PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Bios ACPI

The Bios ACPI is attempting to write reed from an illegal Port adress (0x70) (0x71)
microsoft knowledge base -283649
I have windwos XP and an athlon procesor year 2001 tried to update but there is no update available
is there somebody who could help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bios ACPI
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bios ACPI
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Bios ACPI

In reply to: Bios ACPI

I take it this is an error message u recieved in the even viewer?
read this article:-
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/pnppwr/powermgmt/biosaml.mspx?gssnb=1

Basically, your bios is performing an i/o port function which windowsXP considers maybe harmful - in short you need to go to the web page of your mother board manufacturer and download a program to upgrade your bios - upgrading your bios can be quite harmful if you dont do it properly - so unless you are having trouble with your computer because of this problem you are best to ignore it - if you still want to solve this problem and upgrade your bios i can help you do that - but be warned it can be dangerous.
Peter

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Bios ACPI

the technician allready upgrated the bios, but there is no new update for my bios, the problem I have whith my comp is that when it is closed over night or for more then 10 hours when XP has finished loading it closes and a blue sceen apppears and I have to restart my comp mannualy, have problems whith the date (not time) and allso with incredimail and system Mechanic. After I fix al this the comp works perfectly well and have no further problems. my processor isAMDATHLON-PECM,850Mhz motherboard Chaintech 7AJA2(E) year 2001

Collapse -

Can you get them to install a compatible OS?

Windows 2000 may not force you to replace the motherboard.

Bob

Collapse -

thank you very much for your response, I think its the only way I could fix my problem, only one more question what happens with all the drivers, mean printer etc all for XP?

Collapse -
Re: Bios ACPI... drivers.

With the popularity of XP, I've found drivers for Windows 2000 to become more plentiful.

Maybe I should write this. When you install a Microsoft OS, you get to find and install the drivers.

Bob

Collapse -
new bios, motherboard or operating system???

In reply to: Re: Bios ACPI... drivers.

is it the bios or motherboard that is the limiting factor? (ie which of the 2 controls power saving) - and if it is the bios, is it possible to get different bios in most cases.

Peter

Collapse -
just thought about it

In reply to: new bios, motherboard or operating system???

why install a bios that is better than the motherboard or visa-versa!!!

Collapse -
Re: new bios, motherboard or operating system???

In reply to: new bios, motherboard or operating system???

in system error register it says its the bios,I have three options suspend chut down and reinitiat

Collapse -
Re: new bios, motherboard or operating system???

In reply to: Re: new bios, motherboard or operating system???

It is the BIOS. The issue is well known. If your motherboard maker didn't update the BIOS, then you get the issue.

Clear enough?

Bob

Collapse -
I take it english is not your native tongue!

In reply to: Re: new bios, motherboard or operating system???

But you are doing well.

What we are saying is that your bios/motherboard in not compatable with winXP and this you have to accept or change to win2000.

But i asked you when you turn your computer off do you say "shut down" or "stand by"??????

I have presumed you ask to "stand by"

The "stand by" is controlled by the bios - and if this is not working properly you should just ask your computer to "shut down".
Peter

Collapse -
Re: I take it english is not your native tongue!

In reply to: I take it english is not your native tongue!

no its not, spanish is my native language and also german and I mean shut down

Collapse -
Re: I take it english is not your native tongue!

In reply to: Re: I take it english is not your native tongue!

you will need to turn off automatic shut down (do this in the "control panel\power options" and shut the computer off yourself instead.
Or try telling the computer to go on "stand by" instead of "shut down"
But if you have bought the computer with winxp (or the dealer said it is compatable with winxp) and you are still under warrenty then the dealer must fix it - and either put in a new bios or mother board.
Hope this helps
peter

Collapse -

when u say u "close over night" do u mean:-

1/ shut the computer off
2/ go on stand by
3/ or hybernate????

there is a difference and not all computers can perform all 3 properly

You could ask your dealer to set your bios so that the bios handles power saving functions (not all bioses can do this) - at the moment it sounds like your operating system handles the power savinging. However, I am not 100% sure if windowsXP allows your bios to manage the power - but as Bob Proffitt has said if your computer is not 100% compatable with windowsXP then maybe you should ask your dealer which version of windows is compatable. But try the methods i have suggested first because unless you are having real probems i woulod keep windows xp as it is the better operation system.
Peter

Peter

Collapse -

Collapse -
Just asking.

