the internet in the toolbox of WMP 10. Again without any possitive results. But I think I've got to find the solution there.

thanks,

Andr

Collapse -
page with bit*.tmp files

I've found a page (http://marizoka-pimentel. vilabol.uol.com.br/ Log-parte1.html) where a similar file of exactly the same size is named. Maybe you can draw conclutions from this page. Here's a summary:
Sat Jun 25 18:47:20 2005 => ********************************************************** Sat Jun 25 18:47:20 2005 => MicroWorld AntiVirus & Spyware Toolkit Utility. Sat Jun 25 18:47:20 2005 => Copyright

Collapse -
This maybe related

Collapse -
Spyware

In reply to: This maybe related

Peter,

I've tried all kind of updated spyware programmes(cwshredder, adaware, spybot, xoftspy), but they didn't solve my problem.

Thanks,
Andr

Collapse -
Did you read ALL of the post?

In reply to: Spyware

Also try Microsoft's AntiSpyware - it has picked up what others haven't - and always look at the settings to make sure you do a proper scan.
Also go to systems internals - they have a program which tracks what is actually being up/down loaded by your computer - its called TCPview - its very basic but tells you what programs are doing what over your connection.
Peter

Collapse -
Did it all

In reply to: Did you read ALL of the post?

After reading ALL information on the page you suggested, running hijackthis and all the other software mentioned on the page and deleting suspicious processes things haven't changed. The f.... BIT.TMP are still there.
I'm getting nervous, especially because you wisely suggested that my problems with my internet speed could be related to this f.... BIT.TMP files.

Andr

Collapse -
Bit.TMP Overlload in Temporary File...Virus or Other Problem

In reply to: Did it all

My temporary file keeps generating massive amounts of Bit.TMP files (last was 180MB). How do I stop this. I did multiple virus scan and came up with nothing. I also did a RUN Net Stop Bits. My machine is getting hit hard and fast with Bit.Tmp files for no apparent reason. And they are not coming from the Internet. They are coming directly from my computer about 20MB's every ten minutes. This has gotta stop. I need suggestions before my system has a Heart Attack. Thanks.

Collapse -
just curious

are you using a P2P program or do you convert a lot of video files?

the reason i ask:
bit=bitrate
bit=bittorrent

Collapse -
P2P

In reply to: just curious

I don't convert any video files.
I use emule 1.1d, but these f..... BIT.TMP files appear even when I'm not using it. These files appear at the moment the internet connection is established.
I've tried all kind of spyware detection software(adaware, spybot, xoftspy, CWShredder, hijacker)
, but they don't find anything suspicious.

Collapse -
With that, I leave it to you.

In reply to: P2P

It's a problem I learned long ago that I can't help P2P users. I don't want to sound offensive, but trying to cure P2P symptoms while the user is using P2P is a waste of time.

This is not an insult. It's just that it's not a good investment of my time.

Bob

Collapse -
not correct

In reply to: With that, I leave it to you.

THIS CANNOT BE, BY ANY MEANS, NO WAY, A PROBLEM RELATED TO P2P, BECAUSE I HAD THIS PROBLEM LONG BEFORE MY SON INSTALLED THIS PROGRAME. MY PROBLEMS BEGAN LONG BEFOR THAT.
I KNOW THAT SOME PEOPLE DON'T APPROVE THIS PRACTICE, BUT BLAME THEM FOR ALL COMPUTER PROBLEMS IS TAKING THINGS TOO FAR.

Collapse -
My choice here.

In reply to: not correct

I noted why. To reiterate, I've found P2P users to be not a good investment of time fixing issues like this. When they figure it out and get off the P2P, sometimes we find a fix. Sometimes we get to reload the OS since its damaged goods.

It also appears your keyboard broke too.

Bob

Collapse -
My keyboard broke?

In reply to: My choice here.

it works fine, thanks.
All the same many thanks for your wasted precious time!

If P2P were the problem, the number of hits on google would be enormous, because most peolple I know use some kind of P2P.

Collapse -
You're welcome.

In reply to: My keyboard broke?

Glad to see your keyboard is working proper again.

The P2P issue is my choice. Best of luck finding it.

Bob

Collapse -
What an id

In reply to: You're welcome.

What's your problem with P2P?
Legal? Ethical? Technical? I'm getting intrigued.
You're american, aren't you?

Only hope you don't drink alcohol, neither smoke or take drugs and do a lot of healthy exercises. Otherwise, one day a doctor might say that it isn't worth the trouble trying to help you.

Saludos,

Andr

Collapse -
I have no problem with it.

In reply to: What an id

It does no good to be fixing a machine when some other software has other ideas.

-> Have you tried a HIJACKTHIS Forum?

Bob

Collapse -
Now we're getting somewhere

In reply to: I have no problem with it.

THANK YOU(didn't break down again)

I'll try your idea and look for a hijackthis forum.
Yesterday I checked my freind's pc and there's no HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\bits
entry in register(the guy has the same P2P software.

Collapse -
You should have 'got somewhere' back at...

In reply to: Now we're getting somewhere

Collapse -
That was the solution

In reply to: You should have 'got somewhere' back at...

This is what I did and it worked perfectly.

Again many thanks very your patience, especially Bob's.
I'm no computer-freak so what is obvious for you guys is like reading Sanskrit to me.

Again thank you very much and I'm very sorry that you wasted such time.

Estimados Saludos,
Andr

Collapse -
Recap. P2P user.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!