Computer Help forum

Question

BIOHD-8 error code

by blhaas1 / November 2, 2014 10:14 AM PST

When I run a diagnostics test on my HP Pavilion Slimline s3521p I get this error code. BOHD-8. I have done a lot of browsing and it seems to be some kind of hard drive problem. Some suggest to restore the computer, others say replace hard drive, still others say the mother board causes the hard drive fail.I did another hard drive test on a HP site and it checked good.
The only probems I have is that on rare instances I have a "crash dump" or a "blue screen of death" when using Skype video calling. Has anyone got any idea what is going on????

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BIOHD-8 error code
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BIOHD-8 error code
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Given you've read all those
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2014 10:32 AM PST
In reply to: BIOHD-8 error code

You discovered it's more than one issue. And the last fix may not fix yours. Did you try to run the machine without the HDD? (yes, you can. go get a Live CD/DVD OS.)

Collapse -
I just now tried a cd and it works fine.
by blhaas1 / November 2, 2014 10:41 AM PST

I think all my programs work fine

Collapse -
I thought BIOHD 8 was a hardware issue?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2014 11:18 PM PST
Collapse -
Answer
(NT) If it were mine...I'd go VFR to HP for TECH SUPPORT.
by VAPCMD / November 2, 2014 10:32 AM PST
Collapse -
Answer
I had this error message too
by jdonalds / December 18, 2015 1:46 PM PST

My 8 year old HP desktop threw this error about two weeks ago. It told me my second HDD, the one on which I keep all of my data (music, photos, video, documents) was bad.

My first concern was to get a fresh backup of that data. I moved the drive to my laptop (USB 3.0 interface) but the data was already corrupted to the point that I couldn't grab the data. At this point I was certain that the 2TB HDD was bad. I immediately ordered a new 3TB drive.

Being that this was an old computer I decided to go for an upgrade. I had read user comments indicating that the BIOHD-8 error was really a motherboard problem, not a hard drive problem.

Now two weeks later I have a new motherboard, CPU, RAM, and C: drive, and the new 3TB hard drive. I didn't want to put the possibly damaged older 2TB drive in the new system. With some effort I'm back online.

I reformatted the old 2TB drive that the HP computer indicated was bad. I then ran chkdsk and scan on the old 2TB drive and found no problems with it. My plan is to install it as a RAID 1 mirror drive with the new 3TB drive. Running the older 2TB drive in a RAID configuration. If it fails I shouldn't lose any data. It will be a good way to prove the 2TB drive is still good.

I'm now convinced the problem was with the old HP computer, not the hard drive.

So include me in the long list of people who say the BIOHD-8 error message is fabricated by the HP motherboard, not a bad hard drive.

I suppose since the motherboard could actually throw the BIOHD-8 error when a hard drive has actually failed that it is only a matter of chance which has failed; the motherboard or the HDD.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!