Desktops forum

General discussion

Bioshocked

by Cooperm4n / September 24, 2007 2:29 AM PDT

Some sage thoughts, please.

I have been looking at upgrading my PC. It runs Bioshock OK but jerks slightly, say, when doors open or characters appear on screen for duelling.

I upgraded to 2GB RAM which was a marked improvement (wish I'd plumped for 1GB sticks instead of 4x512) and bought a second GPU for SLi...which wasn't a marked improvement.

The PC is only a year old and I am dismayed at how fast the pace has moved on...939 board, 3200 DDR2...it will only be 'minimum requirement' for the upcoming Crysis.

Anyway...my research tells me that an AMD 64 FX 57 is a pretty good chip (but is not dual core) and the ASUS site says that my MOBO is compatible. However FX 57 chips are as rare as hens teeth...and very expensive when tracked down.

The MOBO is also AMD X2 (dual core) compatible but my research tells me these chips run no better that 2.2GHz and are more suited to multi-tasking, not gaming.

Is installing a new chip as straight forward as it seems?

Am I getting my thoughts on this all wrong?

Would even more RAM speed things up?

Should I consider clocking (I don't do this)?

Is it time to buy that XBox 360 :-/

Cooperm4n

XP home
AMD Athlon 64 (939) 3700 San Diego (2.2GHz equivalent) 1MB cache
ASUS A8N-SLi SE (SLi enabled) Dual DDR
2GB Corsair DDR400 3200
160GB Western Bell SATA HDD
nVidia 7600GS 256mb PCIe
nVidia 7600GS 256mb PCIe
500W PCU
120mm fan

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bioshocked
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bioshocked
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have you tweaked it yet?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 24, 2007 2:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Bioshocked

After reading and using much of what is at http://www.tweakguides.com/Bioshock_1.html I played it ok with a C2D with an older AGP 6800 Nvidia 256MB card. It has 2GB RAM but I don't think 2 or 4 sticks is the issue here. The biggest boost came when I used the hint about Vsync and the triple buffer settings.

Bob

Collapse -
Tweaks
by Cooperm4n / September 24, 2007 3:42 AM PDT

Looks fascinating RP

I have some reading to do...thanks

Cooperm4n

Collapse -
bioshock needs graphics muscle
by ramarc / September 24, 2007 4:04 AM PDT

note that its recommended system is a dual core cpu, 2GB of ram, and geforce 7900gt/8600gts or better graphics card. anything less and you're going to have to reduce your resolution or start turning off most of the visual effects.

even dual 7600gs cards don't approach the performance of a 7900gt so you should consider a geforce 8600gts (or try to find a 7950gt or radeon x1950xt). evga 8600gts, $160 before $150 rebate: http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=321211

cpu-wise, your options are limited because of your 939 socket motherboard (socket 939 was obsoleted by socket am2 more than a year ago). athlon x2s go all the way up to 3.4ghz (x2 6400+) but require the am2 socket. but in the 939 flavor, you're limited to 2.2ghz (x2 4200+ is $70). x2's are overclock friendly so you should be able to crank an x2 4200+ up to 2.6-2.8ghz fairly easily.

Collapse -
Bioshocked
by Cooperm4n / October 5, 2007 5:21 AM PDT

I may have made a rash move but I managed to get a new AMD 64 FX 57 2.8GHz...after watching second hand ones swap places on ebay, over a two week period, for the same price (

Collapse -
Check this recent post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 5, 2007 5:43 AM PDT
Collapse -
Bioshocked
by Cooperm4n / October 5, 2007 10:07 PM PDT

Thanks RP

These links seem to refer to Duo Core - the AMD 64 FX 57 is, by my understanding, a single core. Do you think I will have to install updated drivers for a single core?

Coopem4n

Collapse -
"For XP you need to download and install the AMD CPU driver.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 5, 2007 10:33 PM PDT

"For XP you need to download and install the AMD CPU driver."

I supplied the links to a discussion and the driver. There's very little else I can supply for you about this. Print the discussion out if you have difficulty with this for the tech to finish the job.

Bob

Collapse -
Bioshocked
by Cooperm4n / November 3, 2007 1:28 AM PDT

Thanks RP

Finally gotten around to intalling my FX57 with the help of your directions...cheers. The delay was, in part, due to the UK postal strike!

I'm now in gaming heaven!

More RAM and a GPU upgrade next!

Cooperm4n

Collapse -
Thanks for the report.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 3, 2007 1:34 AM PDT

Glad the tweaks and drivers helped.

I've noticed other games work better after such changes.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.