HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

BIOS error

by kwokwai -space4english / February 23, 2006 4:47 PM PST

I am using Win98.
The system performed well yesterday, but when I turned it on this morning, an error showed in the screen:

"0327296 KB Memory Good"
"CPU BIOS Update Code Mismatch"
"Equipment Configuration Error"

I pressed F1, and I could go into DeskTop as usual.

Please help if you could!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BIOS error
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BIOS error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: BIOS error
by Kees Bakker / February 23, 2006 8:33 PM PST
In reply to: BIOS error

Kwokhai,

Some information about this error (after you put a new CPU in) from Acer (just for Acer computers) in http://support.acer-euro.com/documents/reports/stepping.html

I agree with the general line of remarks I found on google for this error. If you didn't change the CPU (and you explicitly state you didn't do anything, so I assume it's the same CPU as yesterday) this points to some hardware issue either with the CPU or the motherboard. Things to try:
- go into the BIOS and reset it to it's defaults
- flash the BIOS (= install new copy of BIOS), see your computer manual on how to do it
- have the CPU replaced
- have the motherboard replaced
Putting a new battery in the motherboard might help to prevent the error from re-occurring.

Or accept the situation if it's a one-time error only. Or accept the situation if it occurs at every boot, but doesn't have any dire consequences for the functioning of your machine.

I expect people like Bob Proffitt or reefurbb (both more hardwarea oriented than I am) to give additional remarks. It's not a Windows 98 problem at all (totally OS-independent), so you might try the Computer Help forum if no definite answer comes here.

Kees

Collapse -
sorry, but
by kwokwai -space4english / February 23, 2006 10:51 PM PST
In reply to: Re: BIOS error

I am sorry, but I didn't replace any hardware or install new software recently.
I just visited Yahoo and CNET Forums Yesterday night, and turned off the PC and then zzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZ...

When I turned the PC on this morning, I could hear the MB just beeping, and I finally found that it was due to loose connection of cable between PC and the Monitor.
After I fixed this issue, the PC stopped beep but showed me the error message!

Collapse -
Gold medal for Kees...
by reefurbb / February 23, 2006 9:49 PM PST

What IS your PC (not an Acer?)? The mobo might be a clue, if a junky type.
More like...what are your ram sticks? Looks like a 256mb-64mb combo?
Anyhow, looks like PC 66 or PC 100, and your PC is a PII...?mhz
www.memtest.org or www.memtest86.com . Have a GOOD floppy; download memtest86; BATch it to the floppy; run it.
Unless you have a K6-2 AMD processor, I suspect one of your ram sticks is acting up. Have one in at a time for test, or see if one stick causes the BIOS error and the other one doesn't. It takes awhile to run 1 full pass.
Bad ram can begin to cause data errors that you shouldn't have Scandisk fix until you find the problem.
I've only seen 1 bad Intel PII, but 4 bad K6-2.

Collapse -
RAM
by kwokwai -space4english / February 23, 2006 10:59 PM PST
In reply to: Gold medal for Kees...

I think the MB should be Acer and my PC has got a Acer brand-name.
For the RAM issue, I have got such the combination:
1 PC-100 64MB, 2 PC-133 128MB, but I never encountered any problem due to such the config. since 2003...

Collapse -
I advised you about the ram...
by reefurbb / February 24, 2006 12:52 PM PST
In reply to: RAM

as testing is free and the easiest to check first. You still haven't stated the processor.
If, after much more checking, it turns out to be the mobo, most Acers I've seen are mechanically proprietary, can't use a generic replacement.
Ram can go bad at any time....
Except I can't remember seeing a 72pin stick go bad.

Collapse -
Nod to Kees...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2006 10:49 PM PST

I agree with that assessment. It's a great summation of what is written about that message.

Bob

Collapse -
http://support.acer.com/desktop/aspire...
by reefurbb / February 24, 2006 2:02 PM PST

you have PII or celeron or PIII, up to 600mhz.
Mobo has a riser slot for the riser board with all PCi-Isa slots. It means you won't find a generic replacement except from Acer ($$).
After you test the RAM, 1 at a time, it's probably the mobo (with all the problems of your posts).
PII and PIII usually don't go bad.
But the power supply is low output (130w?) and you next need to check all power supply voltages with a good digital voltmeter.

Collapse -
Pentium(r) II Processor
by kwokwai -space4english / February 25, 2006 12:33 AM PST

P II CPU, Intel MMX(TM)

Collapse -
Such old system may fail.
by Kees Bakker / February 25, 2006 6:56 AM PST

Might be time for another one.

Kees

Collapse -
you must be kidding...
by kwokwai -space4english / February 26, 2006 12:47 AM PST

I think I couldn't afford to have a new PC, even thought they are no longer expensive!

Collapse -
you must be kidding...
by kwokwai -space4english / February 26, 2006 12:49 AM PST

I think I couldn't afford to have a new PC, even thought they are no longer expensive!

Collapse -
Then repair what you have?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2006 12:52 AM PST
In reply to: you must be kidding...

The spare parts market is very active. It's part of the game in maintaining such an elder machine.

Bob

Collapse -
Such old systems may fail.
by Kees Bakker / February 25, 2006 6:57 AM PST

Might be time for another one.

Kees

Collapse -
oh Kees...oh Kees...
by reefurbb / February 25, 2006 9:18 PM PST

If Kwokwai would test the ram and power supply and see okay, I would agree wit ya, but PII 233mhz is still viable for W2k because M$ now offers some bells and whistles of the XP class and more drivers are availible for older stuff, unlike a few years ago; and newer stuff having drivers for XP are now offering ones for W2k also. At some point already or soon, drivers for new PC's to revert to W98SE will not be availible.

Collapse -
what is it about for P II CPU, Intel MMX(TM)
by kwokwai -space4english / February 26, 2006 12:52 AM PST

On startup, there are a few infos about my PC config...
I could see PIII with 500MHZ, I wonder if the CPU's really running 500MHZ or slower than that...

Any ideas?

Collapse -
it really is 500mhz...
by reefurbb / February 26, 2006 8:10 AM PST

Google for "wcpuid utility", download, unzip (or use winrar) and run it from the folder. It clocks yer processor to .0x mhz. Free, just as memtest86 is, which you haven't used yet. Your choice I guess.
There's 95% chance there is nuttin' wrong with yer PIII 500mhz processor.
Google for "belarc adviser" which must be installed, free. It will inventory a lot about yer PC. Once the inventory web page comes up, you can go to "file" "save as" "web page only" to future view results.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.