Computer Help forum

General discussion

big computer problem

by avjam / October 23, 2007 5:33 AM PDT

i'm getting the blue screen of death, at all times, when i try to boot into xp, the logo comes up, then blue screen, i try to reinstall OS, but wen i boot into the cd, as soon as it says 'windows starting setup now' or something to that effect, i then get the blue screen, i changed the memory, i switched video cards, from AGP to PCI, still getting the blue screen of death, any ideas on how to fix this?

my boss said, it may have something to do with the processor, so i should check the frequency, where in BIOS do i do that? thanx

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: big computer problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: big computer problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
blue screen message
by avjam / October 23, 2007 5:52 AM PDT
In reply to: big computer problem

STOP : C000022 Unknown Hard Error
/Systemroot/system32/ntdll.dll

Collapse -
read somewhere
by avjam / October 23, 2007 6:14 AM PDT
In reply to: blue screen message

that it might a memory/cpu setup problem, but i have no idea on how to fix it

Collapse -
well
by avjam / October 23, 2007 6:26 AM PDT
In reply to: read somewhere

this blue screen message comes up wen trying to boot in XP

Stop: 0000218 {Registry File Failure}
The registry cannot load the hive (file):
\SystemRoot\System31\Config\SOFTWRARE or its log or alternate

It is corrupt, absent or not writable

Collapse -
Using a Legal, Correct, New XP SP2 Disc?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 23, 2007 7:35 AM PDT

The "STOP : C000022 Unknown Hard Error" occurs because the file that is described in the error message is corrupted. It frequently occurs in copied XP discs.

It can also occur if an Iomega Zip drive is on the same integrated device electronics (IDE) cable as the hard disk drive. If this is the case, unplug the Zip drive and install XP first.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
yes, the XP CD is is legal
by avjam / October 23, 2007 7:54 AM PDT

and the system does not have a zip drive, i really feel it is a hardware problem because i copied the ntdll.dll file from the CD to the hard drive but same problem, i changed the video card, tried diff. memory but same problem, what else can i check?

Collapse -
Seen This?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 24, 2007 4:57 AM PDT

Error Message: STOP: C0000221 Unknown Hard Error [Q314474]
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314474

My thought,,did you format the active partition to NTFS or FAT32? If not NTFS, try it.

Made sure you have a good 80 wire ribbon cable?

Have you checked the RAM? Try removing all RAM and installing XP with only one stick of RAM in the #1 slot. If it still fails, remove that particular RAM stick and use another stick but the same slot. If it still fails, try a different slot.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
big computer problem
by billzhills / October 23, 2007 11:17 PM PDT

Have you run diagnostic utilities on the hard drive & memory?

Ultimate Boot CD . From this utility run Windows Memory Diagnostic &
Western Digital HDD Diagnostic in extended mode.

The Memory diagnostic will determine if the memory and memory slots are ok.

If the HDD passes the test perform a full low level format.
This will write zeros to the drive destroying all data and partition information on the drive.

If system shuts down or hangs during tests swap power supply.

If issue persists during tests swap optical device.

Attempt re-install of Windows ....

Bill

Collapse -
Check these.
by BrianZachary / October 24, 2007 9:52 AM PDT
Collapse -
"It frequently occurs in copied XP discs."
by jeremydude2005 / October 25, 2007 8:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Check these.

have heard though cannot 100% confirm it can also occur from running company specific installation disks of win xp on systems that have been heavily gutted and rebuilt and had the disk used to reinstall clean on the new system.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?