Why wasn't the BIOS updated?

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Just asking.

In reply to: Just asking.

dont know the technitian updated the bios, I have the update on my desk but I think its not the one I need because he said there was no new update, thats why I sent the web page so you can see if that would help, anyway I do not know how to get the update and either to install it, I really do not know so much of comp the update that is in my desk says AJA2CO5 so its not the same I should need. At that web they don't explain how to get the update

Collapse -
How to get it?

In reply to: Re: Just asking.

I clicked on the word Taiwan on the left side. The ,EXE runs an extracter and you get the .BIN file. From that you read their web site on what to do next.

If you want to know what version you have now, then you boot and tap the PAUSE key to look at the BIOS screen.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: How to get it?

In reply to: How to get it?

thank you very much, there is still one question I opened it through google and it says its for windows 98 I will try the way you told me

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: How to get it?

Please write GRITTY DETAILS about what you did. I didn't have to google anything and the Taiwan link fetched the .BIN file and no mention of Windows 98 was offered.

If you went to some other site or googled something, I wasn't there to see it.

Bob

Collapse -

Vera,
just click on the blue writing and you will be taken to the page.
peter

Collapse -

Thank you very much for answering again, yesterday I looked over chaintech update for my comp on the page I told you, and its the same the technician allready downloaded, and it didn't help at all, I have Everest installed and there I can find out all about my comp so I think it is not necessary to go to bios. I have been asking arround and really until now cant find a real solution, unless spending a lot of money that I do not have at the moment

Collapse -

when I use any registery tool I get a blue screen it says Stop:0x00000050x00000000,0x80613378,0x00000000 I thought it was a Problem of System Mechanic but its not in your forum I found a page from microsoft where this error appears, but now I lost it, it has to do whit ACPI BIOS, so I think its a harddrive, the thing is

Collapse -
With a noncompliant: Bios ACPI

I expect this machine to fail in wonderful ways.

Until you resolve the BIOS issue, either by an update (which appears doubtful) or by installing a HAL that is not an ACPI one, then and only then would such errors subside.

Sorry to read that your machine supplier and supporter doesn't understand the implications and move the machine to an OS that doesn't have this issue.

Bob

Collapse -
Recap. "download" doesn't mean it's installed.

In reply to: Bios ACPI

I read it again and just read "download". I downloaded it too to see if you needed more than the .bin file.

You never reveal what BIOS version is in the machine's FLASH. Having it on the hard disk does nothing to fix the issue.

There is also another solution and that is to change XP'x HAL. Here's the article -> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=299340

You'll want the "Standard PC" and the unit will no longer power off on its own, but shouldn't have the IO conflict.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Recap. "download" doesn't mean it's installed.

In reply to: Recap. "download" doesn't mean it's installed.

IT SAYS AWARD MODULAR BIOS v6.00PG When the technichian came home he told me he had made the upgrade I really do not have any comp knoledge Don't know what you mean by IO conflict. I only know is when I have my comp shut down for more then 10 hours when I open it after having windows all opened I get a blue screen and it tells iif its the first time it happened I should reinitiat

Collapse -
Still doesn't mean it's installed.

In reply to: Re: Recap. "download" doesn't mean it's installed.

Collapse -
Re: Still doesn't mean it's installed.

In reply to: Still doesn't mean it's installed.

perhaps, the technitian wanted to go back to windows98 and if you read the posts you will see that even the first or second opinion was to try to stay with xp and I agree, because I'm used to this and I like it and as long as I do not shut down the comp we can do almost everything without problems so I' wait and see, thankyou very much and I'm almost shure its installed,(the update) its only the same bios I already have thank you again

Collapse -
Re: Uninstalled System mechanic

In reply to: Still doesn't mean it's installed.

I Uninnstalled System Mechanic and now the comp doesn't crash any more, when registery tools where working the comp showed the blue screen, I payed for system mechanic software have send many support tickets, answered once and not again. I' still waiting for an answere.

Collapse -
Re: Uninstalled System mechanic

In reply to: Re: Uninstalled System mechanic

With XP, many of these tools are just not required. I can write the same about Norton System Works. It may fix or break the machine.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.