Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Best Way To Tell If A Website Is Safe

by moranacus / June 16, 2009 5:57 AM PDT

I have WOT and Link Scanner Pro installed so when I do a search it and they both show green the website is suppose to be SAFE.
What is the best way to tell if a website is SAFE????
Both programs show YouTube as being SAFE but I was told that
you can get virus's there.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best Way To Tell If A Website Is Safe
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best Way To Tell If A Website Is Safe
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Youtube.com is a safe website
by Donna Buenaventura / June 16, 2009 7:50 AM PDT

I often visit it when I want to view some video-clips Happy

What you need is make sure your malware protection tools is running and always up-to-date so it will catch any virus or malware on files or pages that you will view or click.

If you have Youtube account and have receive unknown private messages to click/view on videos, do not simply view it. There are reports of such virus/malware via private messaging and even "spam" comments in Youtube that will serve malware.

Collapse -
But Safe To Download????
by moranacus / June 16, 2009 8:05 AM PDT

Is it safe to download videos from YouTube as well????
If so, should I scan any video I download with all my security programs???? (Avast, Trojan Hunter, MBAM, SAS and the free version
o A-Square just to be safe????
Also, if its safe to download videos what is the safest program to use for downloading the videos, to convert these videos to a different format other then the FLV and the safest program to extract audio from the video if you want a song from it????

Collapse -
Everything you will download
by Donna Buenaventura / June 16, 2009 8:19 AM PDT

should be scan in real-time by Avast so you have to make sure Avast! is always up-to-date and running.

Youtube do not allow downloading the videos because it's against their rules but if you want to continue doing that, it's up to you. Just reminding that it's against their Terms of Use.

For media conversion program, I have use and still installed here a Media Converter SA edition: http://download.cnet.com/Media-Converter-SA-Edition/3000-2194_4-10682993.html
There is v0.8 but the vendor of this software seems stopped providing it.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?