General discussion

Better choice for playing Video

Hi recently purchased Series 7 LCD (LA55C750) in Australia. What is the best choice for playing video files?

Option 1 - Get the Samsung LAN adapter and stream directly from my iMac? (Is Wifi able to deliver HD Quality clearly, and does this affect download allowance?)

Option 2 - get a HDD and connect to USB port and play from there?
(Does anyone know which HDD brands are compatible?)

Does anyone know which is better or any issues related with either option?

Thanks

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Better choice for playing Video
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Better choice for playing Video
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Better choice for playing Video

barrelled,

Several users have noted that they're able to play files easier with an attached storage drive than through streaming, if that's any indication of what I see posted on C|Net. This may have to do with router and network configurations, and unfortunately, I can't determine in those cases why something may or may not be working. The TV officially supports MSC Class devices (like thumb-drives), however, for HDD drives, it can be hit and miss. A powered USB drive is probably going to deliver best results.

Streaming from a Mac may be more difficult, since the DLNA software that is designed for the TV is PC based. The thumbdrive would be the MOST logical device, and HDD drives, therefore, may also work.

Does that help?

--HDTech

- Collapse -
Better choice for playing video

Thanks for that, the more I read I agree that a HDD will be a lot better especially for large files. I have been told that the Seagate GoFLex should work given that it is PC/MAC compatible without needing to reformat between the 2. Also Im not sure if the current TV's still do not decode DTS from MKV files, a common problem in a lot of older threads?

I am also getting a 3d Bluray player that apparently will decode DTS if my TV wont so would I just be better off connecting HDD to Bluray instead of TV? Will the result be any better or worse, given that the bluray will be through HDMI, whereas a HDD direct into TV will be USB 2.0?

Thanks again, sorry, just want to get the right stuff to get the best from my new TV.

CNET Forums

Forum Info