HolidayBuyer's Guide

Laptops forum

Resolved Question

BIOS help?

by ilikerhinos / June 13, 2014 2:15 PM PDT

Need either a stock or custom BIOS, HP Mini 110-1000 died yet again. Definitely not afraid to try anything new as this thing has been revived far too many times.
Checked the battery, it's ok. Looking to hopefully remove the WIFI/bluetooth whitelist. This time it died thanks to HP's garbage software. :/
If anyone has ideas for BIOS mods I'm all eyes and ears.

ilikerhinos has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BIOS help?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BIOS help?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
(NT) Why the BIOS?
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 13, 2014 5:10 PM PDT
In reply to: BIOS help?
Collapse -
tested some stuff
by ilikerhinos / June 14, 2014 6:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Why the BIOS?

RAM is good, all the ports are working, screen works. It has no HDD/SSD, its booting from a MicroSDHC with Porteus 3. Power/battery still perfect. The MOBO battery is nearly full charge, just tested it an hour ago.
The problem is when it boots up, there is no BIOS screen anymore. It shows the HDD light, power/wifi lights, and then it just hangs until I physically unplug the power cord or battery.

It's done this before, and the trick was to press on all the keyboard keys, including L&R on touchpad, and cross my toes hoping it'd start.

No idea what to think except maybe it's the BIOS?

Collapse -
Now that's slightly more helpful.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 14, 2014 6:35 AM PDT
In reply to: tested some stuff

There were some netbooks that required us to pull the battery and do the usual generic reset. But most of the time this is not a BIOS defect. That is, all that was caused by a battery or board failure but never, so far that is, a BIOS issue.
Bob

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by ilikerhinos

Collapse -
Doubtful
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 13, 2014 10:28 PM PDT
In reply to: BIOS help?

The bios is not usually the cause of most failures I see. In fact I'd peg it at 1 bios failure in over 2 decades of PC repairs at a few shops. You can see why I doubt it's the bios.
Bob

Collapse -
you'll never believe this,
by ilikerhinos / June 14, 2014 10:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Doubtful

was rearranging stuff and accidentally knocked it on the ground, about a 4' drop. It's wasn't turned on before the fall but after the power/wifi lights are on, so I open the lid thinking it's finally a goner and I'd never have guessed this, but the BIOS screen was back, and then the welcoming message about no boot device. Definitely going in the list of odd fixes..

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.