Computer Help forum

General discussion

BIOS help needed!!!

by zaaz / November 5, 2004 10:09 AM PST

I have this problem with a pc running windows xp. I don't think the problem is related to windows though. maybe it's something wrong with hardware. basically when I start up the computer and that basic bios screen shows up the computer kind of stops responding for about 2-2.5 minutes. after that the memory test runs and all that and the windows xp loading page shows up. after that the screen turns black for about 1.5 minutes and after that the windows xp login page shows up. after that everything works pretty normal and without any problems. I just have no idea why those two long pauses happens which is not normal. sometimes I also get this on the screen before the memory test runs: <CPUID : OF13 PATCH ID :0004> MEMO which didn't come up before when things worked normal. could the problem be related to the processor? does anyone have a clue about what could be wrong?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BIOS help needed!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BIOS help needed!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Do a search here in the forums
by Ray Harinec / November 5, 2004 10:29 AM PST
In reply to: BIOS help needed!!!

and the MS knowledge base et al for BOOTLOG and related. Win XP has such and may show what is causing the delay. I have never used it, so can be of no real hope. Cursor cowboy is a good one to search for it as well as Robert Profitt.

Maybe post in the XP forum for it and how to use it.

Collapse -
Re: BIOS help needed!!!
by Cursorcowboy / November 5, 2004 8:43 PM PST
In reply to: BIOS help needed!!!

Use the NTBTLOG.TXT file to potentially identify startup problems.

a. "Enable Boot Logging" to creates a text log file in the systemroot directory with this name and can be double-clicked for viewing. The log lists files that Windows attempts to load and precedes the path of each by identifying them as Loaded driver or Did not load driver. Restart the computer, and when prompted, press F8, and then select Enable Boot Logging on the Windows Advanced Options Menu. Else, the articles [Q833721] and [Q323427] discusses the procedure for editing the Boot.ini file to enable boot logging.

Note: If a critical system file is corrupted or missing, Windows might generate a STOP message or write an entry to the Event logs or both, which you may not even be aware of.

b. To check an item listed in the Did not load driver section:

(1) Check for zero byte files or files with date and time stamps that do not match the Windows installation date.

(2) Compare files in systemroot\System32 to the same files on the Windows CD or another computer running the same edition (and service pack(s)).

(3) Run the System File Checker (Sfc.exe) command-line tool to inspect system files, [Q310747].

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Great catch, Thanx texas Bill.
by Ray Harinec / November 5, 2004 10:10 PM PST
Collapse -
by zaaz / November 6, 2004 1:27 AM PST

thanks for your reply. I got that NTBTLOG.TXT file and there are a few lines with "did not load driver" present. but then I am not sure what to do with that. I also ran that sfc.exe and there was this check up going on for some time but in the end nothing much happened and the problem is still there. but then I am not sure if the problem is related to windows. I also reinstalled windows but it didn't help. I mean I would even go for a fresh install and format the drive if that would help but I am just not sure if the problem is related to windows. basically what's going on is that when I start the computer I get that normal black screen with ...INTEL 845PE AGPSet BIOS for 8PE667 F5 ... CHECK SYSTEM HEALTH OK VCORE = 1.750 and after that there is this 2-3 minute pause and nothing happens not even if I press del. to access the bios settings. so after those 3 minutes there is this memory check and the hard drive and the cdrom and so on is listed and then the windows starts to load.... so I don't know to what could the problem be related to.

Collapse -
by Bob__B / November 6, 2004 3:29 AM PST

I have a bit of a problem with this bios delay being an OS issue. (not that I know much)

I don't have your machine or bios but based on this machine the bios sreens/post take a few seconds and then on to the OS load.

I'll assume the bios delay is not normal for your machine so if it was me I'd start making the machine smaller.

You don't need things like floopies/cd's/dvd's/hd's/modems/nic's etc.

So start unplugging that stuff and see what happens with the bios delay.

Collapse -
by zaaz / November 6, 2004 9:51 AM PST

hi bob,

well it seems your idea was good. I just unplugged the scanner and the printer and that solved the problem. reinstalled their drivers and now it works fine. thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.