Alert

BIOS & RAID Boot Problem.

PROBLEM
Well, I just wiped my computer for an upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate, and a bigger SATA drive.
Ever since I wiped it and put in the new drive, it skips the boot page
which allows me to hit F8 to enter BIOS setup and features. Instead, it
goes to this "RAID" menu, telling me my computer cannot be setup with
RAID, then gives me the infinite loading loop. Now, the problem is, I'm running a 40GB IDE hard drive
beside the SATA for storage of all my music. When I plug this drive in
though and try to boot the computer, it will try to boot the secondary
IDE drive first. Well, since I can't get into my BIOS due to this "RAID"
page that pops up before I can enter BIOS setup, I can't set the boot
order for the SATA to boot first. <b>
PC Specs That May Help
</b>

Motherboard: BIOSTAR K8T800-A7A

SATA Hard Drive: Western Digital 160GB WD1600AAJS

IDE Hard Drive: Western Digital (e)Server 40GB

<b>PLEASE RESPOND ASAP</b>
I use this computer for running small servers, and need it running ASAP. Any help is very appreciated!

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">
Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: BIOS & RAID Boot Problem.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: BIOS & RAID Boot Problem.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Might be proper.

These BIOS are often limited when we mix IDE and SATA. Try it with just SATA drives.

- Collapse -
Hmm..

I already have all my music on the IDE drive, with no backups. I was able to get it to load sometimes by plugging in the IDE cable shortly after windows was loading (probably not the safest thing for the PC). I might try getting it to boot. Until then, if you know ANY programs that I might be able to install or anything to help, even if it is just slight, feel free to speak up. Thanks.

- Collapse -
So no backup?

Since this is a bios and machine configuration issue there is no known software to get around this.

I don't see any links to a product manual to see if there are more BIOS options so while we might fix this with a newer motherboard that has better support of mixing IDE SATA drives can you share why you think software is the answer when you can't boot?

-> Other problems?
http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=213 does not list an OS past XP!

Also, in the manual on page 49 and 50 why didn't you change the BIOS to non-raid before adding drives?
Bob

- Collapse -
Should have read up on facts.
Can you share why you think software is the answer when you can't boot?: I can boot the computer without plugging in the IDE drive until windows is booting, but then it wont recognize. I was wondering (probably not possible) if there was any software to look for the drive after the PC is booted to load it.

Why didn't you change the BIOS to non-raid before adding drives?:
Didn't know the BIOS would load with RAID while adding drives, I don't think RAID ACTUALLY installed, but I think it is in RAID config. Will I have to re-install windows when changing it back to non-RAID?
- Collapse -
You'll only know this by trying.

I can not predict the future of old gear like this. I do know that I can change the setting back if I needed to.
Bob

- Collapse -
Where did you pull info?

You said later on "Also, in the manual on page 49 and 50", my manual seems to only go to 38, do you know how to switch the motherboard to non-raid?

- Collapse -
(NT) The product manual from the link I supplied.
- Collapse -
PS. Page counts are off.

The PDF reader noted 49 and 50, the printed page is something else. It appears you are not reading the manual. That's OK. Most folk need a few aspirin before opening such.

- Collapse -
Time To Finally Sit Down And Read.

Time to finally sit down and read through the manual, hopefully this gets me somewhere, I will update you if I fix it or not.

- Collapse -
FIXED (Somewhat)

Well, I am now able to enter the BIOS of my PC, need to just install windows and make sure that it understands the 40GB IDE is a slave drive.

- Collapse -
FIXED

Thanks so much for your time.

CNET Forums