Desktops forum

General discussion

Bios won't recognize WD HD

by harr840 / February 5, 2006 12:24 AM PST

Several times when I have removed or replaced components in the PCI slots the bios will not recognize my hard drive when booting up. I have found the quickest way to boot up is to unplug and replug the power cable on my master hard drive. Is this a problem common to WD or is it a bios problem with my Biostar MB? Thanks. Steve

Athlon XP Barton 3000+
Biostar M&NCG 400
1Gb Kingston Value Ram
7200RPM 80Gb&250Gb WD HD w/8Mb buffer
400s Rosewill PSU
Rosewill 6600 AGP VGA
Soundblaster Live Soundcard
Leadtek PVR2000 tv tuner
Optorite 48x CD Burner
Liteon 16x DVD burner

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bios won't recognize WD HD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bios won't recognize WD HD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Does the board have it's latest BIOS?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2006 12:28 AM PST
Collapse -
Bios won't recognize WD HD
by harr840 / February 5, 2006 12:37 AM PST

Yes, according to the bios date listed on the Biostar webpage. Thanks for the reply.

Collapse -
Then the other items.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2006 12:40 AM PST

1. MONSTER POWER SUPPLY?

Sometimes you see this and VGA card failures with overtaxed power supplies.

2. Hard disk setup.

Tell me you use 80 conductor cables and cable select jumpers.

Bob

Collapse -
Bios won' recognize WD HD
by harr840 / February 5, 2006 12:50 AM PST
In reply to: Then the other items.

I am using 18" rounded ultra cable for 2 devices from Tigerdirect. Isn't there a formula to determine PSU requirement?

Collapse -
WD Setup
by harr840 / February 5, 2006 1:00 AM PST

I have my 80GB setup as the master and the 250Gb setup as the slave. When installing the 250Gb I wasn't sure how to setup the pair as cable select.

Collapse -
RE CABLE SELECT
by VAPCMD / February 5, 2006 3:19 AM PST
In reply to: WD Setup

For modern hard disk drives using the PATA interface, you virtually must use an 80-wire, 40-pin cable. If you don't, you simply wont get maximum performance from the hard drive. You can use designate drives as CABLE SELECT (CS) by jumpering drive(s) . . . hard disk drives, CD-ROMs, ZIP dtrives, etc,. on the same IDE channel as "CS". Connectors on most 80-wire, 40-pin cables are typically color coded ... the motherboard connector is typically BLUE, the middle connector is typically GRAY and the (other) end connector is BLACK. Rounded cables as well as some flat cables often have pull loops on them indicating the placement of drives on the cable. Drives to be used as MASTERs are placed at the far end of the cable (BLACK connector) and drives to be used as SLAVEs are placed at the middle (GRAY connector). Cable select jumpering makes it much easier to set up systems with drives that can be easily moved around within a system or between systems.

Hope this helps.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Yes there is.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2006 1:00 AM PST

But I tend to add 100 more to any calculator because the power supplies degrade over time. My Athlon 64 is not too full yet I installed a 680W PSU. I'm sure it would never deliver 680 but it assures me that I don't have an issue in that area.

Bob

Collapse -
PSU requirements
by harr840 / February 5, 2006 1:12 AM PST
In reply to: Yes there is.

So, is my problem more with my PSU wattage than having the HDs setup as master/slave? If so, where can I find the formula? PS: I had this problem even before I replace my XFX MS4000 with the Rosewill 6600 VGA. Thanks.

Steve

Collapse -
Sorry, you didn't share so I can't tell.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2006 1:27 AM PST
In reply to: PSU requirements

I shared it could be an issue. You didn't tell what was in the machine so it would be nothing more than a guess that it's part of the problem.

Then again, the hard disk could be on the verge of failure, but I share the usual and more common failure issues based on what you write. The more you tell, the closer the forum can be to guessing what is the issue.

