Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Bill Bennett Responds to Critics over Black Abortion

by Edward ODaniel / September 30, 2005 5:10 AM PDT
Former Reagan administration education secretary Bill Bennett blasted his critics Thursday night, including Massachusetts Sen. Edward Kennedy, of whom Bennett said: "I'll not take instruction from Teddy Kennedy. A young woman likely drowned because of his negligence."

Bennett is on the hot seat for remarks uttered Wednesday during his radio show, "Morning in America," where he was arguing against some of the more extreme justifications for abortion, calling them "ridiculous and morally reprehensible."

The article mentions the Democratic response and points to the specific hypocracies in the response and of the res[ponders.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bill Bennett Responds to Critics over Black Abortion
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bill Bennett Responds to Critics over Black Abortion
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's rich!
by Kiddpeat / September 30, 2005 6:41 AM PDT

Byrd actually wrote that the KKK is a "fraternal group" made up of "upstanding' people", and was not criticized by the civil rights 'stalwarts'? The Democrat Party certainly has wonderful leadership doesn't it?

Collapse -
You folks don't get it (and neither does he).
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / September 30, 2005 1:41 PM PDT

What's really offensive isn't his comment about abortion -- everyone realizes that was over-the-top and not meant seriously. What's patently offensive (and racist) is his underlying assumption that crime is exclusively due to Blacks!

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
It is a fact
by Diana Forum moderator / September 30, 2005 1:51 PM PDT

A good chunk of crime is black on black crime. Don't know the percentages but it is way out of proportion to the number of blacks in the population.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) well is the crime fits :)
by Mark5019 / September 30, 2005 2:04 PM PDT
Collapse -
the point is, he's right if you look at it logically
by jonah jones / September 30, 2005 3:48 PM PDT

abort every (insert 1 of the following) black/white/indian/mexican/greek/jewish/muslim/catholic baby and the crime rate will GO DOWN, not VANISH....

he just happened to say "black" (possibly because there are so many in your country?)....

Collapse -
I believe around 12.9 % of population
by John Robie / September 30, 2005 5:04 PM PDT

in the US is Black/African American.

At the end of 2002 there were 3,437 sentenced black male prisoners per 100,000 black males in the United States, compared to 1,176 sentenced Hispanic male inmates per 100,000 Hispanic males and 450 white male inmates per 100,000 white males.

Bennett should not have made such a comment and should know better, however I like his remarks about not taking crud from the likes of Sen Ted Kennedy.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) He didn't say that either and you know it!
by Kiddpeat / September 30, 2005 5:07 PM PDT
Collapse -
The clear implication is crime as mainly a Black problem
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / October 1, 2005 1:19 AM PDT

While it is true that relative to their %age of the population, there are more Blacks in prison, there are a lot more white criminals than Black. How about aborting all the white babies to prevent serial killings, since the vast majority of serial killers are white? (all but three, AIR...) The fact that anyone would try to excuse his racist, insensitive, reprehensible comments beggars belief.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) That is not the clear implication.
by Kiddpeat / October 1, 2005 1:22 AM PDT
Collapse -
by John Robie / October 1, 2005 1:47 AM PDT

Regardless of "%age of the population"
and "there are a lot more white criminals than Black", you need to look at what is regarded by many on
statistics as to _____number in prison per 100,000 persons for a reasonable picture. You seem to be held tight by your blinders.

I'm not trying to justify anyone's statement, but as others here have said in effect... "tell it like it is" and yes there are more white serial killers in the US.

Collapse -
Reread my post, J.
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / October 1, 2005 1:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Err.......Dave,,,,

I acknowledged the %age stats you cite -- but in total numbers, it's a different story.

Collapse -
a 'story' that has no effect on the validity...
by Edward ODaniel / October 2, 2005 3:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Reread my post, J.

and accuracy of the statement made.

