Computer Help forum

General discussion

Bios problem

My wife's computer is in BIOS. I cannot do anything to close it. Some have suggested it's a battery that needs to be replaced, but this doesn't seem to match my previous experience with battery going bad, because I was seeing the clock time getting slower. Her BIOS shows the correct time and date. Ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bios problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bios problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
An idea ...

In reply to: Bios problem

would be to better explain exactly what you mean by "My wife's computer is in BIOS. I cannot do anything to close it. "

Does this mean that upon booting the computer it goes to the CMOS setup without any warning or messages about pressing F1 or F2?

By mentioning you can't "close it" do you mean you cannot save settings and exit BIOS?

Have you or someone recently tried to flash the BIOS?

Help us with some specifics.

Collapse -
Yes

In reply to: An idea ...

It's in CMOS. No one has tried to flash it, certainly not my wife. I've tried F10, I've tabbed over to exit (which is the same thing, I think). The page blinks out for three seconds or so -- that is, I see a black screen -- then I see CMOS again. If I turn the computer off, and turn it back on, it looks normal for a few seconds -- it's the first thing I see every time it's rebooted, then it goes straight to CMOS.

Collapse -
Try resetting to defaults setting then save and exit ...

In reply to: Yes

Might also be indicating that there is no drive detected although normally a message to that effect would be displayed. Look around in the CMOS settings to see whether drives and RAm are properly detected.

The motherboard or system manual should also tell you how to short a jumper to reset CMOS - give that a try.

Collapse -
Look into...

In reply to: Bios problem

Was anything done before this bios problem appeared, like new h/w? Have you replaced the CMOS battery at all, the cost is cheap and if the system is at 2-3yrs. old now, it may need one anyways. Did you at least reseat the battery, clean the contacts and are firm?

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.