General discussion

Bios Update

I bought a Dell Studio 15 and it came with a bug....the computer shuts down at intermittent times and Dell says that it need a bios update. I downloaded the Bios, but reading the instruction for installing it looks daunting! I am afraid to touch the Bios! This is a software issue that Dell does not warrantee, so I'm on my own. Thoughts/ideas?

What should I do? I have the bios software ready to install, but am scared $hhitle$$ to install it!

HELP,
Beth

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Bios Update
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Bios Update
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Just so you know.

I never re-write those BIOS update instructions. Have Dell get this done for you. That way if it fails they get to fix it.
Bob

- Collapse -
Bios Boogey...

I'll call them tomorrow and let you know what they say.

Beth

- Collapse -
Actually, with the Dell Laptops BIOS ...

updates are pretty simple and usually fool proof.

If you had provided the actual model of the laptop we could have offered more precise instructions but these instructions for the Studio 1537 should be almost if not exactly the same for your model.

In Short you download the proper BIOS (that is where your Service Tag number is very handy) then you close any open applications such as your browser and you double click the downloaded file (for the 1537 it is named 1537_AO9.EXE so yours will be named similarly).

After double clicking the file the flash window opens and you simply click CONTINUE and the "magic" happens with no further effort on your part.

CNET Forums