Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Big News in the Linux World Today

Novell's stock is up 2.5% on the following news. Thankfully I've been holding 500 shares of it,...and holding,...holdning...holding...seems forever for some good news to rescue it, LOL.

Anyway the good news is the latest release is soon to hit the store shelves for the Novell's SUSE Linux software based on improvements to the SUSE Linux software it inherited by acquiring SUSE Linux.

On the other hand, it seems expensive enough, and for an "open source" type software, that I hardly see how it will compete equally with Microsoft Windows offerings in the retail outlets. The upgrade is about $40 cheaper and the full version is about half of Microsoft's, so maybe it will compete well.
========================================================
LINK

LONDON, LinuxWorld Expo 2004, Oct. 6 /PRNewswire/ -- Novell (Nasdaq: NOVL - News) today announced the November availability of SUSE

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Big News in the Linux World Today
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Big News in the Linux World Today
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Big News in the Linux World Today

In reply to: Big News in the Linux World Today

One question which I cant seem to get answered. If you go with Linux what happens with the motherboard drivers which are Windows oriented? Also what happens to the onboard audio and video?
I am sure that real Linux heads will have a great time writing their own. But i gave up programming years ago and have no intention of starting in with it at this point in time!

Collapse -
Motherboard drivers

In reply to: Re: Big News in the Linux World Today

Motherboard drivers are for the particular chips on the motherboard, mainly the controller, any onboard video, and most newer boards will have sound, LAN, modem all integrated on the mobo. I haven't looked at the Linux system in that article, maybe Dave Evans could answer your question, but I'm of the opinion you'd need to get the appropriate package of Linux drivers for each item on the mobo you wished to interface with, and likely item by item. I'm fairly certain the mobo controller chips would be covered,(VIA, Intel, etc.) the ones that might be difficult to interface would be the others integrated on the board.

Collapse -
Re: Motherboard drivers: The answer is...

In reply to: Motherboard drivers

...that any prepackaged Linux distribution (SusE, Red Hat, etc.) already has the necessary drivers for the CPU/chipset combination on the mobo. As long as the distro supports the CPU and chipset of a user's computer, there'll be no issues whatsoever about installing Linux to the user's PC.

Remember, the distro installs Linux to a partition that the user creates during the installation. This partition is separate from any Windows partition and is formatted with whatever Linux file system the user desires (ext2, ext3, Reiser FS, etc.) The distro also installs a boot manager either on the hard drive or a floppy to allow access to the desired OS.

As for the cost: When one buys a Linux distribution at a store, you get:

- a precompiled OS;
- a large number of applications;
- the boot manager;
- an installer application;
- help files;
- printed manuals; and,
- some level of free support for the resolution of installation/operation problems.

One can obtain Linux and application software for free from any number of places, but then you must then burn the CD, (possibly) compile the OS kernel, and learn the proper partitioning/installation routines. What commercial distros do is make the partitioning/installation process as automated as Windows users are accustomed to. IMO, SusE and Mandrake are the two best distributions for Linux newbies, as they offer the greatest amount of automation and assistance in the install process and beyond.

Does this help?

Collapse -
Re: Motherboard drivers: The answer is...

In reply to: Re: Motherboard drivers: The answer is...

Agree with all of that. But when installing I think it's easier to install to an unpartitioned portion of the disk. The installer, on Mandrake and probably just about all the other big ones, will partition and format for you.

Someday, when 1.0 is ready, I'll provide a link to a distribution that forked off of Mandrake, became it's own thing, and is making good progress now but still under development. Heck, if anybody wants the link to the live-cd of it now email me.

DE

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!