General discussion

Big difference in opening time of folders.etc

Laptop, (Inspiron- 2.4ghz) XP-pro-sp2,Office 2003 prof, photo proc, no games, Symantec corporate 8.0.1.1, firewall (notXP,) all updates-( hard / soft ware),minimal things in startup, mostly good running machine except for the fact I cannot find the solution to the time difference between clicking on -let's say- My Computer ( or any other desktop folder ) and counting the seconds to open / useable, sometimes count past 30, however right click and select "Open" and POW it's open. Have run SFC, tried the processor driver rollback mentioned on Dell forums, checked hardware updates on Dell site, Chkdsk /f /x /r , rebooted, indexing on, off, verified-toggled DMA on/off/on, defragged, etc.. any other hints/tips out there???

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Big difference in opening time of folders.etc
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Big difference in opening time of folders.etc
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Something must be running in the background

Have you checked Task Manager, (Right click Task Bar, select Task Manager, select Process tab), for any clues?

Mark

- Collapse -
Have tried

(After disconnecting from LAN), turning off nerly everything that makes it a computer, still same behavior-used msconfig to cut the startups way down, still no help, played with the unload dll stuff in registry, manual and windows control of the swap file, etc...considering the "Disable prefetch" registry trick-easy enough to undo...even considering ghosting OS partition to cd's, boot with 98SE disk, Zap the drive-fresh install as Fat32 and see what the difference is... just enough to bug me-esp when there are identical laptops in org. that don't do this at all...

- Collapse -
I found some fixes-

Decided to go for the enableprefetcher=0 setting and then emptied out the folder, + opened services and stopped the indexer-set to disabled and timed it to another normal laptop-ner enough to the same to leave well enough alone- the disabling of prefetcher is supposed to just be for low memory ( I have 512 ) but I'll take any trick as long as it works...

- Collapse -
This is a known problem

I've had this problem, since running XP beta, with Office XP & now Office 2003.
The problem was reported to Microsoft techs & they ended up sending up-stairs to advance techs to resolve, which they never truly did. Originally the files would not open at all now the slow opening. For me this only occurs in I try to open a second file from using shortcuts created on my tool-bar.
I found a simple right click works fine. Right click then open & its open.
My system is used for my business & I open Excel files all day long this way. Would be interested in reading any posts that truly would fix this problem.Eggman

CNET Forums

Forum Info