Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Resolved Question

Bewildered in a nutshall.

by shafiqkhan31 / June 15, 2014 12:31 AM PDT

The C/net Moderator had advised on ,"How to remove PUP and other malware some time ago. I had copied his advice and followed it but I have not succeeded in removing the stuff I find unnecessary. I can not see any particular damage done but I know that this stuff should not be on my computer.
My system is : PC running 64 bit Win 7,a large storage disc, a small cache -ready ssd,16 g memory with 3i processor.
I protect my system with AVG anti-virus and free version of Spy-bot S&D anti-malware .All programs come up with,"scan completed successfully ! No malicious items detected. Although I saw the files being scaned by the program
I have tried bleepcomputer "rkill" tools, I have used besttechie antispyware program.
The offending malware is still there.
Please note under no account it be taken as any criticism of the people who advised me. It is my ignorance that I did not succeed.
There are various bits of system32.conf. system32.agent and over a dozen other. There are quite a few others.
I have looked at the Google search and all are potentially dangerous.
How do I know they are there: When I run Spybot, it shows the files it is scanning. All these show up there. Virtuonde.sci and simply Tech , Somoto. betterInstaller.
I would be very grateful if this is resolved.

shafiqkhan31 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bewildered in a nutshall.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bewildered in a nutshall.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Wait a second.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 15, 2014 1:12 AM PDT

RKILL does not remove anything. So maybe we need to discuss what each item does as well as what you want to remove so we can find the right tool.

Spybot is a little dated and I haven't advised it's use for years. If someone advised to use that, then let them answer if it removes what you want to be gone.

-> Now if we take an item and research its removal, we may find that there are no tools that make them go away but a procedure is required. Did you try researching removal of those items?
Bob

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by shafiqkhan31

Collapse -
Observations and Suggestions..
by Carol~ Moderator / June 15, 2014 11:46 AM PDT

In attempt to try to help, I wanted to read what your original problem was. In other words, why Grif's instructions were recommended.

• IF I chose the correct thread from last May .... the first thing which caught my eye was where you wrote:

Today I run a different "pc cleaner" which showed up hundreds of threats along with two "win 32.BitGuard" and" Delta.Toolbar".

Just curious to know what type of "pc cleaner" you were referring to. Was it a registry cleaner? Or only how you would refer to a "tool" which cleans malware and the like? Such as the one's in Grif's instructions? IF it was a registry cleaner or "optimizer" type software, we generally discourage their use.

• In this thread you say you're bewildered. Adding ....

.. All programs come up with,"scan completed successfully ! No malicious items detected. Although I saw the files being scaned by the program . And also ...

How do I know they are there: When I run Spybot, it shows the files it is scanning. All these show up there. Virtuonde.sci and simply Tech , Somoto. betterInstaller.

You indicate there are also others. If Spybot reported you clean, could it be you were looking at the running line of names at the bottom of the screen? IF so, it was what Spybot was checking for, not finding. I do know Spybot checks for Virtumonde and "Somoto.BetterInstaller". It's why I ask. My apologies if I misunderstood what you wrote.

IF the above is not the case, it's possible there are some leftovers from a prior infection. But I do have to add Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is very good at removing leftover registry files. I'm only presuming you scanned with it again, since it (along with AdwCleaner) is in Grif's set of instructions.

Don't want to leave any stone unturned. Happy
Carol

Collapse -
new bit of knowledge.
by shafiqkhan31 / June 15, 2014 9:32 PM PDT

Thank you Carol for your help.
The "the new cleaner" I had refered to was which I never used bar once. I am not exactly sure what it was . I did not trust it and removed it from my system forthwith. The reason I mentioned was that all such helpers offer all in one panacea for all ills.It showed so many that I wondered if there is that much wrong wrong then my computer should not work.
I think you hit the nail right on the head, the Spybot is checking if that program is there or not , and not, that it found it there. I had seen this with one or two other removal programs. So you have solved that issue.
Since there is no noticeable fault I best forget about it.
Grateful to you. N

Collapse -
Glad we were able to help :-)
by Carol~ Moderator / June 16, 2014 10:51 AM PDT
In reply to: new bit of knowledge.

Better yet, it's good to hear ....

'I will feel happy with the situation as it is.'

One last suggestion, which I doubt needs repeating. The next time you get that feeling (and have doubts) about software which 'offers all in one panacea for all ills' ... all you need do is post and ask.

Carol

Collapse -
good observation and suggestions.
by shafiqkhan31 / June 15, 2014 9:39 PM PDT

I think you hit the nail right on the head. Spybot , as you said, was scanning for the offending program, and not suggesting thatvitvfoundcit in my computer.
Very gratful to you.
I will feel hapy with the situation as it is.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?