Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Bios Password

Does anyone know how to get past the bios password on a Gateway computer with windows ME?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bios Password
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bios Password
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Some suggestions:

In reply to: Bios Password

Before attempting to bypass the BIOS password on a computer, please take a minute to contact the hardware manufacturer support staff directly and ask for their recommended methods of bypassing the BIOS security. In the event the manufacturer cannot (or will not) help you, there are a number of methods that can be used to bypass or reset the BIOS password yourself. They include:

Collapse -
Keep in mind

In reply to: Bios Password

I gave the information under the assumption that this is YOUR computer and not somebody else's that you are trying to gain access to when they don't want you to.

TONI

Collapse -
Computer is

In reply to: Keep in mind

Computer is my sons. He left it here with a virus in it. I have tried all the back door passwords but no luck. It comes on and says Gateway, then it asks for the CURRENT password. I hoped to get it running for him while he was away. If not, then I'll just have to wait until he returns and gives me the password, If he remembers it. The computer was purchased in 2001 from Gateway.

Thanks again for you help

Rick

Collapse -
Toni

In reply to: Keep in mind

Toni,

My son said that he never put in a password there. He said he never saw that before. I have emailed Gateway Tech support. If they get back to me fine, in not I don't know what I'm going to do next. It will not allow anything to be read off of the CD rom or the Floppy disk. I guess if he didn;t put it there it might be some kind of virus. Did you here anything on this?

Collapse -
Need some info....

In reply to: Toni

First....is the screen asking for a password actually all black and white? Or is it a small Windows type dialogue screen that shows a username and is asking for a password to be typed into the area right below that username?

If you have the second type of screen, is there a Cancel and an OK button on the right side of those areas? If so, you can click OK or Cancel without entering anything in the password line and the computer will continue to boot up. We can help you get rid of that screen later if needed.

If you have the first type, you can get around that password by opening the case up first....then remove the small flat silver battery (looks similar to a watch battery) for a few minutes, then put it back and reboot the computer. This normally will reset the bios back to defaults and remove the password it's requesting.

TONI

Collapse -
First Screen

In reply to: Need some info....

I am getting the first screen.

Gateway told me to press the F1 key down and het into setup. It will NOT let me in there. I will try your method of removing the battery next

Thanks

Collapse -
Thank you

In reply to: First Screen

Thank you Toni, removing the battery did the trick, however I now find out that he lost the factory disks. I need to download a Hayes compatible modem driver.

Thanks again

Collapse -
Odd.

In reply to: Thank you

Windows ME has native "Hayes" modem drivers that work just fine. That is unless your modem isn't a Hayes.

Bob

Collapse -
was busy

In reply to: Odd.

Was busy removing spyware from the computer. It had some dialer that was trying to hijack the computer. Have everything back in order. Still need to do a Panda online scan and the one at Trend Micro.

Looks pretty promising except for there is no sound. The computer didn't come with a sound card, so I don't know how to get it back. I was told that it didn't have sound for some time.

Just glad to get it back operating again.

Thanks again

Rick

Collapse -
Could be that the sound is actually

In reply to: was busy

on-board (built into the motherboard itself) rather than a separate card. You should be able to go to the mfr site (Gateway.com) and looking up the model make and model number, you can locate the sound drivers for it.

TONI

Collapse -
Finally

In reply to: Could be that the sound is actually

Finally, I have the computer virus and spyware free. I have tried to do as you suggested, however when I go to gateway, I entered the serial number and it tells me that Windows 98 is detected on this computer. It came with Windows ME installed. I downloaded the ME drivers for the sound and followed the instructions. When it shup down, things seemed ok. Then it restarted and told me new hardware found. I again followed the instructions. The computer shutdown and when it went to restart it would not. I had to use a start up disk and start computer with-out CD rom support, Then type the following
C:
cd windows\command
scanreg.exe / restore

to start the computer. Computer is only starting in the selective mode with the first two boxes unchecked. Still works great this way but still no sound. I am hoping my son finds the factory disk. If not, I guess he'll just have to use it this way.

Thanks again for your help

Rick

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!