General discussion

better than Canon S3 IS....

I have the Canon S3IS and I love it. I am an assistant coach for the high school spirit squad and need to take a lot of action shots...alot of which are outside at night at football games or inside in the gym with bad lighting. I use the sports setting set at the multi shot setting to take constant pictures to get the girls in the air etc... but the pictures end up grainy. which is fine for 4x6 but if I end up getting that perfect shot, I would love to be able to blow it up and when I do, they are grainy. Please give me some recommendations that I could use to find the perfect camera. By the way, I am not a pro, but I like to pretend I am..ha ha... I LOVE taking pictures of everything and do take pictures of everything. So it has to be a multi purpose camera for a reasonable price...Thank you !!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: better than Canon S3 IS....
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: better than Canon S3 IS....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Low Light
- Collapse -
As cheap as possible

First, you want a DSLR. Second, you need a bright lens. Since you're the assistant coach, I'm going to assume you can get relatively close to your squad, and not have to take your photos from hundreds of feet away. You can probably buy a Sony A230 for under $350, including the "kit" 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 zoom lens. That lens won't be bright enough. The brightest you can get at a reasonable cost is the non-zoom 50mm f/1.8 lens. That you can get for about $125. For a little more reach, the 85mm f/2.8 lens is about $225. Total for the camera and two extra lenses, $700. If you get a Canon and a similar set-up, that would run about $1000.

CNET Forums

Forum Info