General discussion

Beware of the Toshiba Depot Express warranty program!

I purchased a Toshiba notebook 2 1/2 years ago for my business. At the time of purchase, I called Toshiba and discussed their service plans. I needed a service plan with minimal downtime should something go wrong, and Toshiba recommended their SystemGuard with Depot Express. The representative said that they would ship back a repaired or replaced unit the same day should something go wrong.

Well, after over two years the screen started to have problems. I called up Toshiba Depot Express and explained the problem, and also my concern about turn around time. They assured me they would be able to repair and send it back within 24 hours of receiving the unit. So I backed up my data and sent it in. A couple days later I tried to track the repair on Toshiba's site, but it said no data was available for my ticket number. So, I gave them a call and they said that parts are backordered, and hopefully will be in sometime next week! I paid several hundred dollars for same day service! They said there is nothing they can do because they don't stock the parts in the US. Well, I asked, how can they sell same day service if they don't stock the parts to back it up? Anyone can make lots of money selling a same day service program and not spending what it takes to stock the parts. In my opinion, this is a dishonest business practice. At the bare minimum, I should have been informed of the possibility it would take longer before sending in my notebook.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Beware of the Toshiba Depot Express warranty program!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Beware of the Toshiba Depot Express warranty program!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
It is same day (please read...)
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7587-0.html?forumID=69&threadID=27356&messageID=307994&tag= notes an article in which Toshiba is revamping their service centers in the US. The service will not be your same day, but sadly the same day they get the parts...

I know this issue too well and feel free to dig around that article to see if you can find contacts at Toshiba.

Remember never to rant, yell or threaten those you are calling or you may find help to move even further away.

Bob
- Collapse -
Re: Beware of the Toshiba Depot Express warranty program!

I wish I've read your note when I was getting my Toshiba. My experience with this Depot Express service has been a horror story. I had to send the unit to them twice. In October, and in December. They could not fix the problem in two weeks at a time!!! Still waiting for the parts. I am getting my computer back unrepaired as I cannot wait for more than two weeks due to my travel.

This is my last Toshiba. I will NEVER get another one. And will shout laud and clear for anyone not to make such a mistake. Never get a Toshiba. There are lots of others companies with honest record, efficient service and superior machines.

- Collapse -
Re: Beware of the Toshiba Depot Express warranty program!

Also, I have read in the past that Toshiba will not give you a replacement notebook (lemon exchange) while HP/Compaq will do this in some cases (case by case basis).

That does not mean the HP/Compaq service overall is any better than Toshiba (Dell, Toshiba and HP/Compaq are all midpack - Apple is #1 and IBM is #2, Sony is dead last). But these 2 items of Toshiba service are troubling.

I am not aware of HP/Compaq offering a 24 hour turnaround warranty at all as this is just not realistic anymore with most notebooks being made under contract in China. So that warranty practice is deceptive.

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Toshiba LEMON
- Collapse -
Toshiba LEMON

I wish I had read your post before I purchased my new "LEMON" Toshiba notebook. I turned my notebook on 3 times and the 3rd time is was done! It had worked all of 4 hours and it was suspose to be brand new. It has now been at the Repair Depot a month and they say it will be fixed in another, maybe ten days . ( when it had been there 10 days , they said another 4. At 2 weeks they said another 4 or 5 , at 30 days they now say another 10)This is REAL FAST service ! Hardly what you'd expect from a company that makes computers. I asked about a replacement and their response was " we don't replace them , we fix them". But obviously not very fast. The very last thing I have to say is, Don't buy Toshiba , if you do you are just buying into aggravation. Once they have your money, if you get a"Lemon"you are out of luck.

- Collapse -
RE:

2 1/2 years ago? What model notebook did you buy? As fast as notebook technology is progressing now, I am not surprised that the parts were not in stock. That's why I replace my notebook yearly, and I don't buy extended warranties.

- Collapse -
Don't buy Toshiba laptop

The backlight of my Satellite C655 went off only 4 months after purchase, and I have to pay shipping for in warranty repair, not to say I am still waiting 2 weeks after sending it out.

CNET Forums

Forum Info