Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

best website design

by soi4 / August 24, 2005 5:04 PM PDT

hi. i was wondering if you have a favorite site that lists something like their top 100 or top 20 websites as judged by design? of course, i sometimes just do a random search for such sites but it's always a hit and miss thing. looking at good examples is, of course, a good way to get a sense of what's considered good and to find examples for one's own design.

so if you know of a site or sites that you like, would you post them for us all? thanks for any suggestions you might have Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: best website design
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: best website design
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The best issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 24, 2005 9:38 PM PDT
In reply to: best website design

Take a look at the web sites that people use.

If you want a desing contest, then that's a different sort of "best design" test. I've seen these "best of the web" contests and many end up being an art majors gallery.

Google may not win a design contest on their looks, but billions served...

Bob

Collapse -
thanks for your reply
by soi4 / August 25, 2005 5:07 AM PDT
In reply to: The best issue.

thanks bob. actually, i was looking for a list of websites that have "won" on the basis of their "looks" instead of their popularity. clearly, i'm interested in the graphic design excellence vs functionality, etc.

of course, i understand that a great looking site may have almost no traffic but that's not what i'm looking for. i'm interested in looking for sites that look good and of course the interface should make sense but i'm primarily interested in the site's asthetics.

Collapse -
Feel free to take it from the top.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 25, 2005 8:17 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks for your reply

Google, to me is not the winner by popularity but beauty in interface and delivery.

As to arts interface and such, clickr is interesting.

Bob

Collapse -
thanks again :-)
by soi4 / August 25, 2005 10:17 AM PDT

hi bob. yes, interface and delivery are very important in terms of function and usability and i do use google very often, but i'm more interested in just the "looks" of well designed sites. an example would be this:

http://www.louvre.fr/llv/commun/home_flash.jsp?bmLocale=en

not only is it functional but it also looks pretty good. (I personally prefer static pages vs flash pages with movement, but i think you'll get a better understanding of what i'm after by looking at that page.)

ideally, of course, a website will look good AND be very functional.

once again, thanks for taking the time to give me your thoughts on the subject.

by the way, i can't find the example you gave. it is clickr.com, clickr.net, clickr.org, other? i can't seem to find it.

thanks.

Collapse -
Very nice for the artistic endeavors.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 25, 2005 10:57 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks again :-)

Here I'm near this site -> http://www.mfa.org/

But MFA's site is sterile compared to your example.

Bob

Collapse -
thanks bob
by soi4 / August 25, 2005 5:30 PM PDT

the mfa site isn't very bad. as you can see, they're actually pretty similar on the surface. (by the way, i've been there and like it a lot. a person could spend days there!)

at the risk of being overly redundant, one thing i've learned over the years is that a knowledge of html is VERY different from a knowledge of graphic design principles. there are a lot of people who create an error free site but who lack good graphic design skills and consequently, their websites don't get the attention they deserve. i'm like that. i don't have a graphic design background and so i need to do a lot of reading and studying. i've grown to appreciate people with graphic design skills. they know how to use space, color, shapes, etc. to create an attractive interface and when done well, it enhances the mission of the site.

thanks again.

Collapse -
a couple
by slim___shady / August 26, 2005 3:21 AM PDT

www.alistapart.com
www.2advanced.com

Collapse -
thanks slim
by soi4 / August 26, 2005 9:13 AM PDT
In reply to: a couple

for your suggestions. that first one is very simple but nice; kinda reminds me of apple's site. a lot of space and white.

the second one; wow. pretty cool use of flash, although i'm personally more interested in statically designed pages. still, for flash sites, that place rocks.

thanks again!

Collapse -
Two website showcases
by hfguide / September 5, 2005 10:54 PM PDT
Collapse -
cool sites
by soi4 / September 6, 2005 5:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Two website showcases

hi and thanks for the suggestions/links. i've actually seen those sites before and that's exactly the kind of stuff i was thinking of; i'm just looking for more sites like that.

thanks again!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!