General discussion

Bill seeks to deny driver's licenses to illegals

Washington -- The House is expected to pass a bill today that would effectively block states from providing driver's licenses to undocumented immigrants -- making moot California's simmering debate over the issue.

The legislation proposed by Rep. James Sensenbrenner, R-Wis., would require states to verify that all applicants for driver's licenses are American citizens or are living in the country legally. If states don't comply within three years, their licenses couldn't be used for federal purposes, including boarding airplanes.

The proposal by Sensenbrenner, who chairs the House Judiciary Committee, was stricken from the national intelligence overhaul bill that Congress passed last autumn because it was considered too controversial. If it passes as expected in the Republican-dominated House, however, the bill faces an uncertain future in the Senate.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/02/10/MNG7QB8O591.DTL

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Bill seeks to deny driver's licenses to illegals
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Bill seeks to deny driver's licenses to illegals
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
That would be nice........

But I think it will continue as it always has. They just get fake drivers license and fake SS cardsHappy
Then they manage to buy cars that already have a two year plate on them, never get insurance and head back to Mexico when they get caught! Leaving the other driver with no recourse but to go to his own insurance!
Glenda

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) i know :(
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Now all they have to do is end handouts too
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) i agree send them back
- Collapse -
comply within three years - - weak

Makes as much sense as taking three years to plug a hole in a boat.

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) beats whats happing now
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Agreed! And THIS boat already sank to the bottom:(
- Collapse -
Libertarians also oppose the bill, Mark

because it creates a de fact national identity card (except it's legally 50 different cards, but all meeting the same Federal standards).

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

- Collapse -
well thats a shame

i want them out of here

- Collapse -
Darn it, Dave

We're going to preserve our way of life if it takes sacrificing every freedom we have!

Get with the program.

Dan

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Wow. Useless sarcasm. Never seen that before
- Collapse -
when dan cant add anything helpfull

the export of all he uses his so called wit or whatever he thinks it is

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Go climb a tree, Mark.
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) sigh
- Collapse -
Mark! That's Dan's trademarked line. Surely, we don't

want to rob him of that.

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) shucks and its so original :)
- Collapse -
Now that was a nice polite reply, Dan :) LOL

That was sarcasm, Just in case you didn't catch itHappy
Glenda

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) No, but it was more polite than what I replied to.
- Collapse -
well Dan

when an illegal allien runs into you i hope your insurance is high enough

- Collapse -
It is.

I have very good insurance.

Thank you for your concern.

Dan

- Collapse -
So, illegal aliens with no insurance are OK because

your insurance company will cover the costs? I hope it's just a fender bender.

- Collapse -
I disagree, but thanks.

I hope all your accidents are minor, too.

Dan

- Collapse -
It's called ''uninsured motorist coverage''

Standard stuff here in NJ. Not sure about where you live.

That said, on the surface of things it seems like a no-brainer to me that people who aren't in the country legally should not be able to get driver's licenses or other legal identification documents. As a homeland security issue though, it should be pointed out that all 19 of the 9/11 hijackers were in the country legally, so this new legislation would not have applied to them. One thing that makes sense to me is that the driver's license should expire when the visa does. Atta, for example, had a six-month visa but a six-year driver's license. When he simply overstayed his visa figuring the bureaucracy would never catch up to him, the driver's license might have been a way to catch him.

- Collapse -
'Standard Stuff'

Here too, but shouldn't have to be Sad It's an added cost we all bear Sad

Evie Happy

- Collapse -
It is a cost we all bear but

we'd bear it whether we had illegals with DLs or not. There are plenty of natural citizens driving around without insurance.

- Collapse -
How many is 'plenty' of natural citizens?

I think a lot more Mexicans buy insurance just long enough to get tags or window stickers, then cancel.

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) What do you base that statement on?
- Collapse -
All the bill does

is standardize requirements across the country for identification so states can honor each other's licenses, which are used for identification purposes along with allowing for driving privileges.
Not a biggy, nor a big scary intrusion of Big Brother.

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) It's step 1.
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) why you afraid of

CNET Forums

Forum Info