Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

beyond desperate and really STOOPID

by cmarzare / March 11, 2007 4:53 AM PDT

I have two drives in my system. an 80gb and a 160gb. the second one has the xp home setup on it.

2 days ago, I did soemthing really stupid; I decided to put Vista Premium on an old 40gb. I disconected the 160gb and connected the 40gb. I left the 80gb on and left it alone.
I started to type in the cd key and went to the next screen where you perform and a clean install and I deleted the 80gb disk instead. SH*T!!! That's not all-I stopped after I deleted the 80gb information and stopped the install. I reconnected my 160gb and left the 80gb alone. The 40gb was off my system now. I couldnt log onto XP Home. I was crapping my pants. I decided to do a repair but couldnt do it because the xp setup cd was crashing on reboots. Couldnt even get as far as loading the initial setup files.
I opened up my case and reset the jumpers on all drives to the master slave settings and made sure all the cables were intact-made sure they were reseated and working. I checked the BIOS and made sure all was well-it is.
Low and behold, I cant get anywhere-I have my xp cd that crashes right before the setup files are laid out, I cant do a last known good config-it restarts, I cant do a safe mode. I am royally F*CKED. Please help me. I have a son that needs the pc for term papers. I want to go back the XP cd and not use the Vista cd because it isnt even usable anymore (I threw it against the wall and it cracked). As it stands right now, i reformatted both drives and now have no music or files or anything. I lost it all and I can live with that. It served me right anyway. Anybody have any ideas????

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
I would take contact the computer maker
by metmichallica / March 11, 2007 5:13 AM PDT

for a restore disk if you didn't make this computer yourself. You should be able to get a restore disk from the company. Take everything you added, hard drive wise out of the computer if you made any changes to your computer since you bought it (that probably would cause a problem if you try to restore the computer and the image is different) and try to restore it with the disk from the company where you bought the computer.

Collapse -
cant do that
by cmarzare / March 11, 2007 5:46 AM PDT

no restore disk-my brother built it himself and he's in Iraq fighting. I havent added anything to the case since he made it for me. He was stumped when I asked him.

Collapse -
"reformatted both drives"
by Kees Bakker / March 11, 2007 5:59 AM PDT

Either something went wrong with the reformat, or there's a hardware problem with the disk.

I'd advice to mount only one disk as a master (that's the disk you want to install XP on) and disconnect the other, Then use XP's partitioning and formatting tools (as explained in the appropiate parts of www.windowsreinstall.com) to reinitialize the disk. As you've already lost everything (as you say) that won't mind, and might help. If it's a SATA disk, some special actions are needed, like pressing F6 and feeding the PC the driver diskette. You don't write anything about that, but it might be a cause of your problems (although it's unlikely given what you write about master and slave switches).

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
I guess that is what sucks about building computers yourself
by metmichallica / March 11, 2007 6:08 AM PDT

If you loose something or need help you have no one to turn to. If it's a legal copy of windows Microsoft might be able to help you get your computer up and running or if you take your computer to a shop, but that will cost you money.

Collapse -
reformatted drives
by cmarzare / March 11, 2007 11:12 AM PDT

I have 2 IDE drives. I tried singling out one master IDE drive and the cd rom became the slave. Nothing. I was wondering if I take all my expansion cards out and take out all of my ram, would that lower the possibilties of not working?

Collapse -
FIXED BABY!!!!!!!!!
by cmarzare / March 14, 2007 3:37 AM PDT
In reply to: reformatted drives

duh, i forgot the oldest trick in the book! I removed all of my peripherals and all the RAM except the 512-it worked beautifully. Added everything back in, one at a time (turn off add a card/memory-turn it back on, restart) and presto!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!