Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Biathlon?

by JP Bill / February 16, 2011 1:22 PM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Biathlon?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Biathlon?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Some people have more endurance than sense
by Bill Osler / February 16, 2011 7:03 PM PST
In reply to: Biathlon?

I would think that the hardest pars would be sliding on the ice on your belly while wet and not shivering while standing around in his skivvies.

Anybody wonder if the activity was aided in part by a healthy dose of pre-skate alcohol?

Collapse -
Here's a semi-related for you, Doc.
by drpruner / February 17, 2011 12:22 AM PST

Just a few minutes ago I was talking to a third-grader I know. He's one of the best-adjusted kids around and I attribute much of it to his farm and ranch background. He also does Junior Rodeo, and when I asked about his latest events he said he just got released back to school from a broken femur! (He got his foot caught in a fence just when his steer decide to move away. Steers are what his age group rides, up from sheep riding. At 15 he can ride bulls.) I've met his dad, who seems reasonable, but I noticed the kid didn't say anything about giving up the sport for a while.
21st century irony: As a teacher I'm obligated to report any suspected abuse, but this doesn't qualify because it resulted from 'appropriate recreation' and isn't a secret.
Your thoughts?

Collapse -
I don't know if it's abuse exactly ....
by Bill Osler / February 17, 2011 8:01 AM PST

That said, I don't know that it is wise for kids that age to be engaged in sports that risky.

Some risk taking is part of growing up. I do hate the thought of kids getting broken bones but I had friends who broke their legs skiing. I'm not sure there is such a big difference between that and rodeo in terms of whether the risk is reasonable.

Interesting you should mention that today. I just met a new patient who is a 40 something professional rodeo bull rider. I'm not sure that is wise either but he isn't ready to stop even though he acknowledges he is very much the 'old man' in that event.

Collapse -
Probably it isn't "abuse" since
by drpruner / February 18, 2011 4:45 AM PST

it wasn't reported by anyone involved: kid, parents, treating MD, etc. 'Just part of growing up' around here. I see irony in that.

In adults I think the femur is the toughest bone. Does it heal quicker in kids?

Thanks for the skiing comment. IMO it isn't the same, although many rodeo parents would disagree. Also, recall that an actress in NY state and another woman here, earlier, died after skiing into trees.

A friend who followd PBR said he once had his gas pumped in TX by a well-known rider who was recovering from a badly broken leg. Not a good advert for the sport. 'Got hurt entertaining us, buddy? Go pump gas, then.'

BTW you may know that bullriding is the only rodeo event not based on cowboying.

Anyway, it's out of my hands.

Collapse -
I don't know how fast it heals ...
by Bill Osler / February 18, 2011 7:24 AM PST

I send most major broken bones to the orthopedists.

Kids often do heal faster than adults but not always.

Collapse -
Odds are that the kid's fracture was simpler than the adult'
by Ziks511 / February 18, 2011 3:24 PM PST

s. Kids bones are still growing and somewhat flexible and don't shatter the way adult bones do. So long as there was no damage to the epiphysial plates (the growth plates at either end of the bone), he's in for 6 weeks in a cast unless he requires tension on the bone to ensure it returns to its proper length. If it's simple only 3 of those will be in bed, and three walking around doing the Chester "Mr. Dillon, Mr. Dillon" routine, and a few months of exercise and weight bearing before he gets back on a steer.

I used to do the traction set ups for several of the orthopods at the hospital I worked in in Michigan. (Boy Scout knots) Traction was for fractures with multiple pieces and possibly screwed on plates. Never saw a kid who needed one.

Rob

Collapse -
Judging by his movements getting back on ice
by Ziks511 / February 18, 2011 3:10 PM PST
In reply to: Biathlon?

The guy's part seal. The Celtic peoples believe that the seals are a separate race, and some still attempt to converse with them. And you thought this guy was a few bricks short of a hod.

Rob

Collapse -
and that they could mate with humans
by Steven Haninger / February 18, 2011 6:29 PM PST

Toward the end of the video as he's approaching the camera, I see what appears to be a small laceration near his sternum so he does bleed like humans.

Collapse -
Selkies
by Roger NC / February 19, 2011 7:26 AM PST
Selkies(also known as silkies or selchies) are mythological shapeshifting creatures that are found in Faroese, Icelandic, Irish, and Scottish folklore.
Selkies are seals that can shed their skin to become humans. The legend apparently originated on the Orkney and Shetland Islands, where selch or selk(ie) is the Scots word for seal (from Old English seolh).[1]
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?