Desktops forum

General discussion

BIOS retrieval disk?

by seafox13 / February 1, 2006 9:13 PM PST

Jetway 866 AS motherboard failed to boot yesterday, with no post or beep at all, and blank screen.
There is power on all optical and hard drives, but machine will not post. Fitted new 400W power supply, reseated all cards and memory, and removed Athlon XP 1800 CPU, then reseated using Arctic Silver on heat sink contact surface. Also fitted new 3v CMOS battery.
Still no beep at all, although HDD spins up. Also monitor screen black, with seemingly no signal.
Can I assume that the mother board has collapsed, or the CMOS chip fried, or somesuch?
I read where one user said that he downloaded a BIOS retrieval disk onto a floppy, powered on with it in the drive and after a pause, everything fired up as normal.
Does anyone have any knowledge of this process, please?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BIOS retrieval disk?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BIOS retrieval disk?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
bios retrieval
by vixenk / February 1, 2006 11:13 PM PST
In reply to: BIOS retrieval disk?

Since you're getting a blank screen, a bios flash probably won't work since the bios isn't even getting to the phase where it realizes you have a floppy drive. It can't hurt to try, though. Happy

Your motherboard site can give you instructions on how to update your bios here: http://210.201.178.76/evisn/download/update.htm

This is where you can download Award Flash: http://210.201.178.76/evisn/download/bios/Awdflash.exe

And this is where you can download the bios bin file: http://216.185.128.200/temp/jetway0c/downloads/bios/868as/868ASA05.BIN <-- *that bin file is for the 866AS so if you have the pro, ultra, or ultra raid versions DON'T download that file... you can find the bin files for the other versions at http://210.201.178.76/evisn/download/bios/download1.htm *

If that doesn't work, there's a nifty little tool called the bios savior you can buy that can help you fix your bios *think of it as a clone of your bios that can load your bios files back into your bios even if it's corrupted*. That can be found here: http://www.ioss.com.tw/web/English.html

If you don't want to put out the cash for that though, there's another option called hot flashing your bios. It's a bit on the risky side, but as long as you're careful you should be fine. Do a search in Google for the keywords *hot flash bios "how to"* minus the astricks. The basics involve getting a Windows based flash utility *NOT a DOS based utility* on the working computer along with a copy of your bios bin file, booting the working computer up into Windows, taking the CMOS chip out, replacing it with your bad CMOS chip *the CMOS is only utilized at startup, which is why this can be done*, flashing your bad CMOS chip, and then shutting down the computer and putting your now good CMOS chip back into its motherboard. As long as your bad CMOS chip is the same type as your working computer's CMOS chip *i.e. as long as it can fit into the working computer's CMOS slot*, you're good to go.

Collapse -
Inspect innards...
by Willy / February 2, 2006 12:29 AM PST
In reply to: BIOS retrieval disk?

A bios update maybe too deep or to even try at this point, since you can't see anything(display) it would be pointless. I suggest at the bios level, try a CMOS clearing of setting. Find the pins or pads to help clear the CMOS(bios) of current setting and it defaults to basic setting. If you get back the display, then re-enter the bios to reset to what it was before for best operation of the system. If you can't get a display, then the mtrbd. is done in or the cpu itself has failed. You can simply remove the cpu entirely, apply power then and see if it "beeps away" if it doesn't then you got a mtrbd. problem. If it does, then replace cpu. Inspect closely all componets on the mtrbd. for anything remotely looking damaged, leaky, burnt, discolored, buldged, etc. as a clue. If you had this system for awhile, it maybe just showing its age and 1 or more componets have degraded or failed. Even though you have power to drives, that doesn't suggest all power voltages are present, thus keep that in mind or meter for such.

tada -----Willy

Collapse -
Thanks willy and vixenk.
by seafox13 / February 2, 2006 4:20 AM PST
In reply to: Inspect innards...

I thought that removing the CMOS lithium battery reset the BIOS to default, but I will ascertain which jumper to swing to ensure this.
I closely inspected the board when I had the cards and the CPU removed; it appeared pristine, with no bulging, domed, discolored, or leaking capacitors.
I should add that this problem occured when attempting to restart after I told my son to move a few megabytes of his music from C partition to E partition (C,D and E) on my 120 Gig hard drive. It was also a hot day. (41 degrees C.) He later said that the computer had stopped itself, and rebooted a couple of times. Oh, and all malware and spyware measures were in place.
None of the stockists here in South Australia still carry Socket A boards, or older Athlon XP processors, so I may need to trash this 4 year old machine. Great pity.
However, I will post back if I come up with a fix.

Collapse -
Last htoughts...
by Willy / February 2, 2006 12:56 PM PST

Duh!, replacing battery would reset the CMOS, dooh, I should have known that.

A sore point with AMD cpus is that they belly-up quickly if loss of cooling, mainly the cpu fan. The system bios should be set to shutdown or off in this event as it reaches overtemp range setting. But, if this was too high or simply a case of bad luck, the cpu can fry in secs.. What better excuse to upgrade that to get a better system, consider 4yrs. is a lengthy time for a system for practical usage. As for the capacitors, they can be *slightly* budgled on top, very slight and that can be enough if more than one, it can happen. As a last resort, if the bios was set to boot from FD, then HD, place any bootable floppy in there and see what it does.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I tried that, Willy, but no dice!
by seafox13 / February 2, 2006 2:38 PM PST
In reply to: Last htoughts...
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?