Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Big Problem

by max312 / July 27, 2007 2:29 AM PDT

ok so yesterday my comp crashed, and now every time i try to log in, i get a blue screen with a message that windows has been shut down to prevent further problems, and then its telling me to shut down any anti-virus programs and to run CHKDSK /F. well how can i do that if i cant even get into windows? i tried pressing F8 and tried every available option there, the loading xp menu comes up but then it frezzes for a sec. and i get the blue screen again. i tried puting my windows xp cd in, but nothing comes up, no option menu just nothing. so im really stuck. please help me. im running windows xp pro sp2.

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Try
by Darton Fury / July 27, 2007 2:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Big Problem

running chkdsk from the Recovery Console. Put in the Windows XP CD and restart. You might need to enter your BIOS to change the boot order -CD ROM before Hard Disk. Follow the prompts like you are going to install XP. At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R. Then you have to type the number of the installation you want. Do not skip this procedure! If you simply press Enter, you will lose all your data. The Recovery Console is a command line environment so you will simply enter, chkdsk /f. Enter Help for a complete list of commands.

Collapse -
When all safe mode items fail...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2007 2:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Big Problem

That's a sign of damage. It could be a failing piece of hardware or some pest really took Windows for a ride but let's talk about your XP CD.

If it's a good XP SP2 CD and you get a blue screen booting that then it's usually hardware related. Tell us what you suspect. Remember you wrote nothing about the PC so there is nothing to be written here yet.

Bob

Collapse -
problem with hardware
by max312 / July 27, 2007 3:54 AM PDT

yes ive been having many problems with my hardware. random restarts, frezzes and sometimes even it loses sound so i have to restart it. i have cleaned the fan and everything so i know its not overheating, i was not able to find out though what was causing the problem. i even tried reformating my comp but that didnt help. and now i cant even get into windows and this is not the first time it happened. and for some reason puting the windows xp cd does not help. the console doesnt come up. luckely i have 1 more comp which works.

Collapse -
All the boot to CD and bluescreen proves is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2007 4:38 AM PDT
In reply to: problem with hardware

You still have some hardware issue. but without details I can't offer what to check. If you had written this or that I would have offered a link to the BAD CAPS page or tell you to try one stick of ram but given nothing to work with all I can do is tell you to repair the machine.

Bob

Collapse -
any other way
by max312 / July 27, 2007 4:42 AM PDT

isnt there any other way to run the chkdsk? because that should repair the file and then i will be able to log onto windows.

Collapse -
Another Way
by Darton Fury / July 27, 2007 8:47 AM PDT
In reply to: any other way

is to install the drive in another machine as a slave.

Collapse -
Sorry I wouldn't.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2007 10:18 AM PDT
In reply to: any other way

Given the bluescreen on the CD boot I think it would be DANGEROUS to run CHKDSK on the drive in this machine. I'd fix the machine first.

I've dropped hints that machine details could help but I must be too subtle. Tell more.

Bob

Collapse -
hardware problem
by max312 / July 27, 2007 10:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry I wouldn't.

well i havnt installed any new hardware, i have 1.5 gig or ram and a lot of people were suggesting that maby its a faulty ram. these freezes and restarts uselly happened when i was listening to music or just surfing the web. last thing i remember was getting a message that a file is corrupt. i was gonna run the chkdsk, but unfortunetly it was too late. i have tried doing this: http://www.schrockinnovations.com/chkdsk.php but nothing happens when i put the floppy in or the windows cd. im really stuck now.

Collapse -
At 1.5GB RAM you can downsize to just one stick.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2007 10:52 AM PDT
In reply to: hardware problem

And if that fails, try another stick.

I didn't ask if you added new hardware but dropped hints you could describe it.

-> This issue is common with hardware. It's just a matter of troubleshooting. Sadly with as little as has been written about your hardware I can't give much direction.

Bob

Collapse -
what do you want to know
by max312 / July 27, 2007 11:34 AM PDT

well ok Bob, tell me exctly what you want to know and ill tell you.

Collapse -
Every post you made asked for details.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2007 11:17 PM PDT

"Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem."

I decline to rewrite this. If you feel it's too much to share then you'll have to put up with what responses you get.

This is not like a tech support site. This is a discussion forum with all volunteers so you get to help others help you.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!