Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Big Adware problem!

Help! I have a BIG problem with Adware and Spyware. I downloaded a bad file and now I can't use my computer without 1000 pop ups taking over... I'm getting pop ups advertising to get rid of pop ups! I have tried several programs to get rid of them the last being ewido anti-spyware (ran in safe mode) which did help but these are still a problem:

Adware.Look2Me
traces in the following files:

[1592] C:\WINDOWS\system32\oebccu32.dll
[1876] C:\WINDOWS\system32\oebccu32.dll

and
Adware.Suggestor in
C:\WINDOWS\system32\x3cqp0.dll

Adware.PurityScan
Adware.Mirar in
C:\WINDOWS\system32\__delete_on_reboot__c_w_m...

I get an error message when trying to delete or quarantine them.

I have a Compaq Presario Laptop
Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
HP
AMD Turion(tm) 64 Mobile
1.60 GHz,384 MB of RAM

Any suggestions?
Thanks, Sky

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Big Adware problem!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Big Adware problem!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
HijackThis and other anti-spyware tools

In reply to: Big Adware problem!

Hi Sky,

Have you tried Spybot S&D and Ad-aware SE to scan the system and see if it will handle the remaining problem?

If any of those will not help, get Hijackthis. Follow the instruction on how to get HijackThis and where to post it at:
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=107213&messageID=1223125

There are removal tools for Look2Me in the net (like this one --> http://www.pchell.com/support/look2me.shtml) but it is best to let Hijackthis analyst to tell you what is best for you to use and which items in your computer requires attention e.g. unwanted or rogue program, missing service pack for Windows etc.

Collapse -
Safe Mode?

In reply to: HijackThis and other anti-spyware tools

I have tried the Ad-aware SE but not the Spybot S&D or the HiJackthis. I'll try them. Thanks!
Question- Do these also need to be run in Safe mode?
Thanks, Sky

Collapse -
Sky.. it's a yes and no

In reply to: Safe Mode?

Yes, you can run Spybot S&D in safe mode.
No, you should not run HijackThis in safe mode because the log will not show all "active" and "running" services and processes that is maybe related to your problem. It's best to run HijackThis in normal mode. Please do not do anything using HijackThis (most items are not harmful and is required) other than saving the log and posting it to HijackThis forums then let the analysts read it.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Collapse -
Thanks..so far so good.

In reply to: Sky.. it's a yes and no

I ran the Spybot S&D and the program Avast and it seems to have taken care of the problem. I did download HijackThis but haven't used it. If I have anymore problems, I might have to run it.
Thanks for all your help. I haven't had a pop up since running those two programs. My computer is running a bit slower, but it's MUCH better that getting those darn pop ups. Happy
Thanks again, Sky

Collapse -
You're welcome! We're happy to help

In reply to: Thanks..so far so good.

Slow issue:
1. Create a Restore Point manually using System Restore in XP
2. Clean-up using the freeware CCleaner - http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds.aspx (get the basic - no toolbar, english only)
3. Run the defragmenter in Windows (in Safe mode)

Or
Just run online scan using Live Safety Center http://safety.live.com/
It let you clean-up and tuneup the system (if slow)

Happy

Collapse -
safe mode?

In reply to: Safe Mode?

I personally wouldn't run any antivirus software in safe mode. Your pc is only operating at it's minimum settings, therefore all your files are not accessible.
I downloaded a firewall called Sygate personal firewall. It tells me when someone is port scanning, it allows me to run or block anything on my pc, incoming and outgoing. I would keep Ad-Aware and get rid of Spybot and all the others you have, and go with Sygate. A-squared is also a nice program.
Check it out. You shouldn't have anymore pop-ups. Keep your cookies clean and get rid of temporary internet files daily. If all else fails, reformat your hard drive and start over. Been there done that.
Good luck!
Craig

Collapse -
Spyware adware removal

In reply to: Big Adware problem!

Greeting sufferers

first log onto Geeks2go well worth it
they got rid of those smiley nasties you can't shift

XOFTSPY very fast works a treat- superb buy

EWIDO not so fast but just aquired by AVG antivirus people its good very good

hope these help YOU

regards
Sir Cumferance

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.