Laptops forum

Tip

bios & dpc values (pcmcia)

by krashminded / April 1, 2014 10:37 AM PDT

hello, i need your help.
my choice depends on BIOS development and audio related requirements (DPC values etc).
so which one should i pick from this list?
which would be the best brand in those terms?

best
c

1. Lenovo ThinkPads (T61, R61, X61, and X61 Tablet series)

2. Sony SZ VAIOs

3. Sony AR VAIOs

4. Panasonic ToughBooks

5. Dell Latitudes (except XT)

6. Dell Precision mobile workstations (except M6300)

7. Gateway C-141X and C-141XL series

8. Hewlett-Packard (HP) 530 series

9. HP/Compaq 6515B, 6715B, 6510B, 6910p, 8510, 8710p series

10. Acer Ferrari 5000 series

11. Acer 6292 series

12. Acer TravelMate 4720, 5520, 5720 series

13. Acer Extensa 4220, 4620, 5620 series

14. Acer Aspire 5050

15. Fujitsu LifeBooks, many various models

16. Fujitsu Tablet ST5112, T4220, T2010, P1620

17. Toshiba Portege M700 series, R500 series

18. Toshiba Tecra A9 series, M9 series

19. Toshiba Qosmio G45

20. Averatec 1100

21. Winbook GL35, GL20P

22. Micron MPC 7410M, 7110M, 7125C, 7220M, 7235C, 7320M.

23. Micron MPC TransPort T1300e, T2500, T3200.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: bios & dpc values (pcmcia)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: bios & dpc values (pcmcia)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
BIOS?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 1, 2014 10:41 AM PDT

Once Windows and Linux gets running there are so few BIOS calls it's not funny anymore. I'm going to guess this is not about audio production. Tell more and no, I've yet to see any discussion that tests this. In fact, how about you sharing a test so folk can get you a standard result?
Bob

Collapse -
PS. Try Notebookcheck forums and
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 1, 2014 10:54 AM PDT
In reply to: BIOS?

Supply a link to the DPC Latency Checker for you to collect results.

Collapse -
choice
by krashminded / April 1, 2014 12:54 PM PDT
In reply to: BIOS?

well, first of all, i don't have lots of hardware experience.
and i really need a pick from the list. but don't know which of them.
in fact i have new a pcmcia sound card with a new (old) great sound interface (multiface rme).
the problem:
i need perfect sound, that's my job.
no audio problems. and i know (i was told) Dell is quite famous for their lame BIOS development and the ignorance against audio related requirements (low DPC values etc), especially on older units like the latitude. i knew about some multiface owners ex-Dell users who spent a lot of time without knowing the real interface potential.
i almost bought a dell d620 unit, a great old horse, but it'd possibly bring me bad times, and no perfect quality of the interface performance.
i just need to know what unit from the list is the better in terms of what i'm seeking.
best
c

Collapse -
Good hunting.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 1, 2014 1:01 PM PDT
In reply to: choice

All those are likely to be in folk's closets or such. We just had a discussion about audio capture at a link to follow. DPC latency is a non-issue since we use other than a PC for that. I'm guessing there is some reason why you are looking to laptops from generations ago. Anyhow, good hunting and be sure to supply the test tool you want folk to use. The other discussion link follows.
Bob

-> http://forums.cnet.com/7723-7591_102-615364/transcription-of-vinyl-to-hd-effect-of-soundcard-on-sound/?tag=contentBody;threadListing

Collapse -
yes i hear you
by krashminded / April 1, 2014 1:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Good hunting.

but in fact, what i'd need to know to simplify is:
which one of those brands (i mean the brands themselves, not the units - whose i can find 2 handed) has best sound tradition, and a perception (among users) of bringing its users good quality sound and good "character" in contact with interfaces and more advanced stuff of sound?
i am a musiccian, but i barely use laptops (til now).
and the card i got is PCMCIA (so, i depend on that: unveil what would be the more trustable brand in these terms).
btw would you mind bringing it to your son?
best
c

Collapse -
My son would never see such a laptop.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2014 2:44 AM PDT
In reply to: yes i hear you

I think all the gear there is from the post-PCMCIA generation. You are dealing or diving into the past here so all I can do is ask for you to clarify to others exactly how to measure that DPC latency then chat about newer technologies and how PCMCIA is pretty much old tech.

In fact you can see why PCMCIA is such a drag when you look at how it was based on 8 MHz ISA architecture. That could be slower than USB 2.0! That's really old stuff. I can't guess why you are stuck with PCMCIA but hey, everyone has their reasons.
Bob

Collapse -
yes i have!
by krashminded / April 2, 2014 3:47 AM PDT

that's beacause my interface connection depends on a PCMCIA port when plugged into a laptop.

what i need to do is:

among lenovo, acer, vaio and dell:

which one used to offer best sound, which one has the best tradition in terms of audio?

Collapse -
That's why you post in a few forums and detail how to!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2014 3:52 AM PDT
In reply to: yes i have!

I don't have any of those machines. Well I do have access to a Compaq R3000 with the single core AMD 64 but that's so old it's never pulled from storage except to update a client's apps. (XP SP3, VB6, etc!)

I wonder why after all these posts details are missing about how to test that latency so others that may have such a laptop can get you some numbers.
Bob

Collapse -
At the office we have a lot of laptops.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 1, 2014 1:08 PM PDT

But PCMCIA slots are gone. Not one laptop takes such a card. I did find a DPC Latency Checker online and tried it. It said the 2 laptops I tried were fine. But what makes me wonder is your odd choice of such old machines. Seems that folk today would use newer gear without trouble. I know my son does. He's an audio engineer at a film production house.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!