Laptops forum

General discussion

Big Debate: Turion or Athlon

by hung09 / July 14, 2005 7:05 AM PDT

Hi, I'm a college student in desperate need of some buying advice regarding a notebook choice. First off would it be smarter for me to wait until next year as I expect dual cores and 64 bit intels to make their way onto the notebook market? As far as my immediate needs go I would like to have: 1g ram, 80g 5400 rpm, turion or athlon 64 processor, wireless b/g modem, a good gcard for the occasional game, and a good battery life. I've been thinking about either the L2000 (special edition HP Lance Armstrong notebook) or the R4000. Any comments on either of these two systems? Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Big Debate: Turion or Athlon
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Big Debate: Turion or Athlon
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Very nice machines.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 14, 2005 8:36 AM PDT

I have the R3000 from work. I like both models.

Bob

Collapse -
Since you're in college
by damasta55r / July 14, 2005 10:48 AM PDT

don't wait. The turion would be lighter, but not by much because r4000 is only 7.89lbs. Also, turion would give you a lot more battery life. You're a college student so get the lighter nb and with more battery life. Performance wise, they're comparable.
Roger

Collapse -
Time Factor
by hung09 / July 14, 2005 5:16 PM PDT

I'm in a bit of a bind cause the build date and ship date will take about two weeks. I want to wait for the reviews on the L2000 before purchasing but they may not come out in time. Should I just scrap the reviews or would it be better to hold off until they come out. Thanks again.

Collapse -
My neighbot has the other v2000 series.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 14, 2005 10:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Time Factor

It's form factor is about as nice as it gets. If I was to go more mobile, I'd get the L2000 and never look back. It's very slick without worry about a 64-bit future. The price is very nice.

Bob

Collapse -
r4000
by arch8300 / July 16, 2005 4:09 PM PDT

I have one r4000 and I am in love with everything it does. I also am a college student and it does everything i want it to and more. It plays guild wars very well and does all the normal tasks very good as well. Performance is amazing(2gz 1.5gb ram 15.4 brightview) The only downsides are weight compared it centrino and batt life, but if that is a concern get 2 12 cell batts.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?