Speakeasy forum

General discussion

BEWARE OF THIS WEBSITE

by azimm1979 / March 18, 2009 4:03 AM PDT

Has anyone ever heard of Http://dotbestshop.com ? They supposedly sell cheap (inexpensive) electronics. They have a British, German, and Spanish? Flag on the homepage, as well as a currency dropdown bar. I clicked on "About Us" and it just takes me back to the Home Page. The reason I am weary of this website, is because 1> they only let you checkout if your total is over $500 2> I tried to buy a Sony Bravia 52XBR5 from them, at about $1500 less than I've seen anywhere else, and it said that "Western Union wire transfer" was the only way to pay for this item. I don't believe a legitamite online retailer would require wire transfers. If anyon else has been to this website, or knows about it, please reply. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BEWARE OF THIS WEBSITE
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BEWARE OF THIS WEBSITE
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
From your discription, I'd agree
by Steven Haninger / March 18, 2009 4:08 AM PDT
In reply to: BEWARE OF THIS WEBSITE

Beware. The old adage still applies. If something seems too good to be true......

Collapse -
Continued..
by azimm1979 / March 18, 2009 4:16 AM PDT

I just tried to email them to ask some questions, and their email address (sales@dot-bestshop.com) and I got back a delivery failure notice. Does anyone know an organization I can report this website to? I have no idea where I would go to do that. Thanks.

Collapse -
Since they want you to 'wire" money
by JP Bill / March 18, 2009 4:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Continued..

And I have read about the FBI bringing "wire fraud" charges.

Contact the FBI?

Collapse -
i wouldn't send money to a PO box
by jonah jones / March 18, 2009 4:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Continued..

Domain Name.......... dot-bestshop.com
Creation Date........ 2009-03-17
Registration Date.... 2009-03-17
Expiry Date.......... 2010-03-17
Organisation Name.... Jennifer Jones
Organisation Address. P O Box 99800
Organisation Address.
Organisation Address. EmeryVille
Organisation Address. 94662
Organisation Address. CA
Organisation Address. US

Admin Name........... PrivateRegContact Admin
Admin Address........ P O Box 99800
Admin Address........
Admin Address........ EmeryVille
Admin Address........ 94662
Admin Address........ CA
Admin Address........ US
Admin Email.......... contact@myprivateregistration.com
Admin Phone.......... +1.5105952002

Collapse -
Yeah...something funny going around here
by Steven Haninger / March 18, 2009 4:59 AM PDT

and me thinks not just with the noted site. Wink

Collapse -
Suspecious Website
by dawgfrmn / March 18, 2009 4:52 AM PDT

Thank you all for posting. I placed an order this morning on this website and was sent an email stating to wire the money via western union to a person in Rome, Italy. Their website shows paypal and Visa/Mastercard logos, so a red flag went. I immediately googled the company and searched to see if they were reputable, but at the time no one had posted anything, so I ALMOST took a chance. I decided to email them back to as why paypal wasn't available, and my emails were sent back "non-deliverable". I tried two differents email addresses for them and all of them were sent back. Did this company just go online today? Also, when I googled them, their name came up on a list of "domain names for sale". Really strange. Bumbed though. They do have "unbelievable" prices. lol

Collapse -
From the initial information you provided
by Angeline Booher / March 18, 2009 5:12 AM PDT

....... a whole bunch of red flags were raised. You saw them, and thus wrote "Beware!" in caps in your subject line.

IMO, it would have been wiser to not have respond to the email address they provided.

I don't know how you initially found the site. whether via an email, via a search for bargain prices, etc.

In the future, please do not include email address and URL's. The name of an iffy site is enough.

I recommend you buy only from sites that do not advertise prices that, as was said earlier, are "too good to be true".

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
You are aware that all Europe is PAL as a zone
by Ziks511 / March 18, 2009 6:22 PM PDT

and is not compatible with NTSC and will not function here unless all of your peripherals are also PAL or Multisystem. You will have to run them all on Transformers which run up significant bills, and god help you if you have service problems.

Rob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?