Question

best zoom camera under 500.00

Aug 7, 2016 7:57AM PDT

What would be the best camera to buy that will create a good image at 100 yards

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: best zoom camera under 500.00
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: best zoom camera under 500.00
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
re: a good image at 100 yards
Aug 8, 2016 6:13PM PDT

Good image of what? Under what kind of conditions?

There's a huge difference between, for example, a bird perched in a tree in broad daylight and a football player catching a pass under the lights at night.

- Collapse -
Answer
That's a little vague.
Aug 7, 2016 8:01AM PDT

I don't think I've ever found such a comparison to date. What you might try is shortlisting models under 500, see what zoom that provide, look at the highest zoom capability and then, knowing you must put it on a tripod, make a choice.

- Collapse -
ZOOM CAPABILITY
Aug 7, 2016 10:24AM PDT

My Fuji 1800 does well close-up but not at 50+ feet. I'd like a zoom that will give me good pictures at 50 + feet. Thanks for the info though

- Collapse -
I can't guess what you consider good enough.
Aug 7, 2016 10:36AM PDT

My best camera is my t5i with it's 250mm lens. The t5i's big sensor helps but it must still be on a tripod. Even with that, I can't get a face shot at 100 feet. It does however do very well for shots far away in my opinion.

Is there a store you can try out some camera with say a 250 or 300mm lens?

- Collapse -
Looked up the 1800.
Aug 7, 2016 10:41AM PDT
- Collapse -
Answer
Zoom
Aug 7, 2016 8:18PM PDT

Take a look at the Canon SX540HS.

It has a 50X Lens and produces sharp clear photos.

CNET Forums

Forum Info