General discussion

BHO/bae.dll

Aug 29, 2006 10:50AM PDT

When I ran BHO Demon it came up with following entry:

BAE.dll

Further google search indicates it is a "Browser Address Error Redirector" that is install on Dell Computers.

It takes a Google 404 page and directs it to a Dell Page stating the page has a problem and suggestions to correct. Not very useful.

Htj has a listing of it with the key "ca6319c0-31b7-401e-a518-a07c3b8f77"
It is also a folder in program files.

File.net webpage said it is 58% dangerous for malware and spyware.

Is the analysis by net.file correct and is there any problems with deleting this item.

Thanks for the help

Ray

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: BHO/bae.dll
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: BHO/bae.dll
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
GoogleAE.dll, BAE.dll
Aug 29, 2006 11:10AM PDT
- Collapse -
Hi Marianna
Aug 29, 2006 11:45AM PDT

This info is what concerns me. I do not see the usefulness of this BHO.If I decide to delete should I delete using HTJ. I redirected it and it really tells me nothing of importance.

I had seen the castle cop entry but this one more detailed.

BAE.dll file information

The process BAE.dll belongs to the software Browser Address Error Redirector by Dell Inc (www.dell.com) or Gateway Inc.

Description: BAE.dll is located in a subfolder of "C:\Program Files" or sometimes in the folder C:\Windows\System32. The file size on Windows XP is 94208 bytes.
This .dll file is a Browser Helper Object (BHO) that runs automatically every time you start your Internet browser. BHOs are not stopped by personal firewalls, because they are identified by the firewall as your browser itself. BHOs are often used by adware and spyware. The unique ID of this BHO is CA6319C0-31B7-401E-A518-A07C3DB8F777. The program is not visible. It is able to monitor Internet browser. It is not a Windows core file. Therefore the technical security rating is 58% dangerous.

Important: Some malware camouflage themselves as BAE.dll, particularly if they are located in c:\windows or c:\windows\system32 folder. Thus check the BAE.dll process on your pc whether it is pest. We recommend Security Task Manager for verifying your computer's security. It is one of the Top Download Picks of 2005 of The Washington Post and PC World.

Thanks

Ray

- Collapse -
Hi Ray,
Aug 29, 2006 12:17PM PDT

CastleCops shows an L meaning is ligitimate - I would get rid of it.

Have HJT fix it by placing a check in the appropriate boxes and selecting fix checked.
Make sure all browser and all Windows Explorer windows are closed before fixing

HJT makes a backup - leave it there for a while, and IF no problems, you can delete the backup HJT made Happy

Make sure, you have NO Windows defender, or teatimer, or spysweeper running in the background. Disable it till you removed that ''thing" ( "something running in the background could interfere) Wink

- Collapse -
Deleted using HTJ
Aug 29, 2006 12:41PM PDT

No problems

Thanks for the help

Ray

- Collapse -
Great job :)
Aug 29, 2006 3:00PM PDT

Ray,

You're Welcome - my pleasure Wink

- Collapse -
Regarding Dell Computers
Aug 29, 2006 10:46PM PDT

Hi, Ray,

It was your choice to remove the Google redirector. For anyone else researching this topic, however, I want to make it clear that this particular BHO does come preinstalled on Dell computers.
The page will be generated if the web address you type is not resolved correctly, or if you type a keyword query in the browser address bar.
This is a legitimate BHO that can be uninstalled from the Control Panel Add/Remove Programs. Look for the application named ''Browser Address Error Redirector''. Older versions may be called ''GoogleAFE''.

Regards,
Bugbatter
Lead Analyst, Dell DCF

- Collapse -
Dell BAE (Browser Address Error Redirector)
Sep 21, 2006 1:00AM PDT

The BAE BHO was installed on my new Dell Latitude D420 by the factory. However, there is no link to uninstall it from the Add/Remove Programs applet under either name you listed. It appears this must be done either manually or via a third party utility. (Not a big deal either way.)

- Collapse -
Have a look here how to remove
Sep 21, 2006 1:15AM PDT

METHOD #2: Delete Certain Pre-loaded Programs:

- An easier way might be just to remove known culprits in Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs.
Probably the most common offender is the Google Toolbar that may come preloaded from Dell.
(If you wish, you can re-install this later directly from Google.com, without the problem recurring).
- Other commonly reported entries worth removing may contain, in part or on whole:
URL Assistant
Google AFE
Browser Address Error Redirector (or BAE, or BAE.DLL)
MyWebSearch
MyWay Search Assistant.
All such entries (or similar) may be safely deleted.
- Special case: MyWay Search Assistant After uninstalling, the entry does not disappear from Add/Remove: See here, and here for complete removal instructions.

found it here:

http://naut.homestead.com/files/locked/locked.html#Pre-set

- Collapse -
Further explanation needed
Apr 4, 2007 1:50PM PDT

I've read the two reasons why this page is displayed on the "What's This" link at the top of the page. However, it doesn't explain why I'm getting this page.

I have been redirected to this Dell Search Page many times AFTER the website I am viewing has finished loading. If there is a problem with "resolving" the page, wouldn't that occur before the page is completely loaded? Perhaps it has something to do with bad banners and ads or something...

- Collapse -
What the Dell Guy Neglects to tell you
May 7, 2010 10:40PM PDT

What the Dell Guy above neglects to tell you is the reason that Dell redirects the mistyped URLs is that they hope to get a little bit of the search revenue, instead of letting Google have it, even though by installing the Google toolbar you are redirecting bad URLs to a Google search. Dell is effectively installing something on your computer that is effectively a form of spyware as far as I am concerned.

- Collapse -
thanks, good advice on the Dell crapware-
May 25, 2010 3:32AM PDT

The windows uninstaller was able to remove one of the two same named items that showed up on the list of programs: "browser address error".

I chose to first remove one that had a generic icon, that UAC was unable to identify.

The second, that had a more standard looking icon, as Windows verified program, had no file size associated, and when I tried to uninstall it, I got an error dialog that says "this action valid only for programs that are currently installed".

My question is, why did I have two items displayed in the "control panel, programs and features, uninstall" list, and

Second, could the one that did not install be a virus?

Neither Windows Defender, ESET NOD32 or Panda Cloud have detected a problem, but I know they are not perfect, so I'm slightly concerned and wonder how to get this off the list, even if its just an artifact.

Any ideas? Many thanks to all who help newbs like me....

CNET Forums

Forum Info