PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Better CPU versus more RAM??

by huskervol / January 19, 2007 11:10 AM PST

Which is more important in a new system, a combo of a Core 2 Duo 6300 with 2 Gig of RAM OR a Core 2 Duo 6600 and just 1 Gig of RAM.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Better CPU versus more RAM??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Better CPU versus more RAM??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can you be more specific ...doing what ?
by VAPCMD / January 19, 2007 11:18 AM PST

Playing games, compiling software, creating video, etc., ???

VAPCMD

Collapse -
CPU vs RAM
by huskervol / January 19, 2007 11:23 AM PST

Primarily games, I have already decided on a GeForce 8800 GTS. I realize with this much money I should just get both the 6600 and the 2 gig of RAM but doing both is another 200 bucks.

Thanks

Collapse -
(NT) Get both if possible...if not get the 2GB RAM
by VAPCMD / January 19, 2007 11:28 AM PST
In reply to: CPU vs RAM
Collapse -
(NT) Thanks
by huskervol / January 19, 2007 11:33 AM PST
Collapse -
Try...
by Willy / January 19, 2007 11:56 AM PST

Buy the best cpu and a practical amount of ram. You can usually add ram later and even replace the cpu, but adding ram is such an easier task. Buy the ram in the biggest modules possible. If you can swing it, buy two ram modules of the largest installable as they'll be a better matched set.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Don't think the E6600 will overpower the E6300 as it
by VAPCMD / January 19, 2007 11:04 PM PST
In reply to: Try...

pertains to games when offset by an extra 1GB RAM. The extra RAM will really help in some games now perhaps more later. Notwithstanding a little overclocking could easily offset that.

Re RAM...much better to get all the RAM you're going to get at the beginning. Otherwise folks will get 2-512MB DIMMs and then later have to add 2-512MB DIMMs later. Don't know how this works with DDR2 and the newer chipsets but some of the AMD systems reduced the FSB when going from 2 DIMMs to 4 DIMMs say from 400MHz to 333MHz. With 2-1GB DIMMs ... that's not a problem and you take advantage of the dual-channel memory architecture. If you started the system with 1GB DIMM...then you'd reduce the memory bandwith. I avoid using unmatched DIMMs wherever possible.

As suggested...both the E6600 CPU and 2GB RAM are the first choice but if not in the budget...I'd get the E6300 and the 2GB RAM. The E6300 is highly overclockable if one chooses that approach to generate more speed.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Get the better CPU
by linkit / January 19, 2007 2:24 PM PST

Get the better CPU (E6600). Add more RAM later if the need arises.

Collapse -
Vista is recommending
by william551 / January 20, 2007 1:11 AM PST

2 gigs or ram anyway.

Collapse -
Agree...2GBs RAM for high-end games and
by VAPCMD / January 20, 2007 3:25 AM PST
In reply to: Vista is recommending

whatever else (Vista) is around the corner.

After seeing all the problems folks encounter trying to go from 1GB (using 2-512MBs) to 2GB (using 4-512MBs), no way I want to go thru that goat rope.

VAPCMD

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!