Bob

Collapse -
PC Configuration
by harr840 / February 5, 2006 1:34 AM PST

Sorry, new to this post. I thought that my system components listed in my original post was visible to all posts.

Athlon XP Barton 3000+
Biostar M&NCG 400
1Gb Kingston Value Ram
7200RPM 80Gb&250Gb WD HD w/8Mb buffer
400s Rosewill PSU
Rosewill 6600 AGP VGA
Soundblaster Live Soundcard
Leadtek PVR2000 tv tuner
Optorite 48x CD Burner
Liteon 16x DVD burner

Collapse -
400 can be "light".
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2006 2:29 AM PST
In reply to: PC Configuration

Given what's in your post and no story (such as it worked before), I'm sticking to overtaxed PSU or failing drive.

Try:

1. Unplug the CDROM drives. Frees up quite a few Watts, retest.

2. Unplug a stick of RAM, retest (a few more Watts.

3. Test the hard disk with the drive maker's fitness test.

The story would add or not to the aging parts story. PSU's degrade pretty quick.

Bob

Collapse -
PSU
by harr840 / February 5, 2006 3:12 AM PST
In reply to: 400 can be "light".

Bob,

The PSU is about 2years old. Both HDs, MOBO, and RAM were installed 4 months ago. I have had this problem since the installation. Any time I do a hardware installation or change the BIOS gives my trouble in booting up. When booting up it does not immediatley recognize my HDs and goes into a really slow process of going into the bios settings. Usually I can reset all the settings to default and reboot okay. Recently, this does not work and I discovered that if I unplug and replug the master HD that the system will reboot properly. I am really puzzled and since I am not a pc guru I am at a loss to the root problem. Thanks. Steve

Collapse -
That's a fine clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2006 4:28 AM PST
In reply to: PSU

The age of the PSU does help to point to it as a possible suspect. At least there are some simple tests to reduce the load and that drive fitness test to see if you can find which area/part to explore/replace.

Bob

Collapse -
Random thoughts
by Bob__B / February 5, 2006 3:52 AM PST

So, is my problem more with my PSU wattage than having the HDs setup as master/slave?

Well I'd sure try the CS jumper setting...just to see if it made a diff.
===================

If so, where can I find the formula?

It's not an exact science but this may help.
http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

After you fill in the chart add 25% for fudge factor and you should be close.

BTW. bigger does not hurt.

Collapse -
PSU Requirements
by harr840 / February 5, 2006 4:08 AM PST
In reply to: Random thoughts

Bob,

The formula shows needing 325 watts. So, maybe due to the age and only 75 watts to spare I need to bump up to a 450w PSU. It wouldn't hurt. I'll config my HDs to CS and see if the system boots up properly. Thanks again. Steve

Collapse -
You are not factoring in the 2 year old "age".
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2006 4:31 AM PST
In reply to: PSU Requirements

I've seen new power supply barely meet the label values. In fact 9 out of 21 tested at tomshardware.com failed or burnt out when tested at it's rated value.

To add more to the load, an aging motherboard will slowly increase it's load.

There are very well known reasons for these effects, but by supersizing the power supply you don't have to discover this.

Bob

Collapse -
Bob...are there any ...
by VAPCMD / February 5, 2006 5:53 AM PST

sites that document PS degradation based on age ?

Collapse -
Yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2006 8:16 AM PST

Research ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS. Find the datasheets in PDF form and look at the aging curves. This is the primary component that causes the aging.

To sidestep the issue, always pick the largest PSU you can afford.

Bob

Collapse -
New PSU
by harr840 / February 5, 2006 8:46 AM PST
In reply to: Yes.

Bob, Thanks for the info. I am going to order a 450 or 500 watt Rosewill from Newegg. Hope this fixes the problem. The Leadtek tuner card has an internal hadware mpeg encoder that surely takes alot of watts when burning dvds. Thanks, Steve

Collapse -
Why a new PSU? Did you do any testing?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2006 8:59 AM PST
In reply to: Yes.