Racist connotations or advocacy of such a policy on the part of Bennett are in the mind of the narrow minded.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Clueless as usual
by Evie / October 1, 2005 5:22 AM PDT
Collapse -
That spastic knee prevented you...
by Edward ODaniel / October 1, 2005 7:12 AM PDT

from actually considering EXACTLY what the comment said.

Since you likely didn't follow the link in the response to your previous post do follow this one.

Although The Seattle Times Editorial Department is almost as far left as you, Kennedy, and the NYT they managed to grasp the meaning of the remark even though they didn't like it.

He could well have said exactly what you suggested about aborting all white babies to reduce serial killings and it wouldn't have been racist, just another example of how statistics can be used to mislead.

You need to concentrate on seeing what IS in an article rather than seeing things that are NOT in the article. The fact that you can't seem to is what "beggers belief".

Collapse -
by Bill Osler / September 30, 2005 9:52 PM PDT

Slow down, Dave. He didn't say anything about exclusivity.

Everything about the remark was so far over the top that nobody should take it seriously, but what he said was probably true. Inappropriate, insensitive and all that? Sure. But still true. Racist? That would be hard to establish. You and others may interpret it that way, but if speaking the truth is racist then we are in deep trouble.

You can argue about whether he was correct solely because of increased actual crime rates in the Black community vs how much of the statistical differences in crime rates is a result of differential rates of reporting, arrest and conviction and so forth but that is another question. No matter how you look at it the American prison population is disproportionately Black, reported crime rates are much higher than average in Black neighborhoods and so on. There may be many causes for these facts but the statistics are real and noting the facts is not necessarily a result of racism.

OTOH, refusing to acknowledge facts is a problem.

Collapse -
This isn't the first time that simple observations have been
by Kiddpeat / October 1, 2005 1:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Exclusively?

shouted down, and it won't be the last. The ability to speak the truth on certain subjects is long gone. Even Bill Cosby had to pay a price for voicing his own views.

Collapse -
We 'get it' but you missed it...
by Edward ODaniel / October 1, 2005 7:02 AM PDT

This source is ALMOST as far left as anyone at the NYT but at least they "got it"

Then there is former education secretary and radio talk-show host William Bennett, who resorted to a racially hateful hypothetical to point out statistics can be misleading.

"I do know that it's true that if you wanted to reduce crime, you could ? if that were your sole purpose, you could abort every black baby in this country, and your crime rate would go down," Bennett told a national audience. Such action would be "an impossible, ridiculous and morally reprehensible thing to do," Bennett said, but noted it would lower the crime rate.

As Dr. Bill points out you somehow saw "exclusively black" in the article and that might explain your views--you don't see what is there but do see much that isn't. Overactive imagination or losing touch with reality can both contribute to that phenomena.

Now, I would be interested in how you perceived Rangel's comment. Was it racist or was he just making a statement?

...at a recent New York town-hall meeting of the Congressional Black Caucus, when Rep. Charles Rangel took to the stage and declared, "George Bush is our Bull Connor."

Whether you or anyone else likes it or not it is a verifiable FACT that there are more black criminals and more black crime than any other race REGARDLESS of how you care to measure it. Seeing it and admitting it is NOT racist although not seeing or admitting might well be.
Collapse -
In what neighborhoods do you find...
by C1ay / October 2, 2005 4:01 AM PDT

the highest percentages of buildings with burglar bars on the windows? Honestly now....

Collapse -
What the hell was Bennett thinking? Somebody as politically
by Ziks511 / September 30, 2005 4:45 PM PDT

savvy as Bennett has to have known how his remarks would be received. It was the dumbest analogy in history, and totally counter-productive, though revealing of his (and others, I'm sure) thought processes and his unconscious, unexamined prejudices.

Crime has always been a characteristic of the most impoverished and marginalized in society. Once it was the Irish, and then the Jews, and then the Italians, now it's the blacks. You don't eliminate the entire population to solve the crimes of the proportionately few. At least not since 1945.

