Samsung forum

General discussion

BEWARE - Samsung = POOR service & support. Save your money!

by Teddy113 / May 16, 2009 5:58 AM PDT

I bought a Samsung LNT4661 (a 46" LCD TV) for about $1800 last January.

The TV is 4 months out of warranty, or 16 months old. The phone support agents claim the TV is supposed to have a lifespan of 15 YEARS.

My TV sometimes goes substantially dark for the bottom 2/3 of the display. It isn't a solid black, it's more like a graded fading over most of the area. It is unwatchable in this condition. I will take pictures and link to them so prospective Samsung buyers can know what they're in for.

I called tech support hoping they could help. The first-line agent told me my colour wheel was broken and that there was nothing they could do to help me. I asked her how a TV supposed to last 15 years could have such a major problem just 4 months out of warranty. I know that Samsung uses cheaper parts to save money on EVERYBODY's TV, but I don't think it's fair that I should pay for an expensive TV that is potentially dead just 4 months out of warranty. I do not overwatch or abuse my TV. It has sat in a corner and has been carefully treated for the entire 16 months I've owned it.

I asked to be put through to a supervisor. I was given Tom. Tom told me that there was nothing he could to do help me out. He could not extend my warranty or make an exception. He told me he had no ability to do such things.

I asked how I could contact someone higher up to voice my concerns. I am not calling 10 years after buying a TV. This is a $2000 TV that is dieing *16 months* after purchase. Who would buy a Samsung TV knowing this would happen!?

I was put through to Brandon, the on-duty technical support manager. Brandon repeated Tom's point and told me that I was on my own. He told me there could be any number of issues with the TV, and in the worst case my LCD screen would be broken and the entire TV would need to be replaced. He also mentioned that my TV doesn't have a colour wheel. This made me wonder: if their own technical agents are lieing to me about what's broken on my TV, what else could Samsung be doing wrong? Could these same people be responsible for building my defective set? How could an agent tell me that my colour wheel was broken when LCD TVs (according to Brandon) don't have colour wheels!

I consider this to be terrible service. When I spend $2000 on a TV I expect that it will not break within 16 months. I understand that Samsung can only pay for parts for a certain amount of time, but this is clearly a defective unit. People should be aware that Samsung is making units that are going to die a few months out of warranty.

I'm not sure where to go from here. I don't think I want to spend hundreds of dollars to repair a TV.. but to buy a new TV so soon? This is absurd. I don't think I can trust Samsung again, and I don't think you should either.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BEWARE - Samsung = POOR service & support. Save your money!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BEWARE - Samsung = POOR service & support. Save your money!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Bad tv
by skyscanr / May 16, 2009 4:19 PM PDT

That's why you buy a service plan. I did and just got my soon to be 2 year old 4061f fixed for free

I got a new panel, power supply and main board replaced .

I did not have to do anything but make a call .

I don't mean to be little your problem but did samsung send you a offer to sell you a plan?

Collapse -
bad company
by Teddy113 / May 16, 2009 8:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Bad tv

I bought from Bestbuy, not Samsung, so they never offered me a plan.. maybe something was mentioned in the literature that came with the TV, I don't know.

But frankly when someone pays $2000 for a TV I think the idea of paying an additional few hundred to ensure it works for 2 years is ridiculous. We deserve better than that.

Collapse -
Product lifetime warrenty?
by MrDerbyUK / May 16, 2009 8:35 PM PDT
In reply to: bad company

Hi,

I don't know about the US but in the UK the sale of goods act has wording that is along the lines of 'A reasonable lifetime' of the product before faults occur. Therefore if a fault develops on a product in that time frame you can negotiate a repair/replacement for free or limited cost.

Its one reason why Microsoft have the red ring of death 3 year repair for free warranty.

Is there nothing similar in US sales law?

And as a footnote, as technology increases in electronic appliances and the pressure to reduce turn around of getting new features to market increases, the end result is more units having problems across manufacturers. Although this isn't much comfort to you Sad

Reference:
http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html

Thanks

Collapse -
bad tv
by skyscanr / May 17, 2009 12:26 AM PDT

I also got my tv from best buy. But I also regerstered my tv on samsung.com .

After the factory warrenty ran out I got all kinds of mail from them offering to extend it for a price.

You didn't get the plan from best buy when you got your tv?

I know a lot of folks think these plans are a waste of money , but it's a gamble that you would have won this time.

Collapse -
bad company
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 17, 2009 6:36 AM PDT

Teddy113,

Just to clear up, Samsung does offer a plan, but it requires the customer to inquire, and it tends to be more expensive (from what I've seen people say) than a retailer's warranty. Best Buy, and retailers in general, have a competitive service plan tier, and they usually ask on the sales floor while you're ringing it up if you want the plan.

I'm surprised they didn't offer you one, but they have literature all over the store promoting extended warranties to cover issues that can (and do) go wrong. It's up to you if you want to insure a high dollar purchase if something goes wrong after the manufacturer's warranty ends. If you don't, and something goes wrong, there's no coverage to repair the television.

1 year parts and labor is a standard manufacturer's warranty for televisions. I'm not sure why the outcry or accusations of "bad company" among other terms are used when we diligently fix issues that happen within a year of ownership. The unit can be repaired, and we have the parts available, and even have a network of service technicians to do the job. But after 1 year, the cost isn't covered by the manufacturer.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Bad TV
by Teddy113 / May 19, 2009 9:47 AM PDT

I think you've missed the point.

A $2000 TV should not break down after 16 months, regardless of whether the customer has purchased the warranty. That it does says something about the quality of the product.

Collapse -
I disagree with you
by mikemelo13 / May 19, 2009 10:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Bad TV

a $2000 TV isn't suppose to break down correct but what you are asking is something uterly obserd. You except every single item to run 100% perfect that doesn't make sense. I am in total agreement with your frustration but I have had my samsung for 9 months now and I called them yesturday becuase I thought I had an issue with my HDMI imputs and I had a tech shipped out to my house in less than 18 hours and came to check up on it and nothing was wrong it was a different piece of equiptment that was the problem. There testing was very extensive and they also wrote every single outcome that happened during the whole time they tested the machine. I commend this company on their impecable customer service. I understand that you are over the standard 1 year warrenty but if you decide to buy a $2000 item and basically not insure it with an extra warrenty then I'm sorry but that isn't smart consumer practise no offence. Basically it is like buying a brand new car and not putting insurance on it or anything. Yeah you spend a ton of money but things can happen.

Collapse -
credit card
by xgolferx / May 17, 2009 2:29 AM PDT

Some credit cards double the warranty period. If you purchased your tv with a credit card check with them to see if you have this feature.

Collapse -
credit card
by expertcredit09 / August 31, 2009 3:53 PM PDT
In reply to: credit card
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?