I offered some simple tests to sniff out if that's the issue. If you didn't do the tests, then it's premature to pop for a power supply.

Bob

Collapse -
New PSU continued
by harr840 / February 5, 2006 9:18 AM PST

Factoring the 25% I would currently need @ 425 watt PSU. When running several programs while surfing the internet, will a weak PSU slow down opening different webpages? I have noticing a slowdown when going from webpage to webpage. I can visit the same site on my son's PC and his is faster. I plan on changing the HDs to CS before I finally decide to order a new PSU.
Thanks.

Collapse -
No. An inadequate PSU does not have this effect.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2006 9:24 AM PST
In reply to: New PSU continued

It's more a stability or "wierd issue" issue.

I've been able to sniff out some without swapping by reducing the load.

Bob

Collapse -
PSU continued
by harr840 / February 5, 2006 9:30 AM PST

Got you. That's something that I haven't done, but will definetly try. Thanks, Bob. I'll let you know how it turns out. Stve.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) How often do you change cards in PCI slots ????
by VAPCMD / February 5, 2006 5:58 AM PST
Collapse -
Changing PCI Slots
by harr840 / February 5, 2006 8:38 AM PST

I noticed some artifacts in my Rosewill 6600 VGA. So the other day when I installed a new Leadtek PVR 2000 replacing my Kworld tuner, I took the opportunity to swap the USB card that was right next to the VGA with my Soundblaster card that is about half the size. I was experiencing some VGA problems and have also removed the Rosewill several times to reinstalling my XFX MX4000 VGA troubleshooting and had the same problem with booting.

Collapse -
A good PSU option
by VAPCMD / February 5, 2006 9:18 AM PST
In reply to: Changing PCI Slots

Here's another PSU option that's worth looking at the FORTRON-SOURCE AX450-PN. Specs are great, it's the 20+4 pin design so it works with older and newer systems, it's also got dual 12V rails +12V1@18A and +12V2@18A and the price is $49.99.

PS...FSP has making PSUs for a good while often under other names for other mfgs. Check out their reveiws on Tomshardware.com and elsewhere on the WWW.

* FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX450-PN, 12cm FAN, version 2.0, 2 SATA, PCI Express, 450W Power Supply - OEM
Dual +12V: Yes
Efficiency: > 70%
Fans: 1
Hold-up Time: 12.0mS minimum
Input Frequency Range: 47 - 63Hz
Input Voltage: 115/230 V
Main Connector: 20+4-Pin
Over Voltage Protection: +3.3V (4.6V max.), +5V (6.5V max.), 12V1 (15.5V max.), 12V2 (15.5V max.)
PFC: No
Power Good Signal: 100-500ms
* Model #: AX450-PN
* Item #: N82E16817104954
* In Stock
* $6.99 Three Day Shipping
* [16 reviews]
* Move To Wish List
* $49.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104954

Collapse -
PSU good option
by harr840 / February 5, 2006 9:28 AM PST
In reply to: A good PSU option

Thanks for the info. I am going to change the HDs to CS to see if that corrects my issue.

Collapse -
Using CS ...it can't hurt at this point....wonder if
by VAPCMD / February 5, 2006 10:00 AM PST
In reply to: PSU good option

its an IRQ conflict ?

Collapse -
IRQ Conflict
by harr840 / February 5, 2006 10:27 AM PST

This is something I know nothing about. Please provide me some guidance on this issue. Thanks.

Collapse -
IRQ Conflicts
by VAPCMD / February 5, 2006 11:12 AM PST
In reply to: IRQ Conflict

Go to:
- Start
- Settings
- Control Panel
- System
- Hardware
- Device Manager
- View Resources by Connection
- Expand view of Interrupt Request

Then problem is if you can fix it by turning off or unplugging the PC...and then restating you'll never see the conflicts You'd have to check the IRQ issue before that if possible.

http://ask.americas.creative.com/wwenglish/general/IRQ.htm

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.