TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Bigscreen TV Extended Warranties

by seentheworld / January 23, 2006 7:19 AM PST

I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere, but when I did a search, there were 500 pages of hits. You're welcome to post a link to the relevent discussion if you'd like.

I just purchased the Sony 60" SXRD television (KDSR60XBR1), which has a one year parts and labor warranty. I'm not sure, but I may have another year of warranty via the credit card I used to purchase the TV (not sure...need to check on this).

When buying, the salesperson, of course, asked if I were interested in an extended warranty and if so, the number of years. I declined, as he said I could purchase the warranty later.

So here are a few questions (you don't need to answer every one of them to respond):

1. Is it worth the cost? If so, should I get 2 yr? 3 yr? 5 yr? etc.

2. When shopping for this TV, one store told me the warranty was a great idea as it would cover the bulb replacement and that it would certain need to be replaced within 5 years. The store I purchased it from said bulb replacement is not covered under warranty. Which is right (or are they both right depending on who provides the warranty)?

3. If I do get an extended warranty, which organization should it come from (I suspect some warranties are better than others)?

4. Where should I purchase the warranty from? (I suspect different places will offer identical warranties at different prices).

I noticed that the price of the warranty depended on the cost of the TV. If this is important, assume that I purchased the TV for $3500.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bigscreen TV Extended Warranties
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bigscreen TV Extended Warranties
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by stewart norrie / January 23, 2006 7:57 AM PST

You picked a winner. one of the best set on the market today, As far as warrenty goes I have a 3 year old Sony 65" t.v. The first year I had problems twice and Sony warrenty service was great, I feel that if your going to have problems with this set they will appear during the first year of operation So I never bother with extended warrenty. Now that you own a great set go spend all your money on a hi-def Satallite system. and 5.1. sound sysyem andd dont forget the snack bar good luck to you stewart

Collapse -
crt's are different from microdisplays though
by masterying01 / January 23, 2006 12:46 PM PST

that said, i will never buy a warrenty on a CRT projo, just cause those things are built like tanks. literally.

you spent probably around $4000 on a tv that has a consumable part in there which WILL wear out with use. depending on what you do with the tv, from probably 3-6 years. some warrenties DO cover bulbs, while other warrenties do NOT. always ask to see it in writing. when these tv's first came out, best buy didnt cover bulbs, and now they cover up to 3 light bulbs for you. ALWAYS ask to see the information in writing.

some warrenties cover wear and tear while others dont. the bulb is part of wear and tear. a company like panasonic can say in their manufactorers warrenty "bulb covered for 1 year from manufactorer defects"...but if you read farther, they'll also say "does not cover wear and tear". they can argue the bulb is wear and tear, and technically, they are right (like tires on a car, no dealership covers that).

also, keep in mind that if you buy the warrenty from a place like or something...will they be around long enough to honor it? always buy it from a store or place that you KNOW will be around for a while.

lastly, find out what they do if they can't get you a part or can't fix it. do they give you a replacement of their choice? do they give you partial money back? etc. i can vouch for bb (cause i've seen it soooo many times) that if your tv needs to be serviced more then 3 times, or if its too expensive to fix, or the parts no longer exist (lightbulbs), then instead of giving you an equivalent....we give you the money you paid for the TV back in store credit so you can put it towards the purchase of ONE new tv. (minus money from services like install/shipping/tax). so you spend $4k now, 3 years (or you can extend it until it breaks) go by and your tv breaks, you'll have $4k back at your disposal to buy a 1029409inch plasma.

sorry for the long post...what i'm getting at is...ALWAYS ASK FOR IT IN WRITING, and NEVER just buy it based on what the salesman tell you...cause a lot of them do not know crap even if you throw it in their face and rub it in.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?