Collapse -
I think he left politicical ambition behind long ago...
by EdH / September 30, 2005 8:17 PM PDT

and is now in a place where he can speak his mind without observing the niceties and politically correct nonsense.

He DID NOT advocate eliminating an entire population of anyone. That's amischaracterization and misses his whole point, which I think is valid.

Collapse -
But the American black predates the Irish,Italians and Jews
by gearup / September 30, 2005 10:09 PM PDT

by many generations.
It is the lack of a tradition that education is the key to entering a socio-economic strata from the outside which still holds them back, while the European immigrants knew that it was the ultimate key to success in this country.

Collapse -
That is more than a bit simplistic ...
by Bill Osler / September 30, 2005 10:42 PM PDT

I don't mean to minimize the effects of the discrimination that European and Asian immigrants had to overcome. However, there were/are real differences between their barriers and the barriers faced by Americans of African descent.

Furthermore, although Blacks did precede some of the European immigrants by many generations, some of those generations were spent in a somewhat different legal status than that of the European immigrants.

Collapse -
In addition
by EdH / September 30, 2005 11:04 PM PDT

Many of the remedies enacted by mostly liberal lawmakers to relieve the problems caused by slavery and racism served instead to exacerbate them.

Collapse -
Look at the context ...
by Evie / September 30, 2005 11:05 PM PDT

... of course the usual suspects here have no interest in doing that.

His comment was a hypothetical -- he WASN'T advocating it in any way shape or form!

where he was arguing against some of the more extreme justifications for abortion

There have been studies and "serious" people (usually NOT of the rightward persuasion) that have tried to tie the reductions in violent crime in the past decade or so to the aborting of potential criminals.

Bennett was addressing the issue and stating the obvious. He also was stating that he wasn't even remotely serious in suggesting it be done!

Think about who promotes abortion as a solution for the high percentage of illegitimate births to black women. Also realize that black babies are murdered at far higher rates than white babies by the abortion industry in this country.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
It is ironic that Planned Parenthood's founder originally
by Kiddpeat / October 1, 2005 1:15 AM PDT

wanted to use abortion to reduce or eliminate the 'inferior' races. The goal was to 'improve' the human race, and the theory was eugenics. Blacks were included in the 'inferior' category. I wonder if he was referring to this heritage.

Collapse -
Guess I'm too lazy to look up,
by John Robie / October 1, 2005 1:28 AM PDT

or don't want to start another discussion on abortion, but I have always heard that there are more babies (illegitimate births) born to unwed mothers of the _____race % wize or per 100,000 in the US.

I also have heard that some caucasians remain unwed until after the birth in order to get welfare help and make it less expensive at the hospital. Whereas more % wise African Americans remain unwed.

Collapse -
The original quote was
by grimgraphix / October 1, 2005 2:56 AM PDT

"But I do know that it's true that if you wanted to reduce crime, you could -- if that were your sole purpose, you could abort every black baby in this country, and your crime rate would go down. That would be an impossible, ridiculous, and morally reprehensible thing to do, but your crime rate would go down. "

Everyone keeps saying that the quote was taken out of context but Mr. Bennett ends his statement with...

"but your crime rate would go down. "

All other arguments aside, this was a boorish statement that can't be justified for any reason.

BTW... we just got through placing the last of the Katrina survivors into our communities or got them back to their families this week. Some were good folk, some were bad. All were grateful to a nation who showed they cared.

Collapse -
"...can't be justified for any reason."
by EdH / October 1, 2005 3:19 AM PDT
In reply to: The original quote was

He made a perfectly valid point and it was cllearly not racist or anti-anything. Why the intolerance of free speech?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) so you support eugenics ?
by grimgraphix / October 1, 2005 3:22 AM PDT
Collapse -
eugenics ?
by jonah jones / October 1, 2005 3:31 AM PDT

what's that got to do with it?

the guy made a statement that no matter how sick/obnoxious/disgusting/boorish or sad you find it,, it's true....

of course, there is a saying that "nature abhors a vacume", so the next colour would be?.........

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?